Sponsored

Tyre Pressure Question

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
If you run at 28 long term you will get accelerated shoulder wear.

Ford say 32 so I run at 32. On a track you would run higher still.
you can do if you go excessively low but for me its worth it for the increased traction and ability to launch and general confidence in having max grip, i'm also pretty sure at 28 its not low enough to cause it to concave as 32 is incredibly high and makes it convex instead leading to increased centre wear with reduced shoulder wear.

Having said all of that tyres only last me a couple of thousand miles away before they're replaced.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Having said all of that tyres only last me a couple of thousand miles away before they're replaced.
To be fair to most everyday users tyres lasting 2k miles is not representative of how most of us use our cars !

PS4S are pretty hard wearing all things considered. You should try the P Zero Corsa's I had on my Evora (treadwear rating 60 !) - Now they were made of cheese. You might be able to make them last for a week?

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
To be fair to most everyday users tyres lasting 2k miles is not representative of how most of us use our cars !

PS4S are pretty hard wearing all things considered. You should try the P Zero Corsa's I had on my Evora (treadwear rating 60 !) - Now they were made of cheese. You might be able to make them last for a week?
indeed i prefer mpss over ps4s tbh slightly more predictable for me again personal preference.

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Ive just knocked 3 pounds out of them, compressor said 29 my display reads 30. Will see how they are when cold tomorrow.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
on Dave's advice (Hinch) I dropped mine to 30 (cold) - it is so much easier to let air out than to pump it back in !! :giggle:)

It is much better - a little too "wandery" still - so after tomorrows long motorway journey I might drop the pressure a little more

Sponsored

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
on Dave's advice (Hinch) I dropped mine to 30 (cold) - it is so much easier to let air out than to pump it back in !! :giggle:)

It is much better - a little too "wandery" still - so after tomorrows long motorway journey I might drop the pressure a little more

Be careful not to run at too low pressure. An under inflated tyre will build up temp more than usual. You run the risk of a blowout when heat buildup expands. Are you sure that your wandering isn't caused by too soft tyre pressure. That extra flex from the sidewall will give vague steering and handling. To give the car a crisper more precise feel you may have to increase pressure. It'll give a harder ride but should be a lot more predictable.

When we did the drag racing at SantaPod we were advised to drop rear pressure no lower that 25psi. At that pressure, it was obviously noticeable how soft the tyres looked. I'd think twice before dropping below 30psi on the street, certainly not on long runs.

If you're worried about how much pressure increases from say 34 cold to perhaps 38 hot. Why not look into having them nitrogen filled. Tyre temp will increase but tyre pressure will remain constant.

Daft question... Are the tyres fitted correct way round. Inner to inside, outer to outside. They are directional.

I know that they were not new when fitted. Could it be that they are not evenly worn. If they were fitted to a lowered car it may have caused the tread to wear unevenly. You are running at stock ride height, which may mean your car is putting all its weight onto the edges as opposed to a true full tread.

Perhaps visually check the tyres for your own peace of mind.

As said before, the MP4s have a good reputation. Not read anyone else's poor handling.

If you want to borrow a set of standard wheels with Pirelli tyres to do a comparison to eliminate any problems you're more than welcome to try mine.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Had mine on for ages and car is lowered with spacers it does not wander sometimes if im in lane 1 on a motorway it has a wander it the lorry impressions in the road if they deep but that's it

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Brad - what pressures on yours?

These tyres were inspected by Spider (Richard), Me and a qualified tyre fitter (also does tyres for racing cars) before fitting - wear was hardly noticeable abut even, fitted the right way around too :giggle:

Im off an a bit of a journey today - so lets see how things are when I get back - but they are now at 30 cold which isnt really low by any standard - IMHO

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow

These tyres were inspected by Spider (Richard), Me and a qualified tyre fitter (also does tyres for racing cars) before fitting - wear was hardly noticeable abut even, fitted the right way around too :giggle:

Im off an a bit of a journey today - so lets see how things are when I get back - but they are now at 30 cold which isnt really low by any standard - IMHO
I run mine at between 30 and 32 depending on ambient temp

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Daft question... Are the tyres fitted correct way round. Inner to inside, outer to outside. They are directional.

I know that they were not new when fitted. Could it be that they are not evenly worn. If they were fitted to a lowered car it may have caused the tread to wear unevenly. You are running at stock ride height, which may mean your car is putting all its weight onto the edges as opposed to a true full tread.

Perhaps visually check the tyres for your own peace of mind.

As said before, the MP4s have a good reputation. Not read anyone else's poor handling.
They're off my MY17 Chris. Only done a few thousand on them and took them off to trade it in. They were night and day different to the Pirellis that went back on. No lowering springs, no cuts, 6mm tread on the back (7.5 new) and like new on the front.

Sponsored

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt

They're a summer tyre Bob same as the PZero. Same tyre as they fit on a new mustang now. But performance of MP4S in winter I'd say is probably on a par with PZeros on a summer day (and far better than PZero winter performance)

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
No
They're off my MY17 Chris. Only done a few thousand on them and took them off to trade it in. They were night and day different to the Pirellis that went back on. No lowering springs, no cuts, 6mm tread on the back (7.5 new) and like new on the front.
Not disputing the condition of your ex tyres Richard. I'm sure they were good ones. Sometimes the most obvious reasons can be missed. It does not explain why Bob is now suffering 'wandering' , perhaps they just feel different to the Pirelli's.
Between you and me pal, we will blame it on his senile demntia, the daft old bugger :giggle: Soz Bob :cwl:

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No

Between you and me pal, we will blame it on his senile demntia, the daft old bugger :giggle: Soz Bob :cwl:
Brilliant! - I actually laughed out loud when I read that Chris! -:crazy: and you are probably right! (less of the "old" though!):giggle:

Funnily enough - having driven for 200+ miles yesterday - I was starting to consider whether it was psychological rather than actual!

but they performed well yesterday!

I guess its just me!

I will get tracking etc checked when its in for a service tomorrow though!

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Brilliant! - I actually laughed out loud when I read that Chris! -:crazy: and you are probably right! (less of the "old" though!):giggle:

Funnily enough - having driven for 200+ miles yesterday - I was starting to consider whether it was psychological rather than actual!

but they performed well yesterday!

I guess its just me!

I will get tracking etc checked when its in for a service tomorrow though!

They are a little more direct I thought when I had mine changed responded to less steering input than the Pzeros maybe you where feeling that
Sponsored