Sponsored

Throttle Body Issue Under Warranty?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I took my car in today because my bumper to bumper warranty runs out this weekend.

The throttle body makes an obvious random clicking noise at idle which clearly comes from the throttle body. I've read on here that it's a common problem and they usually just replace it. Well I take it to the dealer, explain how it's definitely the throttle body, yet when I go to pick the car up (the Service Dept. was closed) the sheet they left me said something like (That's the 5.0 "typewriter tick" it's normal) I know that tick and this is not it. Since my warranty expires tomorrow do you think there is any chance I will be able to get it fixed next week since I took it to them before it expired and explained the issue?

Also, I was hoping to have my passenger side puddle light replaced today, but apparently they have to take a picture of it and send it to Ford for approval? It's a $40 part and 3 minute install, is Ford really that strict?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Throttle body replacement only applied to the 2018-19’s; I have not seen or been able to find any such documents for the 2015-2017’s.

The below thread is one where I posted the initial info about Ford’s Customer Satisfaction memo and M6G Member fmc_smt posted the entire content of the article.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-19-5-0-throttle-body-replacement-18b34.115976/

The 2018/19 issue was due to the throttle bodies being manufactured with the incorrect tensioner spring.

The best advice I can offer is take the car back to the Dealership. Ask the Service Writer OR request their Shop Foreman to come out to the car and you try to demo or replicate the concern for them so you can actually point out the issue. Sometimes when just dropping off the car for service, the Tech doesn’t “get it” on the first attempt at diagnosing the issue especially when it involves sound or noise (especially inside of a busy shop). So if you can be physically there and show them in the parking lot what you’re experiencing, it will benefit them as well.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Throttle body replacement only applied to the 2018-19’s; I have not seen or been able to find any such documents for the 2015-2017’s.

The below thread is one where I posted the initial info about Ford’s Customer Satisfaction memo and M6G Member fmc_smt posted the entire content of the article.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-19-5-0-throttle-body-replacement-18b34.115976/

The 2018/19 issue was due to the throttle bodies being manufactured with the incorrect tensioner spring.

The best advice I can offer is take the car back to the Dealership. Ask the Service Writer OR request their Shop Foreman to come out to the car and you try to demo or replicate the concern for them so you can actually point out the issue. Sometimes when just dropping off the car for service, the Tech doesn’t “get it” on the first attempt at diagnosing the issue especially when it involves sound or noise (especially inside of a busy shop). So if you can be physically there and show them in the parking lot what you’re experiencing, it will benefit them as well.
Thanks. Yeah, I should have showed them. I explained to him several times how it's definitely the throttle body when I dropped it off, and when idling with the hood open it's really noticeable every few seconds, so I'm starting to think they never even opened the hood. I might try a new dealer next week, but I don't think the Ford Extended Warranty covered throttle bodies, so I might have to go back to these guys since I have the paperwork showing I bought it in for the issue before the warranty expired.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks. Yeah, I should have showed them. I explained to him several times how it's definitely the throttle body when I dropped it off, and when idling with the hood open it's really noticeable every few seconds, so I'm starting to think they never even opened the hood. I might try a new dealer next week, but I don't think the Ford Extended Warranty covered throttle bodies, so I might have to go back to these guys since I have the paperwork showing I bought it in for the issue before the warranty expired.
Did you miss the part where Cobra mentioned that it's for the 2018-19 MY only? It'll be hard to get your dealer to replace a throttle body on a 2016 with a TSB that clearly states it was a production line issue with the newer Mustangs.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you miss the part where Cobra mentioned that it's for the 2018-19 MY only? It'll be hard to get your dealer to replace a throttle body on a 2016 with a TSB that clearly states it was a production line issue with the newer Mustangs.
I meant show them the sound, not the TSB.

Sponsored

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
If it were me and I knew the TB was the issue, I'd pickup a new (takeoff) TB on eBay for $80 and replace it. Not worth dealing with an incompetent dealer and them scratching it up and causing other issues.

P/N FR3E-9F991-AA

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it were me and I knew the TB was the issue, I'd pickup a new (takeoff) TB on eBay for $80 and replace it. Not worth dealing with an incompetent dealer and them scratching it up and causing other issues.

P/N FR3E-9F991-AA
Good idea. I think new they're only like $110 or so. I'll most likely end up doing that with the puddle light as well. Not worth waiting for Ford to give me approval for a $40 part, then having to bring it back in the shop, when I can install it myself in a minute or two. I just feel like the Ford bumper to bumper warranty is worthless, especially since this is the first time in 3 years that I ever attempted to use it and all three issues were relatively minor ones. I was just curious if this was the case for everyone, or if I just had a bad/lazy dealer. It's making me second guess my Ford extended warranty I just purchased. Hopefully they at least give them approval for my hood, I know the corrosion will only get worse.
Sponsored