Sponsored

Thinking About Getting Back Into Mustangs...

TurboTony84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
13Durango R/T, 20Mustang Ecoboost- Possibly
I'm eyeing a 2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost. Browsing around the forum to get a better idea of what I'm getting into. Got some questions like anyone else would about THIS particular Mustang. I drive a 2013 Dodge Durango R/T 5.7 Hemi, which i LOVE, but been wanting to get back into a Pony car for quite some time. Used to be on Mustang Forums a long time ago when I still had my 2 Fox bodies. An 88 GT and a 93 GT. Prior to those i had an 86 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe which was SoOoOoO much fun to drive. Having a 6G GT Stang is nice, but I've been really liking the Ecoboost since it came out. So enough rambling, now for my questions.
The 2.3 Ecoboost engine I hear Is Not the same as the old school 2.3T. Is that correct? Is it worth getting the Ecoboost instead of the 5.0 GT? What Mods are available to the Ecoboost? (Researched some, but I'm sure theirs allot more). Here's one that i was interested in. Used 2020 Ford Mustang in Woodbridge, VA | CarMax
Sponsored

Park

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 20 Mustang EB and 21 Bronco Sport
I just recently sold my 2020 EB that I used for 3 1/2 years on a 130 mile daily commute. I put 78K on it with one problem when it had 4K on it , differential clutch plates had to be replaced. The commute was 95 % highway and I was getting 30 - 35 MPG at 80 - 85 MPH. I can’t say anything bad about the car.
I’m a member of a EB forum and it seems like most (if not all) of the engine mods caused problems.
I kept the 21 GT premium and my new commute is a a round trip of 15 miles !
Good luck to you !

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
... it seems like most (if not all) of the engine mods caused problems...
An excellent observation! The car was engineered by professional teams to serve its purpose optimally. Experimenting to alter that can be a fool's errand. Satisfy your urge to mod with just cosmetic "improvements", or get a beater to play with.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Its a pretty quick car stock and you can do minor things like add an intercooler and have a blast. Issue is its easy to keep adding stuff and pushing the limit.

But not hard to make these cars a high to mid 13 second car and get 29 mpg on the hwy.
I have a 2021 Convertible I bought used and have no regrets. Bought an intercooler and have a cobb access port with the basic tune and its a blast to drive

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
I went from a Corvette over to a ecoboost mustang and I don't regret it.

It was a C5. Since your coming from an Durango, you'll experience similar thoughts I did. When swapping over, you'll lose out on the V8 sound, but if your Okay with that then everything else is OK.

If you like the ecoboost, and are sticking with the coupe variant look at a HP variant. They have more goodies for the dough. It's not that I couldn't afford the GT, it's just I didn't want to pay $10k more than this costed out the door as well as reoccurring costs. The insurance per month is much lower, and I get about 25 mpgs on stage 2 tune with upgraded intercooler.

With Ecoboosts there is possibilites you'll have problems with the motor or transmission, but that's expected from all types of cars nowadays as they don't build them like they used to. I just ticked over 50k in my Ecoboost Premium and haven't any problems. I've done the typical preventative maintenance, spark plugs, 93 oct, full-syn oil changes, Fuel Pressure Sensor (known to go bad).

I'd say 90% of the mods that work on a GT S550 will work on the ecoboost. So you're modding list is never ending.

The typical Ecoboost owner upgrades their Intercooler with CVF, Cobb or Mishimoto. They usually flash Stage 1 Cobb OTS then move over to PD-Tuning for more catered tuning to produce higher numbers. There is transmission tuning as well. Explore other forums for these.

So far, I've upgraded from the dinky Ecoboost Premium/GT Premium wheels to 19x8.5 wheels all the way around, upgraded the intercooler, Flashed Stage 2, and done preventative things.

It really packs a punch. I love it. Oh and.. it's really inexpensive for a modern sports car with modern luxury (Carplay/AA, Heated Seats, Steering Etc.)
Sponsored