Sponsored

UPR / Ford Racing Oil Separator Upgrade Kit Review

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
Greetings,

I figured this needs its own thread as to not derail or clutter other threads. Please note I have not been contact by UPR or any company to do this review in exchange for any discount or services.

The Product: http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-pro-series-hose-upgrade-ford-racing-separator-11.html#1

The What: This is a upgrade kit for the Ford Racing / Performance oil catch can. Listed here among other places: http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...e-2015-2016-mustang-gt-oil-air-separator.html

The Why?: To supposedly aid and increase performance in catching oil over the base unit sold by Ford Performance.

The Testing:

- 500 miles stock run with the base Ford Performance Oil Separator. Measure oil in can using syringe in ML.

- 500 miles with UPR add on product then measured.

Car: Mostly stock 2016 Mustang GT. Auto base model. Approx. 1500 miles so past the break in period. Will be driven 'normally' with spirited driving and daily commute.

Conditions: Will record daily temps and humidity.

Part has been ordered and will start stock testing today.

Day 1: Low of about 32 with 74% humidity. High of about 56.
Day 2: Low of about 34 with 61% humidity. High of about 56.
Day 3: Low of about 43 with 45% humidity. High of about 59.
Day 4: Not enough drive time to log or be relevant.
Day 5: Low of about 32 with 49% humidity. High of about 69.
Day 6: Low of about 50 with 57% humidity. High of about 77.
Day 7: Low of about 55 with 57% humidity. High of about 80. FML getting hot again.
Day 8: Low of about 61 with 54% humidity. High of about 82. Duuuuude comon its not summer yet.
Sponsored

Last edited:

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
I can't wait to see the test. I was going to order a set for mine until I saw that it was going to cost over $16 to ship it. I'm not paying that much to get two small hoses sent to me.

Wayne

OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
And were off. Should take about 2 weeks to reach 500mi with how much and often I drive. Maybe a little sooner. Also I do a lot of driving in S mode and tend to get on it. So while it wont be under race conditions it wont be babied.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
Alright received the UPR hoses.

They seem to be sealed well as they hold pressure. Construction seems solid enough however not sure if I will be a fan of the connectors as they seem sorta flimsy. We will see once I hook them up to the car.

I can't verify if there is even anything inside the tube as I have no way of seeing it. Or if there is even a way to service/clean the piece. As there are no instructions or pamphlet included.

Overall so far based on initial impressions based not on performance (yet) I don't feel it's worth the asking price for some hose and plastic ends. However IF it performs significantly better over the stock pieces it could still justify the price.

I want to be enthusiastic about it however considering the ford racing performance unit itself is about 160 and this upgrade is about 60 shipped I am left wondering if the price justifies the end result. Only time will tell at this point.

I will probably not be putting any drive time on the stang this weekend but if I do I will report current mileage and temps. Not sure if temps and humidity is useful data so let me know if anyone will actually use it.

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
I always thought that the UPR plastic ends felt as stout as the factory Ford ones. How did you get your hoses for $60 shipped? When I went to purchase some, they were going to charge me over $16 to ship on top of the $59.99 price for the hoses for a total of over $76 which I felt were not worth it so I didn't order them.

Even if your test shows that these hoses do help, I highly doubt I can get myself to pay that much for shipping. There has to be a cheaper way to ship these.

I'm thinking of buying some stainless steel mesh and just putting it in the bottom of the separator kind of like how the Bob's can is set up if I don't like how it performs like it is.

As far as temperature and humidity goes, I'm not sure how much it will effect the results unless you could determine if the engine department temps were a lot different during the different ambient outside temps. You can always just give us the info as it doesn't take much effort to do so.

Wayne

abuch91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Why not just buy UPR's can that includes the hoses for cheaper than the Ford unit?

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I think UPR offers free shipping to forum members. E-mail UPR and ask. I do this before I buy from any vendor. You'd be surprised at the discounts you can get just by being on the forum. :thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
Why not just buy UPR's can that includes the hoses for cheaper than the Ford unit?
Because I already had the ford unit. And no idea if this combo is either more or less efficient than the UPR version.

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
I think UPR offers free shipping to forum members. E-mail UPR and ask. I do this before I buy from any vendor. You'd be surprised at the discounts you can get just by being on the forum. :thumbsup:
Ok, thanks. I will try that if I decide to buy this.

Wayne

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I can't verify if there is even anything inside the tube as I have no way of seeing it.
See if you can find something really shiny to use as a small inspection mirror, and look down at the 90 deg bend with it and a strong flashlight to see if you can spot the filter inside the hose. I'm assuming the filter is built into the hose permanently, and it therefore can not be removed. There might also be a one-way check valve in one of the hoses.

Reactions: GDP
OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
See if you can find something really shiny to use as a small inspection mirror, and look down at the 90 deg bend with it and a strong flashlight to see if you can spot the filter inside the hose. I'm assuming the filter is built into the hose permanently, and it therefore can not be removed. There might also be a one-way check valve in one of the hoses.
Yeah I was able to stick a piece of small tubing inside and did hit something. And no check valve from what I can tell by blowing through all 4 ends.

I did end up putting about 25 miles on the mustang today. At about 110 miles now so far in this test.

Also thinking about this design I have to wonder if some oil will actually drain back to the head given the coalescing sponge being right at the end where it plugs into the head cover. I suppose if I see I significant drop in oil collection I would assume this to be true.

Then the question becomes is that desirable or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
Didn't really drive anywhere today enough to log data. Will resume tomorrow. Getting harder and harder to resist putting on the new parts. Buts it's all for not if I don't know if they are even more efficient.
Sponsored