Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
So, I had my tuner add Transbrake to my tune. However I couldn’t make it to work. I thought that maybe this was my fault, as I ‘ve never used such a feature before on my Mustang or any other car that I owned in the past, so I have no experience with it. I might have been a bit hesitant while stepping on the gas pedal, knowing that this whole process can be a bit abusive to the engine and the transmission.

This is how I used it. I put the shifter on D, I braked the car with my left foot and then I went wot. At that stage the rear wheels started spinning and the rpm started rising well above 3100 rpm (this is the default set by my tuner). As I said above, I stepped on the throttle gradually and with hesitation rather than instantly.

I contacted COBB about that and they told me that the following crieteria have to be met for transbrake to work:

- Engine Coolant Temperature – at least 150 degrees F (65.6 degrees C)
- Transmission Temperature – at least 120 degrees F (48.9 degrees C)
- Maximum Time Allotted For Feature Use – 10 seconds maximum at WOT
- Cooldown Time Between Feature Use – 3 seconds

They also told me that transbrake can be used in any drive mode, however, they strongly recommend disabling traction control or ADVTrac prior to use. Additionally, I was told that it takes a while for the transmission oil temperature to get up there and that I should check trans oil temp preferably via my Accessport gauge. Finally, if the above criteria are met, it seems that I have to step on the gas pedal pretty quickly for transbrake to activate.

Another question I have is if the Accessport has to be connected on the car for transbrake to work.

I think it would be interesting to open a discussion on transbrake and how it can be used, as any input would be useful for those interested in using it with an OTS or a custom tune.
Sponsored

Janstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2001 Turbocharged Mustang Cobra, 2018 EB
On my drag car, it's sole purpose is to hold the car(1st and reverse pushing against each other), while I bring the revs/boost up at the starting line at the drag strip. When I release the button the solenoid releases and we launch. Not sure what your intentions are, but this is a transbrakes primary purpose.

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Mine is not a drag car, I am not a drag racer. My car is tuned and I have also added the transmission tune by Adam. I thought of using transbrake in order to further improve launch.

COBB transbrake is used in a different way than the one you describe - there is no button, transbrake is engaged by braking and going wot at the same time.

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I just received confirmation from COBB that the AP doesn’t have to be on the car for transbrake to work. Once everything is setup, the AP can be removed.

mrbill00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 eco
You must press the gas pedal quickly while holding the brake, it will rev to the preset RPM you entered. You are responsible for checking the temps etc as the unit itself doesn'tcare.
Check to see what tune is installed in the car currently.
Transbrake function will only work with Cobb listed tunes. It won't give you the option
if your using a custom tune.The Cobb folks are aware of this and thinking about a fix.
If you have updated your Cobb recently it may have used a OTS tune if you didn't tell it any different.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=29173]mrbill00[/MENTION] for the first part you are right. Thanks for the info. It seems that I have to step on the gas pedal pretty quickly for transbrake to activate. It is also important that transmission and oil temperatures reach a certain level.

However, transbrake is now available for custom tunes as well. See the following thread (post #8). Actually Adam activated it for my tune a few days ago.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2213913#post2213913

mrbill00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 eco
Thxs for that tidbit, I will check with my tuner about adding.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
Check with your tuner.. lol

As soon as I bought my 18, I bought the HP Tuners software.
In order to get the transbrake to activate, the trans temp parameters have to be met and then.......
left foot on brake, right foot on gas. Depress both the negative (downshift) and + (upshift) paddleshifters at the same time. While still holding them in, smack the throttle (you have to get it to at least 35% or it won't engage. At this point, keep holding the + paddle and release the - (downshift) paddle.
The car should stay completely still... If you want to "bump" the car in, tap the - (downshift) while the + paddle is still being pushed and it will move forward slightly.
When you want to go, let go of the + paddle and be careful.... It hits like a ton of bricks., I have a 7 second turbo sb 1990 and the 18 is way more violent

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
As I said, I am tuned by Adam and I used the Accessport to flash the tune. I think that, at least when the tune is flashed through the Accessport, there is no need to use the paddleshifters at all.

PICANTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost pp
As I said, I am tuned by Adam and I used the Accessport to flash the tune. I think that, at least when the tune is flashed through the Accessport, there is no need to use the paddleshifters at all.
You don’t need to use the paddle shifters. If the transbrake is set on, hold the brake down, and then quickly depress the gas pedal all the way down. This will activate it and hold at 3100 rpm. I’m also tuned by Adam and have used the transbrake feature many times

Sponsored

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t need to use the paddle shifters. If the transbrake is set on, hold the brake down, and then quickly depress the gas pedal all the way down. This will activate it and hold at 3100 rpm. I’m also tuned by Adam and have used the transbrake feature many times
What releases the transbrake? A transbrake doesn't hold rpm, its only rpm limitation is whatever the converter can stall. If the converter will go to 5000, so will the transbrake, unless a 2 step limits it. If you have to leave your foot on the brake pedal in order to keep the car from moving that is a foot brake not a transbrake. I understand how he is setting it up, but if you want quicker r/t and more consistent, he really should change the configuration to a finger.
Do you know if he somehow disables the braking and the brake pedal becomes a window switch and powers off while the tb is activated and then goes power on once the tb is released?? Still scary to interrupt the brakes like that

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BUT, he may be on to something for people like me that hate their automatic and miss having a clutch pedal or those that put an auto in an original 5 sp car. Use the starter interrupt input for the line lock. Stage the car, put the clutch pedal to the floor and dump the clutch to leave.

Id put my clutch pedal back in so my right leg had something to do. Hahaha

I am still curious if it dumps all the fluid and releases the brakes prior to staging or are you leaving the line with the brakes releasing

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I want to apologize to you and Makstang. My apparent inability of reading a tech update from HP Tuners in its entirety, led me on a path to a cliff where I fell off the ledge into a ravine of ignorance.
I skipped right over the portion of the cruise control activation where you have to keep your foot on the brake pedal.
Once again, my deepest apologies for being the guy even I hate.

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)