Trans brake

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I have never tried that but I would assume that it would unload when you activate the transbrake because you are taking your foot off the brake. This would not work for a turbo car that you bump in on either. I could just be lucky but I have beat on my twin turbo 2015 pretty hard with no driveline failures. The main thing to watch out for is staying on the transbrake too long and building up too much heat in the trans.
Sponsored

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
Agreed about the heat.
Bumping does exactly what I said, it loads the drivetrain. That load is what helps to build boost. The jerking motion is what the tires and suspension are doing. Try it on a stiff suspension, stiff sidewall tire and see FAR less jerking when bumping.

Why would you think it would unload?
If it is loaded and you engage the brake, does your car move? No
Can someone push your car when the trans brake is on and the car is running? No

It is called a trans BRAKE for a reason. Trans brakes lock the trans by normally applying load to both the forward and reverse gears at the same time, effectively locking the drivetrain solid.
When the button is released, all that pent up anger is immediately released with it.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
How would you load the driveline with the HP Tuners software transbrake? You have to blip the throttle and release it to activate it. No way to load up and hold it.

i can see how a push button transbrake would work though.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
No clue on the applications you are discussing. These new electronic trans brakes may work differently than the traditional solenoid system used for years on older generation transmissions.

I would suggest contacting them.

If they are essentially doing a neutral drop (as a previous posted stated it feels like) and not a trans brake, I would not even think about using them.

A high horsepower car dumping a trans brake on an unloaded drivetrain is not a great idea.
I know on my drag cars, the transmission guy would always warn customers. Also had a driveshaft guy tell me that was the cause of twisted input shafts and he wouldn't honor his warrantee on "unbreakable" driveshafts I bought.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No clue on the applications you are discussing. These new electronic trans brakes may work differently than the traditional solenoid system used for years on older generation transmissions.

I would suggest contacting them.

If they are essentially doing a neutral drop (as a previous posted stated it feels like) and not a trans brake, I would not even think about using them.

A high horsepower car dumping a trans brake on an unloaded drivetrain is not a great idea.
I know on my drag cars, the transmission guy would always warn customers. Also had a driveshaft guy tell me that was the cause of twisted input shafts and he wouldn't honor his warrantee on "unbreakable" driveshafts I bought.
Yeah, the software based transbrake you activate by putting foot on brake, pulling both shifter paddles, and then blip the throttle. Then you can let off the left paddle and brake and then give whatever throttle amount you want and use the left paddle to bump in.

It feels like a neutral drop and I destroyed an aftermarket heavy duty half shaft, won’t say what company, but they fortunately honored their warranty for it.

I retired from transbrake launches after that.

Sponsored

Cold Zero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mahdi
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Yeah, the software based transbrake you activate by putting foot on brake, pulling both shifter paddles, and then blip the throttle. Then you can let off the left paddle and brake and then give whatever throttle amount you want and use the left paddle to bump in.

It feels like a neutral drop and I destroyed an aftermarket heavy duty half shaft, won’t say what company, but they fortunately honored their warranty for it.

I retired from transbrake launches after that.
Same thing happened to my friend last week. software transbrake on 10R80 CJ cams car and guess what? half shaft destroyed

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing happened to my friend last week. software transbrake on 10R80 CJ cams car and guess what? half shaft destroyed
That sucks. Did they tell your friend that it was Wheel Hop was the cause too? Lol. My car was CJ/FBO when it happened to me last year and I have my entire front and rear suspension upgraded and I have no wheel hop. It was a classic dead hook and instantaneous snap. I have done the same snap on a 97 Cobra over 20 years ago that was obviously live axle. Same exact feeling.

TRM99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, '19 Lincoln MKC,'16 F150, 65 Malibu SS
Suncoast has recalled their 10R80/6R80 launch controller due to issues. No timeline as to when/if they will be available again. Biggest disappointment for me is that neither Suncoast nor the retailer I bought it from contacted me about this recall in spite of reported issues to both via phone calls/email since early January. If you bought one call Suncoast to have them issue a return label as well as contact your retailer for a refund.

Well, so far I'm still waiting for Suncoast to come up with a solution to make it work on the 6R80. With everything hooked up according to the provided instructions the TPS won't send a signal to the throttle body to allow anything but idling in normal driving mode. The launch controller works exactly as it's supposed to when activated according to instructions - it's just that you can't give the car any gas when driving anywhere.
Suncoast did try a workaround that they thought would solve the issue but it did not work on my car. They are supposedly working on a next gen controller that will work on my 6R80 but haven't heard anything from them since 20 January so perhaps I'll give them a call today to see what, if any, progress has been made.
To be fair, this issue seems to only affect the 6R80, not the 10R80 so perhaps someone that bought one for their '18 & up can chime in about their experience.
Sponsored