Sponsored

Track Pack to R....those that have done it....

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I can guarantee you the R does not ride like shit! Firmer than a track pack yes but not by much when you look at the specs of the springs. A little harder ride sure because of the shorter side wall since you're on 30 series tires as opposed to 35
Most of that can be negated by buying a spare set of wheels with a larger sidewall
Sponsored

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
This seems like a no brainer, get the R.

Having said that, the fact that you're asking for opinions leads me to believe maybe there's more to it besides everyday livability and rougher ride. Does color play role? Do you need back seats? (Which can be added to an R.) Or are you simply not in love with the R enough to make the switch and pay the difference?

In my own personal case, when the GT350 & GT350R were first announced (not even knowing about ADMs at that time), my knee jerk reaction was the Track Pack was what I wanted. If I had started out lusting for an R, but settled for a Track Pack, I'd probably still be looking to upgrade to an R. But because the Track Pack was my initial gut instinct, upgrading to an R is a "nice to have", not a "must" for me. Still, if an R was to drop in my lap, I think it's absolutely worth the price difference at a +5K mark up.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
LOL. I do like the rarity of the prospect and the fact that I will most likely never lose money on it. Sounds like what I'm hearing is "Dumby, it's an R at minimal MSRP overage. Who cares if it rides like shit"
Seriously man, stick with that track pack, sounds like the best for living up north. Go ahead and send me the info to get this R so you wont keep thinking about it. :ninja:

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
This seems like a no brainer, get the R.

Having said that, the fact that you're asking for opinions leads me to believe maybe there's more to it besides everyday livability and rougher ride. Does color play role? Do you need back seats? (Which can be added to an R.) Or are you simply not in love with the R enough to make the switch and pay the difference?

In my own personal case, when the GT350 & GT350R were first announced (not even knowing about ADMs at that time), my knee jerk reaction was the Track Pack was what I wanted. If I had started out lusting for an R, but settled for a Track Pack, I'd probably still be looking to upgrade to an R. But because the Track Pack was my initial gut instinct, upgrading to an R is a "nice to have", not a "must" for me. Still, if an R was to drop in my lap, I think it's absolutely worth the price difference at a +5K mark up.
Actually, I like the color combo of this particular R better than black. As soon as I wash my car and it sits for a few days, it's already dusty.
The R owner has his name on the waiting list for a Demon, so there is some time before the trigger is pulled.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I personally like the wider range the GT350 offers , but from all opinions I've heard I bet the R does feel special. In the end I drive the car in normal mode + comfort steering pretty much 90% of the time, so at this point it would have to be a very very very each transition monetarily for me to switch. I think the exclusivity of it would win out overall - as they say you only live once!

Sponsored

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
You question was at what price difference does it not make sense ? For me it was about
$20K, figuring I got my 17 for $59K and at the time, October of 16, a R was about $79K.

At $20K it was not worth for me, mostly due to not planning on more than 2-3 track
weekends and having other cars to play with, including other track cars.

Each individual is different and uses and needs vary so much. As far as ride and tires on
a R, many buy a extra set of street wheels and tires, making it a lot easier as a daily.
Same as regular GT350 owners buying a set of track wheels/tires.

Now in initial post you say are looking at a used 16' R for $5K over, so $72k,
and need to sell your track pack,
so if you get say $52K, we are back to the $20K delta, only you
can decide if it is worth it. Will insurance be more for you ?
Extended warranties are way more on the R if you keep it long term, etc.
If I could of got a NEW R for $5k over when I got my regular for $200 under,
I would jumped without hesitation into R......

Long term as far as value, same miles, the R will surely retain more % of value,
how much I anyone's guess....

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I am also looking into getting a R. I could get a left over 2016 GT350 Track Package in Comp. Orange for $6.5k under MSRP(it is common to find under msrp deals in Canada). OR I can get a ruby red 2017 GT350R for 10k over MSRP. As much as I love the R, I like orange more, but I intend on tracking the car at Mosport every weekend. So I am a bit undecided. Leaning strongly torwards the CO '16 GT350. Another issue is I want to trade my car in, the dealer with the CO GT350 is 20 hours from me vs the local R.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I am also looking into getting a R. I could get a left over 2016 GT350 Track Package in Comp. Orange for $6.5k under MSRP(it is common to find under msrp deals in Canada). OR I can get a ruby red 2017 GT350R for 10k over MSRP. As much as I love the R, I like orange more, but I intend on tracking the car at Mosport every weekend. So I am a bit undecided. Leaning strongly torwards the CO '16 GT350. Another issue is I want to trade my car in, the dealer with the CO GT350 is 20 hours from me vs the local R.
If you plan for track days that often, and money is no object, get the R for sure.

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
350R
I notice that those who think the jump Is worth it live in the south where I imagine the roads are better? As for price, let's just say this would be a family discount and won't be over $5K over sticker.....
At $0-$5K over sticker, given the harsher ride on rougher roads, is it still worth the jump? Or would we contemplate a stripped Z06 or clean Gen V Viper?....I'm not brand loyal.
California actually has the most worn down roads in the country, especially after this winter's rain events. I'll tell you what, my 65 year old father who much prefers Aston Martins and SUVs at this point of his life didn't mind the ride of the R at all. His only complaint was the sound of rocks being kicked up by the sticky CUP2s and no insulation to deaden the sound of them hitting the undercarriage. Buy it, and if you don't like it, sell it and make a few bucks. Its win/win.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
The biggest selling point of the R is the wheels and tires. Take them out of the mix and their isn't much of a value proposition other than because R.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The biggest selling point of the R is the wheels and tires. Take them out of the mix and their isn't much of a value proposition other than because R.[/QUOTE

After owning 2 R models and still owning a 2015 Track Pack car there is a big difference beyond just wheels and tires.

The suspension is 25% stiffer on the front end, the ride height is lower, the R model brakes, steers and accelerates better than a regular GT350, the exhaust sound is significantly much more pronounced/agressive with no resonators, the looks of an R model is more progressive with a larger front chin spoiler and large rear carbon fiber wing and lower stance, 2 seats versus 4 seats and with substantially lower production numbers for each MY it is a no brainer at least for me based on being able to purchase an R model at a reasonable price.

Don't get me wrong my GT350 Track Pack car is a terrific automobile but the R model takes it to another level.

Within the last couple of weeks I recently drove F0077 and HR019 along with a couple of my 2012 Boss cars (along with my 1969 1/2 SC/Rambler) and the R model was significantly more satisfying to drive than my Track Pack car and interestingly enough I enjoyed driving my Boss 302 cars just as much as driving the R model.

Each to their own and good luck with your decision!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kurac

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Decided I'm going to pay off my car next month and keep it. Then save for something else to add to the stable.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Smart move, nothing better than no note. Can always get a dedicated track car
for that $20K saved if so inclined. Or boat, or bike....or...?
Sponsored