Sponsored

To wing or not to wing

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT with Recaro bucket seat option.
Plus, you have the black convertible top and interior showing when the top is down. Just me I know. If my car had a black top or black stripes it would be a done deal.
Sponsored

Virnman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2019 GT Premium Vert 401A A10
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I live in the valley of the sun and convertibles are everywhere! I hated the blade spoiler - just did nothing for me. These cars have so much black trim, to me the more I add the better it looks.
Plus, you have the black convertible top and interior showing when the top is down. Just me I know. If my car had a black top or black stripes it would be a done deal.
Thanks! My last one was Race Red…I wanted to do a black and white one this time. The more black accents I add the better she looks.

They do look sleeper’ish and sleek without a deck spoiler/wing. I do like that look. I just prefer the more aggressive look. The difference is drastic In my opinion. Either way you can’t lose.

Keep us posted on what you chose.

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I live in the valley of the sun and convertibles are everywhere! I hated the blade spoiler - just did nothing for me. These cars have so much black trim, to me the more I add the better it looks.

Thanks! My last one was Race Red…I wanted to do a black and white one this time. The more black accents I add the better she looks.

They do look sleeper’ish and sleek without a deck spoiler/wing. I do like that look. I just prefer the more aggressive look. The difference is drastic In my opinion. Either way you can’t lose.

I don't think mine has that much black trim. if it was a Mach or had the black convertible top and taillights, like I said, it would be a done deal hands down. Your's it looks cool. If you had a white spoiler, there would be too much white for the black. In your case it brings all the contrast together. Makes the black top blend in with the car. It looks really good! It's like wearing blue jeans with black shirt, black shoes and a black jacket.

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)

I'll admit, I'm too old school. My dad had a 62 Fairlane 500 red with red and white rolled pleated interior. Chrome everywhere. He kept that car SPOTLESS. That's where my tastes come from, I'll admit. My dad was all about this stiff. Car had to look good. Everything had to blend and flow.

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)

Here you go. My dad's was a two door however.

1962_Ford_Fairlane_1.jpg

Sponsored

Virnman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2019 GT Premium Vert 401A A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'll admit, I'm too old school. My dad had a 62 Fairlane 500 red with red and white rolled pleated interior. Chrome everywhere. He kept that car SPOTLESS. That's where my tastes come from, I'll admit. My dad was all about this stiff. Car had to look good. Everything had to blend and flow.
That’s where my love of cars came from too…my dad was a mechanic at my grandfather’s service station as a teen in the 50’s. His life mirrored the film American Graffiti. He’s 88 now and loves to go for rides in my Mustang.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sure, but you seem to have missed the point that the PP1 spoiler provides zero downforce. It's all show and zero go.
I don’t get your point… Are you just saying the spoiler is stupid?

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
That’s where my love of cars came from too…my dad was a mechanic at my grandfather’s service station as a teen in the 50’s. His life mirrored the film American Graffiti. He’s 88 now and loves to go for rides in my Mustang.
That's awesome. Yeah, your spoiler sets the car off. Blends everything. I would like to bring a little accent to the interior of mine. Lots of ideas but no money. LOL The spoiler on the 69 and 70 did the same thing. If I had a little more black I would do what you did with yours. I'm glad you get what I'm saying. I'm thinking about keeping my size of tire and going with chrome wheels. No one does chrome anymore. I think chrome would look good against the silver. Thanks for sharing the pics and helping my ideas. Nice ride nice. Convertibles are rare here in Texas. I have only seen one around town and it is a Gen 1 Coyote.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Because Fords concern is mileage, not downforce.
In order to get the most of the performance this car offers, it requires downforce.
Aside from the 1 or 2% of people who race/track these cars is a wing really needed for anything other than aesthetics?

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
These would look awesome. Old school and new school together.

s-l1600.jpg

Sponsored

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Aside from the 1 or 2% of people who race/track these cars is a wing really needed for anything other than aesthetics?
Yes. It’s needed for downforce. It increases traction and stability. Yes I am aware of the conditions and speeds required by different spoilers to create different amounts of downforce.

I am not an aerodynamicist but I have raced motorcycles my whole life and have been heavily involved in the development of motorcycle helmets for the 15 years I worked at Shoei and Bell helmets. I am very aware of downforce and the role it plays in racing. Yes I am aware that’s motorcycles and not cars, yes I am aware that’s racing not driving on the streets. Yes I need a big spoiler on my car for something other than aesthetics.

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Sure, but you seem to have missed the point that the PP1 spoiler provides zero downforce. It's all show and zero go.
I’ve heard it provides 50-60lb of downforce but only above 80mph

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
big wing = big wang

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I’ve completely gone down the rabbit hole, got the wing coming, got a PP2 front spoiler coming, got a bulllit front grill coming, considering LMR bronze PP2 rims.

This is quite the addiction lol

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Yes. It’s needed for downforce. It increases traction and stability.

that’s racing not driving on the streets.

Yes I need a big spoiler on my car for something other than aesthetics.
Yes, l know what a properly designed spoiler/wing does.

That was my point, 98% of cars are street cars. Wings may be of some help but, be honest, they're mostly for looks.

Why do you need a big spoiler? Do you track or (legally) race the car?

The OP's question was about putting a wing on his car that came stock with nothing on the deck lid.
Now since stock Mustangs are really quite planted on the street into triple digits there's really no "need" for a wing if they're a street car other than aesethetics.
There's nothing wrong with doing it for looks, absolutely not.
But the vast majority don't NEED more downforce.
Sponsored