Thinking of buying a 17 GT premium

Pruby18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Hey guys, first post here. I currently own a 16 WRX and have the itch for something with more power and love the way the GT’s look. Any advice or input would be great. Looking at the 16-18 models.

1. How’s the reliability? Any known common issues?

2. Are they easily modable without damaging anything?

3. Auto or manual? I miss driving manual but auto is pretty damn convenient.

Found this one I might check out https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/758524901/overview?aff=share_other
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Sounds like a plan. Yes, they are easily modable for good gains. The 15-17 cars respond really well to mods.

Most of the common issues you'll see around here are with the 2018 car. Quite a few owners have had engines replaced. IME with my 2015 it's very reliable and I don't have any of the issues reported about the 2018 cars. I'd expect the same from a 2017 car. You could talk to some 2018 owners and see what they say. Personally I think a 2017 is a better value. With the added savings you can mod it to the nines.

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Hey guys, first post here. I currently own a 16 WRX and have the itch for something with more power and love the way the GT’s look. Any advice or input would be great. Looking at the 16-18 models.

1. How’s the reliability? Any known common issues?

2. Are they easily modable without damaging anything?

Found this one I might check out https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/758524901/overview?aff=share_other
I bought my 2017 june this year. Got a PP premium with recaros, 16k miles. Just hit 25k miles on it and i love it. cant say enough good things about the car. fun, practical, easy to mod and tons of info on them.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
My 2015 is a great car, never had a warranty issue. I would just suggest if choosing a manual, make sure it shifts cleanly and quietly at high rpm's. Some have problems, mine has been perfectly good. The 6 speed autos can handle 1000 hp all stock. Not as fast as the newer 10 speed auto though. I wouldn't own an auto in a Mustang...that's just me.

mattahmadi62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I bought my 16 GT Performance Pack about 6 months ago and love it. No issues whatsoever and it drives soo much better than my 2011 GT.

But... life has a way to keep you on your heels and my wife and I are expecting our first child and I just don't know if this mustang is the car for me anymore. Shameless plug, but I noticed the car you're interested in and I'm probably going to have to sell my car soon and was hoping for a similar price. Attached some pics if you're interested.

15k miles
Recaros
20" Project 6G Rims
Ford Performance Exhaust
Never tuned, never eaten in, never smoked in.

PM if interested :-)
IMG_6525.JPG
IMG_6527.jpg
IMG_6524.JPG
IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6533.jpg
IMG_6532.jpg
IMG_6524.JPG

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely shameless...nice looking, clean ride. I love my '15 magnetic

OP
OP

Pruby18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
I bought my 16 GT Performance Pack about 6 months ago and love it. No issues whatsoever and it drives soo much better than my 2011 GT.

But... life has a way to keep you on your heels and my wife and I are expecting our first child and I just don't know if this mustang is the car for me anymore. Shameless plug, but I noticed the car you're interested in and I'm probably going to have to sell my car soon and was hoping for a similar price. Attached some pics if you're interested.

15k miles
Recaros
20" Project 6G Rims
Ford Performance Exhaust
Never tuned, never eaten in, never smoked in.

PM if interested :-)
IMG_6525.JPG
IMG_6527.jpg
IMG_6524.JPG
IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6533.jpg
IMG_6532.jpg
IMG_6524.JPG
Wow that is super clean! I’ve also looked at models with the same color, very nice.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
My 16 is solid and the motor runs perfect. Gotta love a stick in these cars.

They had a 17 on the lot when I bought mine. I liked the blinkers on the hood better on the 16 so I went with that. I know that sounds dumb but the 15's - 17's are basically the same car except for that silly blinker . :like:

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic Metal
nice california special. I looked at a blue one (2017)with 16k on it listed for $28k but decided on a magnetic grey that grapevine ford had.

Let me tell you dont expect a deal as they were even unwilling to waive a dime off the cost. They will also try very hard to upsell you the extended warranty which is crap. Unfortunately I allowed myself to not walk away. They are very take it or leave it which is not my style.

Anyways, good looking car and good luck in your venture.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pruby18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Thought on manual vs auto? Heard the manual isn’t too friendly with adding more power. Also, how is the rear seating? Got two shepherds that might not enjoy the ride lol.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rear seating you'll have to see for yourself. I own shepherds myself, but they go in the truck. Leg room is terrible back there, but dog's feet don't go to the floor pan. Might be ok with the rear seats folded down exposing the trunk, but shepherds are big. Upgrading the manual may not be necessary. I'd worry more with a power adder about the clutch, half shafts, OPG's, crank sprockets to name a few.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Thought on manual vs auto? Heard the manual isn’t too friendly with adding more power. Also, how is the rear seating? Got two shepherds that might not enjoy the ride lol.
Only going to the vet. Id bet they'd squeeze into a tuna can just to be with you.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Whole different world you’d be stepping into. I suggest you drive the pee pee out of a GT on your test drive to get the full comparison. Big difference going from boosted AWD with power everywhere to high revving NA. The GT is definitely faster, just comes on way different.

I’m definitely partial to a stick car.

OP
OP

Pruby18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
I’ve also got bad knees so auto might be best for me. How’s the ride quality? One of my main gripes on the WRX is the stiff bumpy ride... and omg the rattles everywhere.
Sponsored