Ngetzem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
In the market
Hi all,

Tried looking for an answer here and came up short. My car came with a linked HP tuners mpvi2. And also have 4 credits to spare. After calling around everyone says that you have to get the new rtd+ device plus the cost of a fi tune puts it at $1,2xx-$1,3xx and wondering if there was a way to basically order a tune for a nguage or rtd and use the device. At the very least I'm wondering if it's possible to at least still use the mpvi device for datalogging as it will allow me to monitor the parameters that i like to see. Or does the rtd device encrypt the tune to make it u readable by anything else
Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I thought the mpvi2 is a step up from the RTD feature and capability wise? Like it can load tunes but also log data. Subbed for the answer.

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
From my understanding, the RTD is just for datalogging and uploading a single tune to a single car. The MPVI2 can be used for writing multiple tunes on multiple vehicles with enough credits. You will still have to pay a tuner to make a tune and do revisions for your car. Tuners may want to only use the RTD for security reasons but they can also lock the tunes to a specific vehicle so I am not sure why they wouldn't be able to work with your MPVI2.

The RTD isn't even an option for my dad's caddy. He ha the MPVI2 and his tuner does remote tuning over email through datalogs.

OP
OP

Ngetzem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
In the market
From my understanding, the RTD is just for datalogging and uploading a single tune to a single car. The MPVI2 can be used for writing multiple tunes on multiple vehicles with enough credits. You will still have to pay a tuner to make a tune and do revisions for your car. Tuners may want to only use the RTD for security reasons but they can also lock the tunes to a specific vehicle so I am not sure why they wouldn't be able to work with your MPVI2.

The RTD isn't even an option for my dad's caddy. He ha the MPVI2 and his tuner does remote tuning over email through datalogs.
Right the mpvi2 is more advanced feature wise but none of the big 3 or 4 tuners: Lund, pbd,wengard That I know of send tunes for it because you read the tune (and therefore steal it I guess?)

They are all using the rtd with the tune delivery network that shows up on your phone.

Momogt26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
they can lock the tunes in the mpvi2 but I think they don't want to. which sucks for us that have the MPVI2 it forces us to buy the RTD. I had unleashed tuning write a tune for me using the MPVI2 and they lock the file. I couldn't make any changes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ngetzem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
In the market
they can lock the tunes in the mpvi2 but I think they don't want to. which sucks for us that have the MPVI2 it forces us to buy the RTD. I had unleashed tuning write a tune for me using the MPVI2 and they lock the file. I couldn't make any changes.
That's who the original owner got the car tuned from. May have to see if he can write me an update or something

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Hi all,

Tried looking for an answer here and came up short. My car came with a linked HP tuners mpvi2. And also have 4 credits to spare. After calling around everyone says that you have to get the new rtd+ device plus the cost of a fi tune puts it at $1,2xx-$1,3xx and wondering if there was a way to basically order a tune for a nguage or rtd and use the device. At the very least I'm wondering if it's possible to at least still use the mpvi device for datalogging as it will allow me to monitor the parameters that i like to see. Or does the rtd device encrypt the tune to make it u readable by anything else
I can help you tune your car with the mpvi2

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
MPVI2 is for tuning your car by yourself. The aftermarket tuners use the RTD so that they can lock their tunes.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1

Wengerd Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wengerdperformance.com
First Name
Derel
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Whipple 15 Mustang GT TT 18 F150 VMP ODIN
The RTD can be used on multiple cars. It can do everything the MPVI2 can besides actually editing the tune itself.

It's what customers should be purchasing that aren't tuning their own cars. The RTD allows you to choose many more tuners vs the MPVI2.

Most big Tuners don't support the MPVI2 because the tunes are not secure.

However we can make the tune that's restricted to your device and not viewable but as soon as you read it back out it's unlocked and open.

That's why Tuners don't support the MPVI2

Sponsored

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
The RTD can be used on multiple cars. It can do everything the MPVI2 can besides actually editing the tune itself.

It's what customers should be purchasing that aren't tuning their own cars. The RTD allows you to choose many more tuners vs the MPVI2.

Most big Tuners don't support the MPVI2 because the tunes are not secure.

However we can make the tune that's restricted to your device and not viewable but as soon as you read it back out it's unlocked and open.

That's why Tuners don't support the MPVI2
What do you mean by read it back out? This is where I am completely lost. With Cobb Accessport, tuners will lock the tune to your ECU so no one else can use it. I can at any point load a different tune to my car without issue.

I thought this was the exact same thing with the MPVI2 whereas the previous HPTuners would literally lock your ECU/PCM to the point where only your tuner could unlock it again, then allowing you to flash a different tune on the car or even return to the stock tune. Effectively taking ownership of your PCM.

Are you saying that you cannot even lock a tune to only work with a specific ECU if using the MPVI2 and that is why they require the RTD? Or are you saying you can look at the tables in the tune using the MPVI2 so theoretically another person could copy the tune into a new file? I am very curious about this because I want to understand why the RTD exists. The MPVI2 was the only option supported by the tuner for my dad's caddy.

With the Cobb AP, there is a separate software used for tuning and it is not cheap and requires training from Cobb to be able to buy it (iirc) so 99% of people do not have access to tune their own vehicles... effectively making the Accessport the same as the RTD.

Wengerd Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wengerdperformance.com
First Name
Derel
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Whipple 15 Mustang GT TT 18 F150 VMP ODIN
You can load tunes at any time . Our tunes are unly restricted from being viewed.

You can still load new tunes ect

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Hi all,

Do you have an MPVI2 or MPVI2+?

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
I've yet to find reputable people that tune on MPVI2. Over on HPT forums you'll find a couple people that do unlocked tunes, but I haven't heard good things about many of them.
Sponsored