Thoughts on forced induction for a GT350

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
I’m considering adding forced induction to my new to me 2018 GT350 (I also have a 2020 GT with a Whipple that’s getting more mods, forged/sleeved motor with ported heads and MMR stage 2 blower cams) and I’ve narrowed it down to three options;
1) order a 3.8 Whipple head unit and 10 rib kit for my 2020 GT and use the 3.0 that currently on the GT for the Shelby as I already have the air intake tract , 132 mm throttle body, coolant tank and motor and 6 rib drive with innovative west 10% balancer and several pulleys (or save that for my 21 f150 5.0
oprion 2) Hellion twin turbo kit, Iwith this option I like saving the expense of quality long tubes headers like kooks or ARH plus the cost of having them ceramic coated would free up $3k to spend on other mods.
option3) PAXTON 2200 kit

the Paxton would be the easiest install, provide the power I’m looking for and I like that Paxtons were available and performed well on early Shelby’s and I’m kinda a sucker for nostalgia

the Hellion kit is also attractive for it quality, power potentia, upgrade abilit. But I would be concerned about under hood heat if I wanted to do track days.

third option is the Whipple, I already have it and spare parts CAI, 132 throttle body, fuelsysyemcoolant tank and pum, just buying a head unit woudnt be that bad, but I’m concerned with that much additional weight over the front axle and of course possible heat soak.

what my plans are to do to the car is tastefully upgrade the suspension and chassis and add power for occasional track events and I’d prefer to be a little on the safer side of boost level and tune
car will be 98% street driving and car shows, 2% track burn road course and light drag use.

what forced induction route has anyone else gone, what was the application and how’s it working out?
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
There’s been lots of threads on this. The forced induction section is a better place to start. You’ll get some pretty mixed opinions in here. Mine is a gen 5 on pump gas. Has a larger radiator, rear cooling mods, clutch, driveshaft, suspension mods, etc. I don’t really notice the added front end weight, but then again I did it all it once. I’ve had mine on a track, if I do it again I’d pulley it back to about 650.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Im a fan of do what you want. I can tell you what every Ford person has told me :(

OP
OP
Racinjason65

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
There’s been lots of threads on this. The forced induction section is a better place to start. You’ll get some pretty mixed opinions in here. Mine is a gen 5 on pump gas. Has a larger radiator, rear cooling mods, clutch, driveshaft, suspension mods, etc. I don’t really notice the added front end weight, but then again I did it all it once. I’ve had mine on a track, if I do it again I’d pulley it back to about 650.
Did you have any overheating issues in your experience on the track?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Racinjason65

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
im going to drive it on the street 99% of the time and that’s where it really needs more power, if I want to drag race I can use my GT for that, that’s why I’m leaning toward the Paxton for the GT350. It more or less maintains the power band, won’t overwhelm the chassis at lowerRPM, and should keep the first 3 gears useable on street tires. It doesn’t need to be 4 digit hp fast, but I do need to stay in front of C7 Z06’s on the street.

Sponsored

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I’m considering adding forced induction to my new to me 2018 GT350 (I also have a 2020 GT with a Whipple that’s getting more mods, forged/sleeved motor with ported heads and MMR stage 2 blower cams) and I’ve narrowed it down to three options;
1) order a 3.8 Whipple head unit and 10 rib kit for my 2020 GT and use the 3.0 that currently on the GT for the Shelby as I already have the air intake tract , 132 mm throttle body, coolant tank and motor and 6 rib drive with innovative west 10% balancer and several pulleys (or save that for my 21 f150 5.0
oprion 2) Hellion twin turbo kit, Iwith this option I like saving the expense of quality long tubes headers like kooks or ARH plus the cost of having them ceramic coated would free up $3k to spend on other mods.
option3) PAXTON 2200 kit

the Paxton would be the easiest install, provide the power I’m looking for and I like that Paxtons were available and performed well on early Shelby’s and I’m kinda a sucker for nostalgia

the Hellion kit is also attractive for it quality, power potentia, upgrade abilit. But I would be concerned about under hood heat if I wanted to do track days.

third option is the Whipple, I already have it and spare parts CAI, 132 throttle body, fuelsysyemcoolant tank and pum, just buying a head unit woudnt be that bad, but I’m concerned with that much additional weight over the front axle and of course possible heat soak.

what my plans are to do to the car is tastefully upgrade the suspension and chassis and add power for occasional track events and I’d prefer to be a little on the safer side of boost level and tune
car will be 98% street driving and car shows, 2% track burn road course and light drag use.

what forced induction route has anyone else gone, what was the application and how’s it working out?
I vote for option #2. I've seen and ridden in a 350 helion, and it is truly a work of art and it eliminates the GT350 torque issues down low. It is the way to go since you have the coin, IMHO.

OP
OP
Racinjason65

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I vote for option #2. I've seen and ridden in a 350 helion, and it is truly a work of art and it eliminates the GT350 torque issues down low. It is the way to go since you have the coin, IMHO.
I decided on a centrifugal this time, my GT may end up with turbos if I’m not satisfied with the Whipple after the engine build.
Sponsored