Sponsored

Track Prep & Recommendations Thread

Rainier42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
No and this is a big problem, especially as often as I tend to break things. At this point we are totally out of luck. I think my fail-safe is going to be the strut tower brace. At least they moved it onto its own bolts and aren't tied into the strut mount so you won't screw up your camber. They're also using much larger bolts than on the S197s so it should be strong enough for a track side breakdown. Pulling you out of the gravel pit might be a different story. I really hope someone develops a solution soon. We're exploring the European bumper with screw in tow hook.

I haven't seen braided lines available as of yet. A friend of mine went through a set of front pads per day at VIR and was getting some pad fade, but didn't boil the fluid. Stock pads and fluid. I was getting pad fade toward the end of sessions at Track Attack and they weren't long sessions.

I think the stock pads and fluid will be more than enough for novice to intermediate drivers though. Just look at how frickin' big the equipment is compared to what we had on the S197s. That alone should help dissipate a lot of heat and energy.

The other question is how good is the factory ducting? We don't have the benefit of hoses which we know work great.
Not sure how Ford could have missed the tow hook for a track-oriented car. All BMWs come with them standard. :frusty:
Sponsored

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have seen this done with success, even better if you plan for it.
Cinch a strap around seat belt at very top were it bolts to car.
Make sure its tight with a loop, hook tow rope to it, and you can pull a car out
of the grass or sand trap. If your in any further, likely won't matter
as you will have damage anyway, you can hook to chassis then.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I have seen this done with success, even better if you plan for it.
Cinch a strap around seat belt at very top were it bolts to car.
Make sure its tight with a loop, hook tow rope to it, and you can pull a car out
of the grass or sand trap. If your in any further, likely won't matter
as you will have damage anyway, you can hook to chassis then.
In that case, I could just hook it to my roll bar then.......we need to get this tow hook situation figured out. Watson has a tubular rear bumper with hook that fits the S550 and therefore the GT350, but I'm more worried about the front. To your point, if you need the rear hook, there's a good chance you've hit something.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
They also said the Boss wouldn't overheat on the track :p
I am no pro driver, I have not hit any fade whatsoever. I really do believe that those experiencing fade or excessive pedal travel are using way too much brake. I see it all the time at the track. Drivers use to much brake and come back with complaints of fade. If you are using the brake frequently and not carrying enough speed on the track, the brakes will start to overheat. You need speed to create the cooling effect for the cooling ducts and rotor fins.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I am no pro driver, I have not hit any fade whatsoever. I really do believe that those experiencing fade or excessive pedal travel are using way too much brake. I see it all the time at the track. Drivers use to much brake and come back with complaints of fade. If you are using the brake frequently and not carrying enough speed on the track, the brakes will start to overheat. You need speed to create the cooling effect for the cooling ducts and rotor fins.
I was referring to excessive CHT and oil temps, not the brakes. My only point is there is a range where the OEM equipment will work, but when pushed to competitive levels, upgrades will be required. Ford said they were lapping the Bosses without overheating them, but many of us were overheating them the first time out. The solution was more airflow through a different or completely removed grille. My buddies and I already have enough experience with the OEM pads on the GT350 to know we need a race pad for the way we will be using them. Ford has to use a dual purpose pad on the street GT350 since the majority will be street driven more than track driven. That said they are a compromise pad and not up to heavy track use.

Sponsored

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
I knew the car needed better pads even before running them at Utah Motorsports Park last week. I have some G-LOC pads coming this week for an event at BIR in three weeks. They're equivalent to the Carbotech XP24 fronts and XP12 rears.

What do you mean it needs better fluid? Did you boil it? I'm planning to bleed with ATE as I go, but not necessarily planning to flush although I could. I bleed them before every event and I've never boiled ATE despite people that say they don't like it. I've almost always run Hawk DTC70 pads too so they get hotter than hell. The were using SRF in the Track Attack cars.
I just got back from GT350 Track Attack at Utah Motorsports Park. I'll post some pictures later.

I want to share few things:
1. GT350s at the Track Attack have aftermarket camber plates. You can run around 7 degree castor and -2.2. camber. I think this makes a very notice difference in turn in and less understeer through the high speed mid corner.
2. All the track attack GT350s have performance brake fluids. Factory one doesn't hold up at track.
3. They use stock pads. Instructor told me that they do need to replace the pads every 3 track days, but he said that it's very friendly to the rotors so they don't use race pads. So I'm going to stick with the stock pads for now since it's really cheap.

BTW, the brakes at the track attack did start to fade towards the last session. I lapped 3 cars, so I was moving at a pretty good pace. If you are not experiencing brake fades, either you are phenomenal driver which I highly doubt or most likely you're too slow.

GT350 is very easy to control at the limit. I can drive almost fast as a pro. It's so easy to save the car.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I just got back from GT350 Track Attack at Utah Motorsports Park. I'll post some pictures later.

I want to share few things:
1. GT350s at the Track Attack have aftermarket camber plates. You can run around 7 degree castor and -2.2. camber. I think this makes a very notice difference in turn in and less understeer through the high speed mid corner.
2. All the track attack GT350s have performance brake fluids. Factory one doesn't hold up at track.
3. They use stock pads. Instructor told me that they do need to replace the pads every 3 track days, but he said that it's very friendly to the rotors so they don't use race pads. So I'm going to stick with the stock pads for now since it's really cheap.

BTW, the brakes at the track attack did start to fade towards the last session. I lapped 3 cars, so I was moving at a pretty good pace. If you are not experiencing brake fades, either you are phenomenal driver which I highly doubt or most likely you're too slow.

GT350 is very easy to control at the limit. I can drive almost fast as a pro. It's so easy to save the car.
Yes they were fading, thus better pads.... They had the Maximum Motorsorts camber plates in the Boss race cars we drove and I assume the zame in the GT350s although I didn't look under the hood. I have the same camber and caster as the TA cars plus -1.25* in the rear. I will likely swap fluid before BIR just to be safe.

If you are that fast you'll want better pads. My buddy's AIM data showed he was braking later in the GT350 on stock pads than the Boss on Carbotechs. The stock pads lasted one day with two hours of track time.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Do you have any supporting data behind this? If they were telling you it didn't hold up it must have been during pre-production testing because the cars we were driving we are on the track for the first time with only 50 miles on the odometer. I have had two friends track their cars with the stock fluid and haven't boiled it yet. One was at VIR and as I said went through a set of front pads each day so obviously using the brakes. The other was running on Pagid brake pads which are much more aggressive than the stock pads.

All that said, I still ordered 3 liters of srf because it's not worth the risk especially based on the prior post of boiling fluid at Chuckwalla. I just don't take chances with the brakes.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Just to point out that if the OE pad wear rate is high, because it's a compromise you have less pad as the day goes on. This in turn is less of a barrier for the heat going into a caliper. The other job the pad has is to insulate and absorb the heat from the rotor and keep it out of the caliper. If you are gaining comfort as the day goes on, driving harder into the corner while the pad is wearing you will get the heat into the caliper. The thing to check is to see if the dust boots on the pistons have evidence of heat damage. I'd like to see the lap videos with data of these cars because the braking should not be an issue unless you all run in IMSA for a living LOL. I would invest in caliper tape strips to see what temp the calipers are seeing. This would determine where the issue really is.

D.DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350 TECH 1982 Corvette
First, and foremost, with this being your first track experience, other than basic safety and operational issues, do NOT focus on the car. Focus on you! For at least the first year of consistent HPDE / Track Days, your skills and performance are the focus, not the car. That's an oversimplification, but the point is important.

You're fortunate to have one of the best out-of-the-box track-capable production cars. There are no performance or functional mods you need to do to this car. And, yes, that includes getting different alignment settings, at least at the moment.

I'll assume that your brake pad, brake fluid, tire and mechanical conditions are all solid. If not, you'll need to address those; and stick with OE for now when you do. Most event organizers are going to require a pre-event tech inspection to be performed by a competent person BEFORE the event, with a completed form to prove that you did so. That form should indicate all of the mechanical and safety issues you should focus on for the event.

You do not need harnesses, neck restraints, roll bars, etc. for intro HPDE events. Are they helpful? Absolutely. Are they recommended? Depends. But, not at this point.

Most event organizers will assign you a car number, that will need to be displayed on at least two sides of the car. Typically the numbers will need to be at least 6" high and should be a contrasting color for easy visibility. Magnetic and removable vinyl are good choices, but I'd recommend using good 'ol painters tape for your first event. Do not, I repeat, do not use shoe polish.

BRING A GOOD TIRE PRESSURE GAUGE!! You might also consider bringing a torque wrench and the appropriate socket just to check the torque throughout the day. Most organizers will check your torque in the pre-event tech inspection process.

Bring a notebook and pen to record track conditions, tire pressures, your thoughts / impressions, and any instruction tips you get in class or in-car. Smartphone apps and tablets are another option. There will be so much happening, even in a 20 minute track session, that you'll forget most of what goes on if you don't take the time to focus on those details.

I'm going to assume you will not be trying to rotate tires or swap from a street to track setup for your first event, so I won't mention bringing a jack, impact gun, etc.

Get plenty of rest!

Accept that you'll get stressed. Allow that to happen, then allow yourself to relax and have a blast!

Some of this has already been mentioned, but I'll repeat:

Bring layers of clothing, including long sleeved shirts or sweatshirts; stick with natural fibers.
Good shoes for driving; you do not NEED driving shoes at this point. Good shoes have a relatively stiff sole and will allow you to roll or rotate your foot for heel-toe. They also should have enough grip not to slip on the pedals. A good sneaker can do the job at this point.
Folding chairs. You are going to want to sit, relax and recuperate.
Broad brimmed hat and/or sunblock. Many tracks have little or no shade and it can get damn hot in the pits.
Cooler with lots of clear liquids. HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!
Cotton or micro fiber towels that you can stick in the ice of your cooler and put on the back of your neck, head . . . This can be a real life-saver.
Salt and sugar snacks.
Decent protein and carbohydrate food options.
Good plastic container(s) to hold all your stuff.
Ground cloth / tarp to put your stuff on, or to cover your stuff if it rains.
Paper towels and glass cleaner.
Bring a friend?
Be prepared to make friends.
Bring a camera to take pics of all the awesome cars!
Be prepared to discover a whole new hobby, compulsion, addiction . . .

We could have a whole discussion on tools, spares, etc. I'm going to suggest keeping things as simple and stress free as possible right now. You can certainly bring a can of fix-a-flat or other options to repair a flat tire, spare brake pads, the tools to do a swap, and so on. If that will make you comfortable and that's how you role, then have at it. Otherwise, I suggest thinking about what you will do if you have a mechanical issue and need a tow. Plan that in advance. I've used AAA before, but that can be tricky.

Consider getting HPDE Track Day insurance. Lockton Affinity offers a decent agreed-value package.

This is not an exhaustive all-inclusive list, but it should get you into your first event with everything you need. Over time you'll develop a system that works for you and you'll be on your way down the slippery slope. Pretty soon you'll be thinking about lap timers, video, data and more. That's all great and can be very helpful for advancing your skill and fun. But for now, stay focused on you as the driver.

Enjoy!
This past weekend I had my first HPDE at Summit Point West, Virginia, the Jefferson Circuit. As a novice I fully agree this is about you. It is very intense. I was exhausted after the first day. My GT350 TECH was great. It did everything I asked of it. By the second day I was the one doing the passing. Limp mode, not at my skill level. Maybe with more experience I might need to think about coolers but I doubt it. A lot of fun and compliments on the sound.

p.s. I didn't bother with track insurance

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
This past weekend I had my first HPDE at Summit Point West, Virginia, the Jefferson Circuit. As a novice I fully agree this is about you. It is very intense. I was exhausted after the first day. My GT350 TECH was great. It did everything I asked of it. By the second day I was the one doing the passing. Limp mode, not at my skill level. Maybe with more experience I might need to think about coolers but I doubt it. A lot of fun and compliments on the sound.

That is awesome if you did not hit limp mode at all! :clap2:

Fun isn't it? Any vids?

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
Do you have any supporting data behind this? If they were telling you it didn't hold up it must have been during pre-production testing because the cars we were driving we are on the track for the first time with only 50 miles on the odometer. I have had two friends track their cars with the stock fluid and haven't boiled it yet. One was at VIR and as I said went through a set of front pads each day so obviously using the brakes. The other was running on Pagid brake pads which are much more aggressive than the stock pads.

All that said, I still ordered 3 liters of srf because it's not worth the risk especially based on the prior post of boiling fluid at Chuckwalla. I just don't take chances with the brakes.
No supporting data. Just what the instructor told me. Agree with you 100%. Fluids are cheap. Not worth taking chances. Why risk damaging a $58K car for something you can do for $100.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

Congrats on your first outing. Summit is a terrific complex, and the Jefferson circuit is even better now that it's been enlarged. Just wait till you get a chance to run on the main circuit! That track has something for every car.

Which group did you run with?

BTW, we're neighbors. I'm in Wilmington.
Sponsored