Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
Gentlemen,

I'm looking for a little advice on road course pads. I'm still in the novice run group and the OEM PP pads have performed flawlessly. I will be coming up on my 3rd event at COTA (1 at MSR Houston, and 1 at COTA) with another follow up event in Sept at MSR Houston. My question is so far the OEM Pads have performed wonderfully. I do switch pads out when not on the track for street driving (mainly for the dusting issues) and this isn't my DD.

That being said, is there a more track oriented pad that doesn't leave it's residue embedded on the wheels? I've read a few threads here that have found the dusting of track pads to embed and not come off. At some point I do plan on getting another set of wheels for track day use, but I'm not there yet and would like to no have to deal with scrubbing like mad after every track event for clean up. To be perfectly candid, I have not gotten any fade yet with the OEM Pads (touching 140 on the back straight so I believe def pushing a decent amount), so maybe they are the good option for now, but was wanting a little feedback that way may not have to re-buy as skills progress farther.

Thanks for any guidance!
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Any performance pad is going to dust like crazy. I run in advanced. The stock pad is no worse or better for dust than a lot of others, it is actually a Ferodo DS2500 pad and it's a very good pad, lasts very well with hard track use. Powerstop Track Day pads are probably as bad, maybe even worse for dust and will not take the heat that the stock pads will live with. In a long hard braking zone they will start to give up towards the end of the zone and it's quite unnerving. Stock pads are very rotor friendly, the Powerstop pads not quite as friendly but not horrible either. I mention these two pads as they are dual purpose. OEM pads $$$, Powerstop $$. Pure race pads are going to be worse for sticky dust in my experience.

There is no solution for dust and track days, they go hand in hand. First thing I do after a track day is get the car up in the air and pull the wheels for a thorough wash down. If you do that religiously you will not get any dust build up. Also if you get new wheels look for some that are easier to clean.

OP
OP
pgonza2723

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
I apologize for not being more clear. Dust is not an issue in general for me. I don't care if the wheel is covered head to toe by just looking at the wheel in a weird day on track days. That's why I swap after track days to more street pads. I was looking more for feedback about track oriented pads that do not leave abrasive residue or permanent/hard to get off residue on the wheels type thing, even if cleaned after a day of tracking. I've read where some guys have mentioned having to wet sand gunk off. If that's the cost to play, then I can wait till get track oriented wheels, but was wanting to know if there was a middle ground... great performance without putting off wheel damaging dust if that makes sense.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
GLOC residue comes easily and doesn’t embed.

Im a little surprised you aren’t overheating things yet, but it took me a handful of track days before I was pushing my own stock pads hard enough to overheat them. When the stock pads would get a bit too hot they still worked pretty well, but I felt like I had to really stand on them to brake as hard as before.

Just make sure to flush your fluid before or after events. CotA can be hard on brakes but the overrun areas are generous. If you mess up your braking at MSRH, you may need a tow home.

OP
OP
pgonza2723

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
So being I still have the OEM pads in the rear, would you think for the short term, R10 with OEM rear? Looking at the matrix they have, looks like they like to do the R10/R8 combo for mild track use and R12/R10 for moderate. Do you bounce between the GS-1 fronts with R8/R10 rears? Dust/noise for keeping the rears an issue? Thanks for your input.

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I think the oem pads are doing what you're asking for. I have not found a need to switch to anything more aggressive than the oem pad yet.
If you aren't getting pad fade yet I wouldn't worry about it.
When you get some dedicated wheels and stickier tires then look at different pads.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Any performance pad is going to dust like crazy. I run in advanced. The stock pad is no worse or better for dust than a lot of others, it is actually a Ferodo DS2500 pad and it's a very good pad, lasts very well with hard track use. Powerstop Track Day pads are probably as bad, maybe even worse for dust and will not take the heat that the stock pads will live with. In a long hard braking zone they will start to give up towards the end of the zone and it's quite unnerving. Stock pads are very rotor friendly, the Powerstop pads not quite as friendly but not horrible either. I mention these two pads as they are dual purpose. OEM pads $$$, Powerstop $$. Pure race pads are going to be worse for sticky dust in my experience.

There is no solution for dust and track days, they go hand in hand. First thing I do after a track day is get the car up in the air and pull the wheels for a thorough wash down. If you do that religiously you will not get any dust build up. Also if you get new wheels look for some that are easier to clean.
I'm supprised you think the Powerstops are worse overall than the stock Ferodos. I run powerstop with steeda 2 piece rotors so that may help keep them a bit cooler. My home track strait only hits about 120 also. I much prefer the Powerstops, and they have an unbeatable price for a track oriented pad.They dust like crazy for sure though, and only seem mildly aggressive on the rotors. I'm on my third set and the only place they are wearing the rotors is at the top of the slots where all the dust exits the slot. It's gouged in slightly deeper in that area. The rears will absolutey roast and become dangerous if you run in sport + mode and traction control keeps them over heated. Next year I'm going to try a r12/r10 combo so I can switch out to the RS1s during the winter months(Texas). Powerstop pads are like 180 front and rear, r12/10 combo with RS1 will cost something like 700-800 dollars. Unless you're really pushing the car the extra price is hard to justify.

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So being I still have the OEM pads in the rear, would you think for the short term, R10 with OEM rear? Looking at the matrix they have, looks like they like to do the R10/R8 combo for mild track use and R12/R10 for moderate. Do you bounce between the GS-1 fronts with R8/R10 rears? Dust/noise for keeping the rears an issue? Thanks for your input.
Yeah I bounce between the GS-1 and R12/R10, which is what i would recommend. R8s are like an autox compound. Just dont do R10/R10 or R12/R12, it sounds like our cars like a staggered pad compound for GLOCs. The GS-1 are a little less dusty and grabby than the stock oads, but quite good and quiet if you dont drive them at the track and glaze them Iike I do sometimes :)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
As far as price goes, it you keep the car long enough you’ll use the pads eventually. Its like buying extra soap at the house, you’ll use it eventually, so the extra cost is just upfront cost.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm supprised you think the Powerstops are worse overall than the stock Ferodos. I run powerstop with steeda 2 piece rotors so that may help keep them a bit cooler. My home track strait only hits about 120 also. I much prefer the Powerstops, and they have an unbeatable price for a track oriented pad.They dust like crazy for sure though, and only seem mildly aggressive on the rotors. I'm on my third set and the only place they are wearing the rotors is at the top of the slots where all the dust exits the slot. It's gouged in slightly deeper in that area. The rears will absolutey roast and become dangerous if you run in sport + mode and traction control keeps them over heated. Next year I'm going to try a r12/r10 combo so I can switch out to the RS1s during the winter months(Texas). Powerstop pads are like 180 front and rear, r12/10 combo with RS1 will cost something like 700-800 dollars. Unless you're really pushing the car the extra price is hard to justify.
Just my experience, we all drive differently. At Mosport the Powerstops have seemed fine, even braking from 145 MPH on the back straight and from 120 mph to 50 into Turn 5. It's not a hard braking track. But at a couple of technical tracks I run that have either a single very long downhill brake zone after a long straight (Mont Tremblant) or multiple hard braking zones in a row (Shannonville) the Powerstops definitely are giving it up late in the last braking zone. You can easily feel the deceleration force dropping off and my data indicates that is happening. I like the price of the Powerstops though vs the OEM!!! I'm going to try Hawk race pads next and see how they stack up.

BTW, I've never had a problem with the rear OEM brakes, the PP rear pads are a different part number according to my parts guy so watch they don't give you V6 or EcoBoost pads. I come from an endurance racing background and I learned the hard way how to manage brakes!

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Just my experience, we all drive differently. At Mosport the Powerstops have seemed fine, even braking from 145 MPH on the back straight and from 120 mph to 50 into Turn 5. It's not a hard braking track. But at a couple of technical tracks I run that have either a single very long downhill brake zone after a long straight (Mont Tremblant) or multiple hard braking zones in a row (Shannonville) the Powerstops definitely are giving it up late in the last braking zone. You can easily feel the deceleration force dropping off and my data indicates that is happening. I like the price of the Powerstops though vs the OEM!!! I'm going to try Hawk race pads next and see how they stack up.

BTW, I've never had a problem with the rear OEM brakes, the PP rear pads are a different part number according to my parts guy so watch they don't give you V6 or EcoBoost pads. I come from an endurance racing background and I learned the hard way how to manage brakes!
Yea mosport! I have a DDT lapping day Sunday the 28.
I don't know I'll get on the GP track this year though.

OP
OP
pgonza2723

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
As far as price goes, it you keep the car long enough you’ll use the pads eventually. Its like buying extra soap at the house, you’ll use it eventually, so the extra cost is just upfront cost.
Definitely get that...just don't want to double buy pads to just shelve them.

It's what I figured about OEM. Ended up getting R8 for the rears. I may try the R10s in front with OEM rear and see how it feels. If all goes well, then will stick with that combo.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely get that...just don't want to double buy pads to just shelve them.

It's what I figured about OEM. Ended up getting R8 for the rears. I may try the R10s in front with OEM rear and see how it feels. If all goes well, then will stick with that combo.
Those are both untested recipes. Let us know how it works.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea mosport! I have a DDT lapping day Sunday the 28.
I don't know I'll get on the GP track this year though.
Heading down there bright and early tomorrow morning for a day on the big track with Speed Therapy. If you do try the big track consider going to one of their days, they have instructors available and their pricing for a track day on the GP track is the best. Nice guys too. Talk to Desmond at JRP, he can give you more info.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Heading down there bright and early tomorrow morning for a day on the big track with Speed Therapy. If you do try the big track consider going to one of their days, they have instructors available and their pricing for a track day on the GP track is the best. Nice guys too. Talk to Desmond at JRP, he can give you more info.
I did the GP track my first time last year at the mustangs at mosport event.
Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored