Top Coats

Tukman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2020 pp2 Roush stage 2 Mustang GT/ 2019 Bullitt
I would like to know who uses what to get that deep glossy glassy slick beautiful look on their cars. Mine are ceramic pro covered and I use ceramic pro sport occasionally.
CB42184A-F2DD-4747-8532-F6207FC27A86.jpeg
Sponsored

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I look at cars that have had the ceramic coat applied, i.e. Opti-coat, CarPro, etc. and IMO they look like someone applied a sheet of Saran Wrap on them. Doesn't look natural, shiney? Yes, but not like cars that have had the paint corrected, polished, waxed, glazed and sealed. But that is just me.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I had the paint corrected on a new (black) Porsche once, and never again. Just not worth it IMO. That was before applying PPF, but even though the guy was supposedly a 'real pro', he went over the freaking clearcoat in several places. Not too badly, but that told me the rest of the clearcoat was probably microscopically thin. Rather have a bit of orange peel, but a healthy clearcoat.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Clearcoat is extremely thin to begin with. If during the first stage of compounding the surface it sounds like he burned through the clearcoat, he committed the worst sin a detailer can commit.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
If the factory clearcoat is pretty thin then it might explain why my door handle areas are foggy looking..and a wash doesn't help cause I thought it might be hand oil build up over time..Anyone with the darker colors have this happening?

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
he committed the worst sin a detailer can commit.
I know man. But he did my brother's Ferraris, and a ton of other exotics before my 'plebeian' Porsche. Ha ha. He had a high-powered LED headband, and used good products, and a good orbital machine, so he certainly knew what he was doing. But like you said, since it's very thin to begin with, you can go over it very easily, I guess. That's why I don't want to do that ever again. My brother convinced me to do it, but regretted it... and it wasn't cheap at all. I drive my cars, so I'm not OCD on the exterior, since I'd never take them to an auto show, or crap like that. Just wash them after each trip. And dust them off with a 'California Duster' in-between. Ha ha. However, I like to keep them immaculate on the inside, since I can keep them that way. and I see that 100 of the time I drive :). Living in the dusty desert, makes it impossible to keep them clean even before I finish. Ha ha. By the time I get to the rear, the front is dusty already. And don't get me wrong; my cars look great on the outside, even after years. But just not like a mirror, like if I was going to show them at Pebble Beach. But always with no defects, like door dings, scratches, wheel rash, etc. Any of that crap I DO HAVE to fix immediately. But don't obsess with the paint; that's all. Just wax them regularly, and they basically look like new until I sell them. Just with the typical factory orange peel... which I don't mind anymore :D.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you went over the clearcoat, nothing will fix that. The clear gives it the shiny look; the paint underneath is dull, or as 20ducks said, 'foggy'. And that's a hard job to touch-up, so have to take it to a pro. The good news on my ex-Porsche is it had film over it, so it wasn't that noticeable. Plus it was on the roof, and other inconspicuous areas. So let it go, but dealing with those guys left a bad taste in my mouth. Ha ha. If the 'foggy' area is in a noticeable place, it'd bother me for sure. But at least a mobile pro should be able to 'blend' it without having to disassemble anything, or having to leave the car in a body shop. Keep us posted.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I don't think I've worn the clear away but i have dulled the shine..I have many times come out of the workplace greasy handed(maintenance machist) and not getting in but when i get home shutting the door near the door handle area..I guess Ive unintentionally over time smudged it too much without an Immediate cleaning..Ive never waxed and polished the car because of the glimmering swirl mess that is left behind on dark paint colors...I think I'll try some waxing first with a very soft cloth and see if i can help it any..thanks

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It really sounds like your installer just didn't do a great job with your car.

I know man. But he did my brother's Ferraris, and a ton of other exotics before my 'plebeian' Porsche. Ha ha. He had a high-powered LED headband, and used good products, and a good orbital machine, so he certainly knew what he was doing. But like you said, since it's very thin to begin with, you can go over it very easily, I guess. That's why I don't want to do that ever again. My brother convinced me to do it, but regretted it... and it wasn't cheap at all. I drive my cars, so I'm not OCD on the exterior, since I'd never take them to an auto show, or crap like that. Just wash them after each trip. And dust them off with a 'California Duster' in-between. Ha ha. However, I like to keep them immaculate on the inside, since I can keep them that way. and I see that 100 of the time I drive :). Living in the dusty desert, makes it impossible to keep them clean even before I finish. Ha ha. By the time I get to the rear, the front is dusty already. And don't get me wrong; my cars look great on the outside, even after years. But just not like a mirror, like if I was going to show them at Pebble Beach. But always with no defects, like door dings, scratches, wheel rash, etc. Any of that crap I DO HAVE to fix immediately. But don't obsess with the paint; that's all. Just wax them regularly, and they basically look like new until I sell them. Just with the typical factory orange peel... which I don't mind anymore :D.
Sponsored