To Supercharge or to Not Supercharge,

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
+1000. I've had centrifugal cars and PD cars. The PD cars are much more fun and much more useful for around town driving.
Since you have experience with both styles how about answering a question or two?

How does the noise factor in?
One sits on top of the engine and the other sits up in front with the alternator, right? Is one style quieter than the other?
Does one have some sort of lag, like a turbo?
Is there any increase in underhood temperature like there is with a turbo setup?
Is there any reason to go with the Ford Racing setup over the Whipple or Roush other than warranty? Perhaps a more reliable long term tune?
How about fuel restrictions?
I really like having the option to run 87 octane if it becomes a necessity at some point even though I will normally run 91 octane. Is that still an option after having the supercharger installed?
I also intend to keep the stock exhaust for nice quiet daily driving even though it will be reputedly giving up 30 HP over an aftermarket exhaust catback system. Would it still be giving up30 HP With a supercharger or is the loss a percentage?
Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do it

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Is it obnoxious to want a blower with the loudest whistle? I want to HEAR the power.

oyitsagreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Is it obnoxious to want a blower with the loudest whistle? I want to HEAR the power.
No, and others will thank you for that noise...

Hearing S/C car at full tilt gives me goosebumps :hail:

Yellow15Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Yellow GT on order
First post here, so this might be a dumb question.
Since the supercharger works off an engine belt, how much does it decrease mileage when you are just loafing along on the highway at 70 mph, presuming the factory GT will get the rated 25 mph?
Definitely not counting when you put your foot in it, as I would expect that extra horsepower to come at a price.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Since the supercharger works off an engine belt, how much does it decrease mileage when you are just loafing along on the highway at 70 mph, presuming the factory GT will get the rated 25 mph?
Definitely not counting when you put your foot in it, as I would expect that extra horsepower to come at a price.
most modern blowers are super efficient. They only take around half a horsepower or so to turn at 60 miles an hour

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6

What he said about efficiency. They don't sap much hp until needed to move air under pressure.

My 2011 with tvs actually gets much better than it did factory stock cruising around. I get 18ish normally and up to 26 hwy. I got 16ish and 24 bone stock.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Since I'll be wanting to track my car (at some point), a SC just doesn't seem like the right approach. Although I was completely unaware that a SC was so efficient under 'normal' driving conditions.

I really think with just a new exhaust and tune, I'll get 425+ whp which seems like enough for fun at the track, plus seems quite simple for me to install the exhaust myself. I'm hoping for a FRPP TracKey to keep the warranty.

If you're not going to track it, then a SC may well be the ticket. Pun intended. ;)

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Since I'll be wanting to track my car (at some point), a SC just doesn't seem like the right approach. Although I was completely unaware that a SC was so efficient under 'normal' driving conditions.

I really think with just a new exhaust and tune, I'll get 425+ whp which seems like enough for fun at the track, plus seems quite simple for me to install the exhaust myself. I'm hoping for a FRPP TracKey to keep the warranty.

If you're not going to track it, then a SC may well be the ticket. Pun intended. ;)
You don't need and you probably wouldn't like a supercharger on a track driven Mustang. Keeping intake air temperature down is a nightmare on the track. Hard enough on the road but a track it is down right frustrating. One lap the car makes good power the next lap less and third lap you're having to cruse around in slow motion hoping the car will recover.

Sponsored

Yellow15Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Yellow GT on order
You don't need and you probably wouldn't like a supercharger on a track driven Mustang. Keeping intake air temperature down is a nightmare on the track. Hard enough on the road but a track it is down right frustrating. One lap the car makes good power the next lap less and third lap you're having to cruse around in slow motion hoping the car will recover.
Is this why so many road race cars are turbocharged rather than supercharged?
If so, now I have just learned something.:thumbsup:

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Let us know if we can help you out, that TVS is going to be an AMAZING upgrade!

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6

And on the slowest lap it's still making more power and especially down low torque than N/A.

But for tracked cars, heat exchange paramount.

Drag strip is even more so due to hear soak during down time between passes.

Turbos are just as bad. The advantage is a properly designed turbo system will make more power. Very expensive and very involved to really design and build it right to fit.
Sponsored