Sponsored

To Supercharge or to Not Supercharge,

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
If you're racing at all, road, AutoX, drag..etc, you really need to go with N/A.
However, for pure street hoonage and fun...FI is hard to beat!

Note: Yes I know a lot of drag cars are FI, they have a HUGE problem if running hot laps. I've seen more than a few folks at my local track with bags of ice and in a full blown(no pun intended) panic trying to get their temps down between runs.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
+1 and not a fan of blower whine

I'd go FBO and be happy.
Sacrilege! Louder the better. I'm getting a blower installed, I just don't know which one yet. They'll all make gobs of power, so I'll probably end up with the one with the most obnoxious whine - whether that's the whipple, tvs, what-have-you.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
parasitic superchargers aren't my cup of tea.. turbo?

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
parasitic superchargers aren't my cup of tea.. turbo?

Unless you design your own, fabricate it, test and tweak until theoretically perfect, turbos are parasitic also. Most over the counter turbo systems are just as parasitic as superchargers. Personally, I'll save the complexity and heat issues and go supercharger. But I understand the desire to go turbo. But don't use parasitic loss as an excuse to do it. Just admit that that is what uou want. In truth, they will all exceed the stock capabilities of the motor.

OP
OP

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
Man so many choices and so many great reasons to add a blower and to not add one. Thats what I love about the Mustang, you really can make it yours.

So I do have another question for the supercharger aficionados out there. Does the supercharger require the addition of a high pressure fuel pump?

I ask because I have a turbocharged car now and the ticking sound the pump makes kinda bugs me every time I lift the hood.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I assume your turbocharged car is a fairly new model and Direct Injected. That is what is making that noise. You can't simply add a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) to a vehicle that does not already have one. So no you don't have to add a HPFP to any FI engine, you may have to buy a higher output low pressure fuel pump to keep up with fueling but now adays an HPFP is only in regards to DI engines.

OP
OP

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
I assume your turbocharged car is a fairly new model and Direct Injected. That is what is making that noise. You can't simply add a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) to a vehicle that does not already have one. So no you don't have to add a HPFP to any FI engine, you may have to buy a higher output low pressure fuel pump to keep up with fueling but now adays an HPFP is only in regards to DI engines.
Ok thanks for clearing that up for me, and yes I currently have a direct injected turbocharged car.

5OHHHHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Raptor
Well since nobody answered your questions I will :shrug: Ive had two mustangs with centrifugal and two cars with PD blowers.

Since you have experience with both styles how about answering a question or two?

How does the noise factor in? The PD blowers have a high pitched whine when you are on the gas. The centris are pretty quiet during acceleration (might just be my expirience though because both my cars with centris were catless).

One sits on top of the engine and the other sits up in front with the alternator, right? Is one style quieter than the other? If you are looking for a quiet supercharger look at centris.

Does one have some sort of lag, like a turbo? Centris have a little lag where as PD blowers are pretty much instant power. I consider centris the middle ground for lag between turbos with a lot of lag and PD blowers with almost none.

Is there any increase in underhood temperature like there is with a turbo setup? Im sure there is some increase with both but I have never had an issue with it (I havent done any roadcoarse track days yet though)

Is there any reason to go with the Ford Racing setup over the Whipple or Roush other than warranty? Perhaps a more reliable long term tune? If you buy a FRPP kit and have it installed at a FRPP approved shop/dealership Im pretty sure your warranty with Ford stays intact. Not positive though, warranty is something I dont really worry about too much to be honest lol Vortech/Paxton have a warranty on their kits but I dont think it is as good as the one youd get with an FRPP kit.

How about fuel restrictions?
I really like having the option to run 87 octane if it becomes a necessity at some point even though I will normally run 91 octane. Is that still an option after having the supercharger installed? Always 91 octane and up in my expirience, I was surprised to read that the ecoboost can be run with 87 (not sure if that was true or not, just read it on a forum so dont run 87 in an ecoboost car (or any forced induction car) based on what I am saying. I will never run less than 91.

I also intend to keep the stock exhaust for nice quiet daily driving even though it will be reputedly giving up 30 HP over an aftermarket exhaust catback system. Would it still be giving up30 HP With a supercharger or is the loss a percentage? You are going to want to upgrade the exhaust based on the fact that the stock exhaust seems to be pretty restrictive which is no good when you are adding 200+ hp

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
^ Good answers :amen:

I think the whipple kit for the 15;s will be very nice. Whipple makes great blowers for the Shelby crowds.

But int truth I think a lot of choices will be great. The TVS's def are good, but I believe ATI, Vortech, and KB will step up and put great systems out. The new 15's will be beasts with FI....I may have to watch for em....

Then again....naw :lol:

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat
Do it...Do it....DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You won't regret it (your back tires will though) !:D
Sponsored