Sponsored

Tire replacement

hotrod33647

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt PP
Looking to replace the rear tires and need suggestions. Money no object what would you buy and bang for the buck what would be a good recommendation. Finally, is there any performance advantage going wider (285 or 295 mm). Hindsight, one would think going wider would generate better grip but saw an old article where going wider didn't generate added performance so any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Happy New Year and a safe one to my fellow Mustang owners.
Sponsored

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
I'm not trying to be that search nazi guy but you should check out the wheels and tires section of the forum. Tons of info to be found there. :cheers:

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Michelin Pilot Super Sports. /Thread

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
You really shouldn't run different brand/make tires on your car. Stick with the same brand/make or replace all 4.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Looking to replace the rear tires and need suggestions. Money no object what would you buy and bang for the buck what would be a good recommendation. Finally, is there any performance advantage going wider (285 or 295 mm). Hindsight, one would think going wider would generate better grip but saw an old article where going wider didn't generate added performance so any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Happy New Year and a safe one to my fellow Mustang owners.
MPSS. Near as I can tell, P-Zero fronts with MPSS rears will remain understeerish, possibly a little more so than P-Zeroes all around. Safe, but I'd plan on moving up to MPSS all around.

295/xx is out of spec for 9.5" wide wheels, don't look at these unless you're also looking at getting wheels at least 10" wide (and preferably 1/2", maybe 1" wider than that).

285/xx is (just barely) acceptable per tire industry standards, may cost you some steering precision on 9.5" wide wheels (10" or even 10.5" would be better).

Actual tread width frequently does not correspond to tire sizes/section widths. Example: 265/40-18 and 285/35-18 MPSS both claim to have a 10.2" tread width in spite of the 20mm size difference. You can even find cases where some narrower tire size actually has a wider tread than at least one wider size.

Norm
Sponsored