Trunk Release Buttons Electrical?

sandman0023

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Magma Red 2018 F150 5.0L, Deep Impact Blue 2016 Mustang GT
My 16GT has been sitting in the garage since early December. Today I went inside it and the lights didn’t come on. I hooked the battery up to a charger today but haven’t had any luck. I’m not surprised because it’s been -0 for about a week. My question is, are the trunk release buttons (inside and outsid of the car) electrical? I figured one of them would be connected to a cable in case something like this happened.
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
All electrical sadly. We will see the demise of the hand brake soon. In fact, I'm surprised Ford has not gone to an E brake.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
My 16GT has been sitting in the garage since early December. Today I went inside it and the lights didn’t come on. I hooked the battery up to a charger today but haven’t had any luck. I’m not surprised because it’s been -0 for about a week. My question is, are the trunk release buttons (inside and outsid of the car) electrical? I figured one of them would be connected to a cable in case something like this happened.
It's because you're so close to Joliet ..................... :crazy: :crackup:

teetoppz28

Walking on the dark side
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 400a PP1
All electrical sadly. We will see the demise of the hand brake soon. In fact, I'm surprised Ford has not gone to an E brake.
We had a Ford Fusion rental last year. It had the electronic parking brake. Accidentally set it and took a google search to figure out how to unset it! LOL!

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Gas on it ! That releases the e brake.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Gas on it ! That releases the e brake.
Except it doesn't always work. In some vehicles it doesn't work at all, while in others it works four times out of five. My Mondeo was in the former category initially, then after a software update it moved to the latter.
Curiously, this doesn't seem to be exclusive to Ford. The Mercedes van I rented two years ago had an electric parking brake, and it also didn't always work properly.
I hate the electric parking brake with a passion. Unlike other nuisances, which you get used to and become bearable after a while, this one annoyed the hell out of me even after three years of ownership. I'd like to meet the imbecile who invented this crap and beat him to death.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Except it doesn't always work. In some vehicles it doesn't work at all, while in others it works four times out of five. My Mondeo was in the former category initially, then after a software update it moved to the latter.
Curiously, this doesn't seem to be exclusive to Ford. The Mercedes van I rented two years ago had an electric parking brake, and it also didn't always work properly.
I hate the electric parking brake with a passion. Unlike other nuisances, which you get used to and become bearable after a while, this one annoyed the hell out of me even after three years of ownership. I'd like to meet the imbecile who invented this crap and beat him to death.
Is the setting selectable, or nanny controlled ?

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, that was simply the way it was supposed to work. There were no other settings.
Well good to know, if I ever have car with that. Would sure as heck disable it.

Think pads sticking to rotors. I don't wash a car after driving it. Still had that one happen once, assumed it was do to humidity.

Work around not used.

Thanks for the heads up

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Well good to know, if I ever have car with that. Would sure as heck disable it.

Think pads sticking to rotors. I don't wash a car after driving it. Still had that one happen once, assumed it was do to humidity.

Work around not used.

Thanks for the heads up
Sadly, you can't. It is controlled by the PCM.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sadly, you can't. It is controlled by the PCM.
So is Active Exhaust got around that. The car (PCM) actually got use to it not being there. Wrote it off, no more inactive EX complaining .

This stuff is not as bullet proof as some would like to think.
Tin hats can be defeated . smiling

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My question is, are the trunk release buttons (inside and outsid of the car) electrical?
Yep. Both electrical. However, there's a mechanical release lever inside the trunk (with a fluorescent handle), which you could access by dropping down one (or both) rear seatbacks, and get in there. Hope this helps.
Sponsored