Sponsored

Things Are a Freaking Mess (Millennial Viewpoint) [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS & INSULTING BEHAVIOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
New PayPal rule: The company can take $2,500 from your account for sharing misinformation (UPDATE) (msn.com)

Hello; I do not know what to make of this story. I do not and have never used paypal so do not know how it works.
Not clear to me how they have access to your money and how they can levy a fine. I was under the impression paypal was some sort of payment security service. I really do not know how they make a profit. This sounds as tho they can take from your credit card or something such as that???
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
New PayPal rule: The company can take $2,500 from your account for sharing misinformation (UPDATE) (msn.com)

Hello; I do not know what to make of this story. I do not and have never used paypal so do not know how it works.
Not clear to me how they have access to your money and how they can levy a fine. I was under the impression paypal was some sort of payment security service. I really do not know how they make a profit. This sounds as tho they can take from your credit card or something such as that???
If you have a linked bank account that gives them the ability to move money either way. Likewise, if you have a CC in your profile, they can charge it. Of course, having the ability does not make it legal to do anything you did not agree to. But just as of course, you had to agree to that when you created your account or was later implemented in a change of terms you were notified of.

Pretty much the same for any person/company that you allow to deposit or withdrawal for things like automatic bill pay or deposit. Virtually every agreement I've seen has clauses that say if they can deposit money, they can also withdraw it under certain situations.

Back in the 70's I had a salaried job and wanted automatic deposit of my pay. But the form to set that up forced you to agree to them withdrawing any amount at any time if they think they deposited too much. Key word "think". Logic tells me that anyone who might deposit too much might just as easily think they deposited too much and withdraw money. Not wanting to deal with such a screwup and the cascading problems that could cause, I instead signed up for a set amount deposit for each paycheck because that agreement did not authorize them to withdraw anything under any circumstance. So, all but a token amount of my pay was automatically deposited, and I received a paper check every 2 weeks or twice a month (don't recall which) for around $10 and stuck those in a drawer and deposited those once a year.

Side effect was ability to scare or impress people depending on how I dropped that I hadn't cashed any of my paychecks for a year. Also got some satisfaction from being told the employer had to retain the account those checks were written on after they had switched banks because my checks were the only ones not cashed. LoL

But not long after, I simply created one or more account to use with any entity that demands ability to withdraw. Pay checks, bill pay systems, etc. now all point to one of those.

So, good luck to PayPal, the IRS, SS, etc. trying to make a surprise withdrawal from an account that never has anything in it for more than a few hours.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't get it. PayPal isn't a messaging or social media site. You don't post information there; you use it just to send and receive money. So, what kind of misinformation are they concerned about? Are they planning to scan the internet, and if, say, you post something untrue on Facebook, they will track you down, find out which PayPal account is yours, and take money from it as a punishment?
If I post a blatant lie on this site, e.g. that my Mustang makes 150 miles to the gallon, they will search for someone called Vlad Soare among their customers, and if they find one they'll take his money? That's absurd.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
If you have a linked bank account that gives them the ability to move money either way. Likewise, if you have a CC in your profile, they can charge it. Of course, having the ability does not make it legal to do anything you did not agree to. But just as of course, you had to agree to that when you created your account or was later implemented in a change of terms you were notified of.

Pretty much the same for any person/company that you allow to deposit or withdrawal for things like automatic bill pay or deposit. Virtually every agreement I've seen has clauses that say if they can deposit money, they can also withdraw it under certain situations.

Back in the 70's I had a salaried job and wanted automatic deposit of my pay. But the form to set that up forced you to agree to them withdrawing any amount at any time if they think they deposited too much. Key word "think". Logic tells me that anyone who might deposit too much might just as easily think they deposited too much and withdraw money. Not wanting to deal with such a screwup and the cascading problems that could cause, I instead signed up for a set amount deposit for each paycheck because that agreement did not authorize them to withdraw anything under any circumstance. So, all but a token amount of my pay was automatically deposited, and I received a paper check every 2 weeks or twice a month (don't recall which) for around $10 and stuck those in a drawer and deposited those once a year.

Side effect was ability to scare or impress people depending on how I dropped that I hadn't cashed any of my paychecks for a year. Also got some satisfaction from being told the employer had to retain the account those checks were written on after they had switched banks because my checks were the only ones not cashed. LoL

But not long after, I simply created one or more account to use with any entity that demands ability to withdraw. Pay checks, bill pay systems, etc. now all point to one of those.

So, good luck to PayPal, the IRS, SS, etc. trying to make a surprise withdrawal from an account that never has anything in it for more than a few hours.
Hello; Thanks for the info. I am old and old school about money. I have not yet used a credit card online. I also do not like the idea of direct withdraws on a bank account.

I go to a Wal-mart and put money on a gift card. Then shop online at their website for things i cannot find locally.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I don't get it. PayPal isn't a messaging or social media site. You don't post information there; you use it just to send and receive money. So, what kind of misinformation are they concerned about? Are they planning to scan the internet, and if, say, you post something untrue on Facebook, they will track you down, find out which PayPal account is yours, and take money from it as a punishment?
If I post a blatant lie on this site, e.g. that my Mustang makes 150 miles to the gallon, they will search for someone called Vlad Soare among their customers, and if they find one they'll take his money? That's absurd.
Hello; Yes the idea is absurd. Like you i thought it was some sort of go-between for security of transactions only. That way we do not have to give some stranger our credit card number.

I have been struck by the "misinformation" scheme on this very site. i no longer have privilege to post in the Science is cancelled thread. Thing is the stances i took are proving to have been correct "in the fullness of time". Even so I am still blocked while being largely correct about issues and those who stuck to the script and were backing the wrong horse continue. This sort of thing entered my mind when i read the pay-pal story.
I get that imbedded in the pay-pal story is the claim they will change the questionable policy, but had not at the time the story was written. Pay-pal may have changed their tune by now if enough backlash happens.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Biden admin keeps delaying oil and gas permitting due to math error (msn.com)

Hello; Ignore the bits of political comment in the story. At least I do not post the report for such reasons.

The point to me is that off shore production has been delayed since last April at the very least. I get we are not to get into the reasons for the delays, so will focus on the result. The result being the companies cannot get done the preliminary steps done or even started for months now. At a time when supply is needed these delays do not help.
Of course, even with more supply a next bottleneck will be a reduction in refining capacity. Seems some small refineries have not gone back online since the pandemic shutdown.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Climate protestors who glued themselves to Volkswagen's floor are left in the dark (msn.com)

Hello; Interesting twists in this story. Two things stood out to me. First is that the protesters were left glued to the floor and everyone left and turned off the lights. Right on. Might be the way to do this sort of thing when a glued protestor does not present a risk to others. I get why the authorities had to remove the protestors who glued themselves to a road during the Tour de France. Might have caused a bike rider to wreck.

Second is that VW sells more EV's (by the article) than other European car companies. Does not make sense in a way.

Let me sneak in one more thing. The protestors complained that VW did not provide them piss pots or outside food and left them in the cold. How did their comfort become VW's problem? VW did not want them to glue themselves to the floor in the first place.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
No doubt the goo goo's here are already all aquiver about the potential to do the same here.
Hello; you are correct. After i found the above two other stories showed up. One is about shutting down a coal plant in Texas early. They appear to want to get as much shut down as they can now while they still have some political backup.
The other was about how the new restyled Prius is being slamed because it is still a hybrid and not a full EV.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
The other was about how the new restyled Prius is being slamed because it is still a hybrid and not a full EV.
I remember the days when Prius's were proudly driven by morally superior individuals. Like Vegans and Cross Fitters, they couldn't wait to tell you... They must feel very silly now

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I remember the days when Prius's were proudly driven by morally superior individuals. Like Vegans and Cross Fitters, they couldn't wait to tell you... They must feel very silly now
They certainly don't. In order to feel silly you must have a bit of brain and common sense to begin with.
Today they are proudly driving Teslas and feeling morally superior.
These are the same people that for the past two years have felt morally superior for wearing muzzles.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
They certainly don't. In order to feel silly you must have a bit of brain and common sense to begin with.
Today they are proudly driving Teslas and feeling morally superior.
These are the same people that for the past two years have felt morally superior for wearing muzzles.
Hello; Saw a small bit of "I am science" doing a final news conference yesterday. Not sure if the muzzle came up in that particular bit but saw where he is still promoting them.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.