Sponsored

Tremec Magnum XL or built MT82?

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Hi there mustang fans in the good ol USA!!

I am asking this question across the pond from the UK as I know you guys will have more input based on experience on what I'm asking..

I have two otions open to me for transmissions.. 2017 GT MT82

I can build my MT82 with uprated parts and fit my brand new MGW race spec shifter, or.. buy a Magnum XL and sell my MGW? The cost is roughly treble for the XL when you work it all out with me doing all the work myself.

What would YOU do based on experience from friends and associates?

Thanks for all your input guys..
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Are you boosted? If not I would stay with the MT82. I blew up two of them and at the time Ben had not came out with the billet gear set for the 82 yet. I went with a TR 6060. I did a rear swap to 4.09's because of the different gearing between the Mt82 and TR6060. If you dont have at least 3.73's you are looking at a rear gear swap if you go with the magnum...to be happy anyway.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
If you like the idea of staying oem trans and it's planed upgrades I'd say that is the logical path and go back together tidy.
Opening up more guess work can lead to who knows what.
KISS
Keep it simple unless you are boy racer from across the pond and needs to blaze a path of your own.
Either is acceptable and respected

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your replies guys. All the UK S550's 15-17 have 3.55 differential gears, so I guess I would need to get the 2.97 Tremec if I went that route. my car will be boosted, not quite sure how yet, but it will be.
I have asked this question based on strength and reliability more than anything. I will get the transmission/clutch sorted before I boost power so i'll have a stronger driveline and better clutch first. I'm far from being a boy racer BTW.. I'm 55 yrs old!!

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I got you by two...youngster. Not sure you will be happy with 3.55s. I have the 2,97 first.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Nigel
if you go with the tremec option I will take the mgw shifter off your hands .
Nick

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I was debating the same trans swap but now that Ben came out with new gear sets I will be sticking with M82.

Calvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
I was in the same dilemma a week ago when my forth went out on my MT82. I ultimately decided on the Magnum XL since to me I didnt really want to spend 3k to polish a turd (MT82 Gforce gears.) My options were really Ben's Tr6060 or the XL but quick availability wise, I choose the XL. If the costs for the gforce gear, labor, and shipping were slightly cheaper, I wouldve loved to stay OEM but I always had the Magnum/TR6060 in mind from before I even purchased this car. I do feel alot better knowing the MT82 is gone.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was in the same dilemma a week ago when my forth went out on my MT82. I ultimately decided on the Magnum XL since to me I didnt really want to spend 3k to polish a turd (MT82 Gforce gears.) My options were really Ben's Tr6060 or the XL but quick availability wise, I choose the XL. If the costs for the gforce gear, labor, and shipping were slightly cheaper, I wouldve loved to stay OEM but I always had the Magnum/TR6060 in mind from before I even purchased this car. I do feel alot better knowing the MT82 is gone.
what rear gear you running and how do you like it?

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it better all round? Does it shift sweeter? Whay clutch driveshaft combo are you running? And, as already asked, what gearing did you choose with what rear gears?

Sponsored

Calvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
I am still waiting for some of the pieces to arrive. Sorry wasn't clear since I only mentioned in first comment that I was in dilema a week ago. In terms of components, I am going to be running:

-3.73 stock gearing (may go 4.09 later on) but the slightly taller gear should be better for my case running track.) Chose Tremec 2.97.
-Spec Super Twin clutch (since I already have the 26 spline clutch disks.)
-Dakota Digital SGI-5e (cheap and in case I ever have to return to stock and stock tune, the DD converter shouldn't need tune adjustment if set correctly.)
-RDE Mechanical Lockout (kind of overpriced but from what I have seen the Tremec Reverse lockout solenoid may require some massaging for clearance reasons, I also don't want to put faith in an aftermarket unit controlling the solenoid activation since it can fail and leave me with a PiTa to engage reverse.)
-MGW shifter (Just to save me time swapping shifters later down the road)
-DSS swap specific driveshaft (Was available at time of order)

Never tried a Magnum but have a regular T56, its a more direct shift, but I never really had problems with my MT82 with my Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. MT-82 is a decently great shifting trans imo.

I will answer any questions once I have it in and some miles through it. I am curious myself on the RDE lockout.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will love it...everything and i mean everything is same setup as I'm running.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Tremec Magnum XL for me. Much stronger if you saw the cutaway version you can see it. No amount of "special" can do what the XL does. The shifter is even better than retro fits. The drive shaft slip joint is a far superior and less likely to cause balance issues than the those for the MT82.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Nigel
if you go with the tremec option I will take the mgw shifter off your hands .
Nick
Hi Nick,

The Tremec XL is drawing ever closer so the chances of me selling the MGW are also growing. I think it’s worth £500 brand new in the box, would you agree? It is a race spec shifter with coyote red shift lever and white MGW shift knob.

Let me know what you think?
Sponsored