Sponsored

Trading in Car with E85 - Leave Tune?

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
Hey there,

So I'm trading in my '18 Mustang GT on a E85R tune from Lund. I'm wondering if I should leave the tune as is, as I still have half my tank filled with E85 and can't dump it. Or switch over to a flex fuel tune for the dealer's sake if they are to fill it with 91 and sell it like that? Or will they discover it on their own that it's tuned and will reflash it themselves?
This is my first time trading in a tuned car so I just want to make sure I do it right.

Appreciate any feedback and help, thanks!
Sponsored

16COEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
you should run all the E85 out of it, put a little bit of 91 in it, then load the stock tune and unmarry the device. If the dealer puts fuel in it, they will most likely use 87.

They probably wont know its tuned unless you tell them, which means the next owner wont know either. If you're dead set on trading in the car with the tune on it, then leave the device and instructions in writing with the car for the next owner. So many threads here and posts on FB of people buying tuned cars from dealerships, that didnt know they were already tuned, and running into a mess of issues with the computer when they try to get a new tune.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Being a California resident you probably could be legally responsible for non disclosure and sued for damages from the damages or cost. Maybe not.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would bring it back to stock if you can because most of the next buyers will use unleaded gasoline. If thatā€™s not an option, leave a note and the device like mentioned above.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I would bring it back to stock if you can because most of the next buyers will use unleaded gasoline. If thatā€™s not an option, leave a note and the device like mentioned above.
If the dealer finds the note (and thereā€™s a good chance they will) they will likely either just throw it away or backflag the trading party to put it back stock at the very least. Depending on their level of tight-azzedness they could even claim they unknowingly accepted a trade in which had undisclosed intentional EPA violations.

Everybody wants a tune, but they want to do it themselve. Nobody wants a car that someone else has jacked around with first.

I think Iā€™d either put it back bone stock if it could be done undetected, or tell the dealer what was going on and let them make the call. Theyā€™re legally obligated to make sure any car they resell meets EPA standards.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Get your Carvana or Vroom offer before trading it, you may be leaving money on the table with a dealership trade in...

As for the fuel/tune issue - put it back to stock. If you can't put it back to stock, inform the Dealership of the tune/fuel concern. Not sure if they can come after you for damages after the fact if you knew the car had a tune and you didn't reveal it (you have to read all that fine print in what you're signing).
Sponsored