Sponsored

Thoughts on CarPlay and iOS 13 vs Sync in the Mustang

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Hi,

Big picture, I've installed CarPlay in my 2016 Mustang but after testing it out for now I'm mostly using the Sync Navigation and XM radio over Apple Maps/Waze/Spotify that I would use with CarPlay.

There are previous threads on this but they are over a year old by the way, so given the improvements with iOS 13 I just thought I'd post my notes:

1. CarPlay takes over the Sync Navigation and you have to use Apple Maps and/or Waze. However, you lose pinch to zoom. I personally use the traffic feature to avoid Atlanta traffic and from what I'm seeing it's better on Sync. Most of the other features are better with CarPlay though. I also spent $100 recently updating the Sync Maps so there is that as well.

2. Voice search navigation IS FAR SUPERIOR and faster than Sync voice search.

3. CarPlay is bright at night. You have to turn the display brightness down but during the day it's at normal brightness. That is fine if you only use CarPlay but I don't always plug my phone in and on a day to day basis it's annoying to manually adjust the brightness of the nav display.

4. Spotify is very well implemented.

5. iMessages on CarPlay is annoying since the only option is to have it read the messages out loud which can take a while. I understand the safety logic behind it though but I just don't use it.

6. Sirius/XM is painful to use with CarPlay. You basically have to do 3 button presses to get to it. I get the impression that not many people use it like they used to.

Overall, for me I feel like CarPlay is a nice add on to my Mustang BUT I'm using it sparingly rather than all the time. I don't always want to plug my phone in and as of now like and prefer Sync Navigation (minus the voice search) over CarPlay. The brightness issue is the biggest thing for me since I don't always plug in my iPhone. I think if CarPlay ever goes wireless I might use it full time though. Just my very long rambling 2 cents :)
Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Try Google Maps over CarPlay. I like it much more than Apple Maps. Has realtime traffic and all that.

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
We're huge Apple people at home and mostly cannot stand Microsoft products but Sync is one thing they got right. CarPlay is a huge pita mainly for the reasons you listed.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
We're huge Apple people at home and mostly cannot stand Microsoft products but Sync is one thing they got right. CarPlay is a huge pita mainly for the reasons you listed.
Thank you lol. At least I'm not the only one who sees issues with it.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I have not had to adjust brightness at night. The brightness set when the head lights are on vs when they are off is different. For mine I set the brightness to really low when the lights were on and it stays dim. When it’s day time it’s bright.

Sponsored

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Well just to update, I tried buying a wireless CarPlay adapter…and am returning it so back to Sync 3.

It worked great and at this point I prefer either Apple Maps or Google Maps…BUT my iPhone started getting extremely hot sometimes and would stop charging to 80%. Decided it wasn’t worth it and returned the adapter. If I was like a heavy Spotify user or something it might be different, but for now CarPlay remains something I’ll just use once in a while.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Even though I can use Apple CP, I don't. I just stream the music I'm listening to by using the BT functionality of the mobile device and SYNC - this includes streaming Spotify, etc.

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
I’ve used this wireless adapter now for over a year and it works great. I think it got wonky on me one time and all I did was unplug it and then plug it back in and its worked fine Ever since. https://carlinkitcarplay.com/
Sponsored