Tolerance for suspension clunks, other noises

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I had quite a fit awhile back. I've been through all sorts of noises after my aftermarket suspension parts were put on.

After many trips to shop and anguish, we finally got it fixed. Then today on my drive up my street I start hearing the clunk, clunk, clunk from the right rear again. I suspect it may be the BMR toe rod installed slightly cockeyed when they did the alignment. I think this because I ran into this issue before.

I do not want to spend anymore time on this. So I ask you all- should there be a tolerance for this kind of thing? What are you willing to deal with?

Should I invest MORE time in fixing it or just forget about it and drive the car? Most of the time it's quiet. I'm leaning towards to latter because if I try to get the shop to eliminate the noise, it or some other noise may show up again months later anyway.
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Is everything installed correctly? Big difference between an assumed increase in NVH vs clunking.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Is everything installed correctly? Big difference between an assumed increase in NVH vs clunking.
This.

To me 'clunking' or random noises are issues that should not be happening and should be addressed. If you don't, something new could crop up and you may never know because it is masked by the other.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I'd contact BMR and ask what they think. After that from my own personal, minor OCD with these sorts of things, not that you do it, but driving around listening for shit with the radio off isn't good. Differentiate between problem, and benign noises.
Of all my cars, they all squeake, clunk, groan, to different degrees.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The vehicle has driven quietly for at least a month now. There was a slight groan from the front when going over large speed bumps but it was so slight that it wasn't worth bothering with and the tech and I both acknowledged that issue. Driving down the road the car is completely silent. The clunk noise I have only heard just recently during situations of rough road and driving slowly. My street is very bumpy and poorly paved.

I'm inclined to think they are akin to benign noises but the mods I've done to tighten up the rear could potentially lead to more noises I think, especially since some parts are still stock hardware. But I don't really know that's why I'm asking you all.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I just eliminated a clunk from my rear suspension that was caused by the pictured brake line bracket bolt (the top bolt in the photo - 10mm bolt, 13mm nut on back) being stripped causing it to stay loose and not unscrew or screw in (therefore never actually getting tight). This probably happened because I gave the bolt too much torque at one point. The little bracket (attached to the brake line) was rotating rapidly banging against the sway bar bolt and that noise was amplified across the sway bar, which is under tension. I had to cut it off and replace the bolt. I have Steeda bars but effectively the same thing can happen with BMR bars, as clearly evidenced by the photo. Food for thought.
Capture.jpg

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
As for NVH in general, when you add bracing, spherical bearings, stiffer springs, and otherwise modify the chassis that Ford spend millions to make tolerable to the masses, you should expect NVH.

It may be minor, but each instance adds up. Expect some NVH regardless of what the product descriptions state.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
As for NVH in general, when you add bracing, spherical bearings, stiffer springs, and otherwise modify the chassis that Ford spend millions to make tolerable to the masses, you should expect NVH.

It may be minor, but each instance adds up. Expect some NVH regardless of what the product descriptions state.
This I think is correct. Noise is the first N in NVH. Now I'm relatively new the Mustang game and the car game in general, but seems to me that modifications like I have done, some noise is to be expected. I bet no one else in the car would ever notice, definitely not with the radio on even normal volume and even then, I doubt they'd notice. I notice because I'm OCD about it after going through a few legitimate noise issues. I notice it in rare instances and only when all radio is off and windows up. There's even some real bad warped pavement at the stop sign down the street from me - the car rocks back and forth but not a sound. And nothing in the operation or handling of the car would suggest any issues.

I think what I am experiencing is just minor NVH as you suggested [MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION]

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
Excellent responses here. But be clear that the N in NVH means additional road and driveline noise amplification, not new or random or out of place "noises". People often get this mixed up.

Properly designed aftermarket parts should operate noise-free but they almost always increase NVH inside the car. Take for instance the spherical bearing, as wildcat noted. Any bearing of this type that is installed in place of an OE rubber bushing will transmit more noise into the cabin BUT the bearing itself will be noise-free. If the bearing clunks or clicks then you've got a problem - that's a different story.

In the end, no - you should have zero clunking or rubbing. If you do then something is wrong. These types of noises drive me mad because they indicate a problem.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
I've done a lot of suspension mods over the years. Some increased NVH (harmonics), some did not (or least not noticeable to me). I've found that rotating noise (e.g., gears) when transferred into the cabin due to rigid mounts that act like amplifiers, are the worst and generally cannot be fixed short of removing the offending amplifier. The occasional bump from a coil over or thump from a pipe hitting something can be annoying over time. And these can usually be fixed once you take the time a look for witness marks. Increased NVH from bushing swaps are generally not a big issue. If one does his own work the frustration diminishes with the number of attempted fixes.
Sponsored