Sponsored

Ventilation Issue - Footwell Vents

jpd_f550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/Perf. Package, 1995 Mustang GT
It's starting to get a little cooler in the mornings, so I'm using the heat. Most of the time I prefer the heat to come from only the footwell.

This morning I had the fan speed set to maximum while I let the car warm up. When I began my commute, I pressed the footwell button while the fan speed remained on maximum. I heard and felt the air blowing strongly from the defroster vents as if the defroster was on. Not much air came from the footwell. This seemed odd to me as my other 4 vehicles (one being a '95 Mustang) do not behave like this when set to footwell-only.

I tried cycling through several modes with the fan speed lowered to see if the increased fan speed kept dampers from moving properly. It continued to blow mostly through the defrost vents.

Is this normal and something I haven't noticed before or is there likely something wrong? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I plan to investigate a little more on my commute home.
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Make sure the defrost button is not on. I think it over rides all the other settings.

OP
OP

jpd_f550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure the defrost button is not on. I think it over rides all the other settings.
That was the first thing I checked. It was off. Footwell was the only thing active.

Using the "MAX Defrost" setting may override all other settings, but I've used defrost, dash vents, and footwell vents simultaneously in the past. The premium models may behave differently, I cannot say as mine is only the base.

OP
OP

jpd_f550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's starting to get a little cooler in the mornings, so I'm using the heat. Most of the time I prefer the heat to come from only the footwell.

This morning I had the fan speed set to maximum while I let the car warm up. When I began my commute, I pressed the footwell button while the fan speed remained on maximum. I heard and felt the air blowing strongly from the defroster vents as if the defroster was on. Not much air came from the footwell. This seemed odd to me as my other 4 vehicles (one being a '95 Mustang) do not behave like this when set to footwell-only.

I tried cycling through several modes with the fan speed lowered to see if the increased fan speed kept dampers from moving properly. It continued to blow mostly through the defrost vents.

Is this normal and something I haven't noticed before or is there likely something wrong? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I plan to investigate a little more on my commute home.
I played around a little on my way home and I couldn't get it to stop blowing out of the defrost vents unless I selected only the dash vents.

Selecting footwell-only seems to send about 50% of the air through the defrost vents and 50% through the footwell vents. This seems like the wrong behavior to me.
Sponsored