Thinking of adding a small powered sub

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang V6 fastback
I can mostly live with the sound from my base stereo. But there is literally NO thump ever. (I'm comparing to my previous factory systems, a Shaker in my Pony Package 2012, and a Shaker 500 in my 2000.)

So I'm thinking of throwing a small powered sub in the trunk. Something like this new Cerwin Vega:

http://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/all...io/all-mobile-subwoofers/item/228-vpas10.html

How difficult is this to install myself? I am familiar with wire, soldering, etc. but have never done any car audio. I'd like to avoid taking the rear deck of the car apart. I'm thinking of using the high-level inputs on the sub amp, to simplify wiring. Can I get to the rear speaker wires and a 12V wire from inside the trunk?
Sponsored

OP
OP
filmamigo

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Those Stealthboxes are nice, but a bit pricey. They look like they also have a separate amp.

Has anyone put a low-end integrated amp/sub in their trunk?

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I am interested in this too. Is it true the non-sub cars have the sub wiring in place? If so, wouldn't there be an aftermarket wiring harness to connect power and inputs to an aftermarket self-powered sub? I just want a little extra bass.

Tristar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Hard Question

I don't think your going to find that plug and even getting an answer on if its there is very questionable. I have searched on various forums and didn't see any one who actually knew yet. I need to do the same thing, I am ok with base audio if I can just add a small descent sounding sub. I was looking at this one. Good reviews most places and very small.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockville-R...806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b07b1d0ee

Flaps / Chris

I am interested in this too. Is it true the non-sub cars have the sub wiring in place? If so, wouldn't there be an aftermarket wiring harness to connect power and inputs to an aftermarket self-powered sub? I just want a little extra bass.

Sponsored

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Triple Yellow
I installed a Rockford Fosgate P300 powered sub. It added the bass I wanted. The nonsub vehicles do not have the sub wiring in place. You have to splice into the wires for the rear deck speakers that are located on the roof of the trunk. I have a write up of the install and the wiring harness on my build page. Here's the link if interested.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17806

OP
OP
filmamigo

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Edwin! Just what I was looking for.

Thanks everybody for the sub info. I'll be reading lots of reviews.

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane

Sponsored

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Triple Yellow
I'm curious to know how well this thing performs. Where would one choose to mount this in our S550? Under the passenger seat? I imagine it wouldn't put out enough power to throw it in the trunk with great results.
I know nothing will fit under the power seats thanks to the motor under there and the wires coming up through the carpet. But depending how wide this thing is, I wonder if you could put some Velcro strips on the underside of this and then mount it vertically under the rear seats?

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
I know nothing will fit under the power seats thanks to the motor under there and the wires coming up through the carpet. But depending how wide this thing is, I wonder if you could put some Velcro strips on the underside of this and then mount it vertically under the rear seats?
I did some more searching on Crutchfield and I'm actually leaning a little bit more towards the Kicker Hideaway system. I have yet to check my car to see if it'll fit, but I have Recaros so fingers crossed!

Crutchfield has a 60-day return policy so what's the worst that can happen?!.. (knock on wood)

I've done the whole (3) 12" XXXX-zilla-watts back in my teens and frankly, just want a simple clean sound with some deep tones. With that being said, nothing hits harder than a JL W7 12" with a JL 1000w single ch. :hail::eyebulge:
Sponsored