Sponsored

Timing guides / tensioners

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
How important is it to upgrade these components. The consensus seems to be OPG and CSS. But opinions are all over the place on the other upgrades, especially for a street car.

Does the voodoo have boss tensioners, or standard 5.0 units? I know one unfortunate guy that had a piece of tensioner break off and took out the pump, is this common?

Do the stock units really become brittle with e85?

Does the stock setup actually allow for a lot of timing fluctuation as per MMR?
Sponsored

rts9364

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
Color me curious.

I'm looking where to draw the line for the "while you're in there" mindset.

OP
OP

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Exactly. As I do know of at least one person who has broke a tensioner I am curious as to the frequency of the problem.

Doesn't help that these rather simple parts are a bit on the high side.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
curious what you come up with, i did not find much info on this job AT ALL. up to your ears in the stuff for the coyote...just nothing for the voodoo. you planning on taking it to a shop or doing yourself?

Sponsored

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just did a quick search on a Ford parts website as your question got me curious. Here's what I found:
The 2015-2017 5.0L and 5.2L use the same primary and secondary cam chain tensioners:
Primary Cam Chain Tensioner: FR3Z-6L266-B
Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner: BR3Z-6K254-B

The 2013 Boss 302 uses a different primary chain tensioner but the same secondary chain tensioner as the 15-17:
Primrary Cam Chain Tensioner: CR3Z-6L266-A

I remember reading somewhere that the Boss 302 uses a different primary chain tensioner because the high RPM coupled with the higher viscosity oil causes the normal tensioner to pump up. The Boss 302 tensioner has some kind of bleed down valve to prevent the pump up.

As far as e85 causing them to fail...can't tell you for sure on that one. It's been my experience with e85 that while it does have an ill effect on some metals directly in the fuel stream I never had an issue with it damaging hard parts inside the engine. Given that Ford has sold upwards of 1M+ (presumably in all variations) of these engines there's bound to be some failures due to manufacturing issues, age, improper maintenance, etc.

When I had mine apart I installed the Boss 302 primary tensioners and the MMR secondary timing chain bracket. Knowing what I know now I probably would have just installed the MMR bracket and called it good. Given that the 5.2 turns 8500rpm and uses the same tensioner as the 5.0 it's safe to say that increasing the rpm via a tune shouldn't cause the stock tensioners to fail.

OP
OP

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
good info thanks, The one failure I am aware of had MMR Billet guides and stock tensioners. I think I will leave it stock unless I can confirm the 2013 BOSS units are still better than the 2015 part. I do think that if I decide to update any of the parts I will do the entire system. stifining the guides is sure to deflect more pressure on the tensioners.

Just did a quick search on a Ford parts website as your question got me curious. Here's what I found:
The 2015-2017 5.0L and 5.2L use the same primary and secondary cam chain tensioners:

The 2013 Boss 302 uses a different primary chain tensioner but the same secondary chain tensioner as the 15-17:

I remember reading somewhere that the Boss 302 uses a different primary chain tensioner because the high RPM coupled with the higher viscosity oil causes the normal tensioner to pump up. The Boss 302 tensioner has some kind of bleed down valve to prevent the pump up.

As far as e85 causing them to fail...can't tell you for sure on that one. It's been my experience with e85 that while it does have an ill effect on some metals directly in the fuel stream I never had an issue with it damaging hard parts inside the engine. Given that Ford has sold upwards of 1M+ (presumably in all variations) of these engines there's bound to be some failures due to manufacturing issues, age, improper maintenance, etc.

When I had mine apart I installed the Boss 302 primary tensioners and the MMR secondary timing chain bracket. Knowing what I know now I probably would have just installed the MMR bracket and called it good. Given that the 5.2 turns 8500rpm and uses the same tensioner as the 5.0 it's safe to say that increasing the rpm via a tune shouldn't cause the stock tensioners to fail.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I could be wrong but I believe it becomes more important with sustained high RPM (track car) more than anything.

As for E85, the fuel is nowhere near the timing components so that wont make a difference.

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I agree with [MENTION=20644]ahl395[/MENTION]...the Boss 302 tensioners are probably for sustained high rpm use. However, given that the voodoo doesn't use the Boss 302 tensioner I would assume that Ford has discovered that the Boss 302 design isn't necessary or they have changed something in the current tensioner design.

As for E85 causing corrosion to parts that are not in the fuel stream...you're always going to get some fuel contamination in the oil due to fuel vapors accumulating in the crankcase. Luckily, ethanol doesn't mix as easily with oil as pure gasoline but it is extremely hygroscopic and acidic. Depending upon the amount of fuel vapor that accumulates in the crankcase, and the frequency in which the oil is changed, it is possible that there could be some corrosive effect on engine parts that are not directly in the fuel stream given the right circumstances.
That being said, the Boss 302 tensioners are probably made from the same material and will not stand up to the corrosive effects of ethanol any better than the non Boss 302 tensioners.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Spoke to a Master Ford Tech who's pretty much the only person I let touch my car for warranty / non-warranty that I can't do myself work. He said he's never, ever seen worn guides / tensioner parts, even on some 100K+ Mustangs. But, as they say, while you're in there...

Sponsored

amhauke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT

When you say MMR secondary chain brackets are you talking about the billet guides or the bracket for the drivers side turns the tensioner up side down?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I was told unless the car will see sustained periods of 7k+ that it was a waste of time and money. :shrug:

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
i have seen worn guides, mostly we only do them on built engines that will be going for really high hp and seeing hi rpms for extended time periods

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
When you say MMR secondary chain brackets are you talking about the billet guides or the bracket for the drivers side turns the tensioner up side down?
The bracket that flips the secondary tensioner upside down.
Sponsored