Sponsored

Video: Ecoboost -- factory sound symposer vs natural sound

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury

Since there's been quite a bit of discussion regarding the interior engine sound in the Ecoboost, I thought I'd post a video comparing the stock sound vs. the natural sound. I made two runs, the first with the "natural" sound -- fuse #27 pulled -- and the second in stock configuration. The video consists of accelerating onto an entrance ramp, coming to a stop, then an 0-65 run onto the highway.

I like the way it sounds either way. To me, the stock sound is just a bit deeper. You can decide for yourself......

One last note -- I don't understand all the hoopla over the engine sound. I mean, I get it, but give it a rest already. It appears to me, that the majority of those that are adamant that the sound is "fake" aren't going to buy an Ecoboost anyway.

Anyway, here it is:

[ame]

Also, here's a video from COBB showing the sound symposer:

[ame]
Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
haha there is BARELY a difference. Ford was surgical with the noise alteration. The point was to mute out some of the turbo noise and amplify the 'good', but they really took a limited approach with it. It sounds fine either way IMO

people need to chiiiiillllllll

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Is it weird that for what it is (turbo 4 cyl), I prefer the natural sound? Reminds me of the 2010-2013 Mazdaspeed3.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The only difference I could pick up was that odd warble (similar to the one that the WRX/STi's UEL headers create) with the active noise thing activated.

It sounds much more like a natural blown four without it. I'm actually not sure why they even bothered with this.

OP
OP
mj

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you jump between the :58 mark and the 1:59 mark, you get a good comparison of the 0-65 runs back to back.

Also..... I just noticed the cool 1-2 shift chirp -- it reverberates off the underside of the bridge!

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Thanks for posting MJ...good video. You can tell a difference with the deepness of it...cleans it up.

I think there is still a sound tube from the EB engine to the cabin (V8 has one also)...anyone confirm this?

OP
OP
mj

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting MJ...good video. You can tell a difference with the deepness of it...cleans it up.

I think there is still a sound tube from the EB engine to the cabin (V8 has one also)...anyone confirm this?
I've checked the engine compartment thoroughly and haven't seen one. I'll look again soon.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
makes you wonder about the Jason Cammisa guy who started it all with the twitter post. Saying that pulling the fuse makes it go quiet seems like a seriously deliberate exaggeration. Must be a chevy guy.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I've checked the engine compartment thoroughly and haven't seen one. I'll look again soon.
Here's the one on the 2015 V8...

http://www.speednik.com/files/2014/01/Analyiss-2015b.jpeg

makes you wonder about the Jason Cammisa guy who started it all with the twitter post. Saying that pulling the fuse makes it go quiet seems like a seriously deliberate exaggeration. Must be a chevy guy.
MJ should tweet the guy his video and then ask what he was testing.

OP
OP
mj

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MJ should tweet the guy his video and then ask what he was testing.
I'm not on twitter, but feel free to send him a link to this thread!

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Is it weird that for what it is (turbo 4 cyl), I prefer the natural sound? Reminds me of the 2010-2013 Mazdaspeed3.
I actually like the unaltered sound better too, lol. Ford probably regrets even doing this now if they've been reading the forums. Either way it sounds good to me, and there is obviously almost no discernible difference, so THANK YOU for making this video. Hopefully everyone will now be able to take a deep breath and shut up about it. :paddle: