Sponsored

The torture test

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I decided to take the car to the drag strip a couple of months ago (a first for me and the car) for a torture test. I figured if it can't handle 1/4 mile runs on a warm day, then it won't last a track day. Ambient temperature was in the upper 90's, ran 8 runs back to back (except for a break in the middle to get food from a food truck), and the charge temp was almost 150 degrees at the starting line because I was running the A/C between runs (I even forgot to turn it off for a run, didn't really feel any difference). I think the DA was over 4K.

I was on street tires (285/40/19 Cont ExtremeContact Sport) and it was spinning until the middle of the 3rd gear on launch before it got traction. Below shows two runs, one with the best ET and the other with the best trap speed. I haven't weighed the car, but there's about 200 lbs worth of weight reduction mods and I weigh about 200lbs, so I'll call that even. So using the weight of 3600 and trap speed of 112.58 MPH, the HP estimator shows 400.9 HP. Does it sound about right?

I dynoed the car once over a year ago on a Mustang dyno and it showed 357.6 WHP WCF. I only semi-major mods since the dyno run were swapping to catless DP (from catted 3" DP) and balance shift delete.

drag_strip.JPG
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
IDK about the ho but she has some more in her. Better launch and less spin and you should be able to hit mid 12's. You going back anytime soon? I'm hoping to make it out next month

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
IDK about the ho but she has some more in her. Better launch and less spin and you should be able to hit mid 12's. You going back anytime soon? I'm hoping to make it out next month
I'm not getting DRs for it since it'll be a track-oriented car, but I'm Cup 2's right now that spins less when I get on it. Let me know when you're going and I'll try to join you.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm not getting DRs for it since it'll be a track-oriented car, but I'm Cup 2's right now that spins less when I get on it. Let me know when you're going and I'll try to join you.
I don't blame you, have no desire for radials either. Cup 2's when did you get those? That's awesome. I'll keep you posted, keep an eye on the local section I plan on posting Soon for upcoming autox and drag events. I don't track since it's a little pricy for me, but auto x and drag racing are cheap alternatives

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Pretty good runs for a stupid hot day. Get that sixty down. And run it on a nice cool fall day. And you'll be on to something.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I don't blame you, have no desire for radials either. Cup 2's when did you get those? That's awesome. I'll keep you posted, keep an eye on the local section I plan on posting Soon for upcoming autox and drag events. I don't track since it's a little pricy for me, but auto x and drag racing are cheap alternatives
I bought a set of GT350R replica wheels off of my friend. He was using them for track days to avoid damaging the $$$ OEM wheels and he's no longer going to track his car. So I bought the wheels off of him and asked him to leave the well-worn CUP 2's on so I can test them out. I don't think I can test their limit on the street as I couldn't get the front tires to squeal even when making left turns at speed limit (~45 MPH). They spin far less when accelerating hard from the stop, slow roll, or on a turn, so it's been nice to be able to take advantage of low-end torque that tuned EBs are known for. Only drawback is that I can feel the tramlining, especially when the tires are cold (part of this may be due to 305 width). Since the sidewall's also harder, it also has an effect similar to a firmer suspension, which is a plus for me but can be a minus for folks sensitive to NVH.

I don't plan on tracking much and it'll be mainly to test the durability of the car, since continually running the car at a high speed will be the ultimate torture test.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Thanks! What kind of sixty I should be looking for on the street tires?
Prob a 1.9xx. That should be doable, you have a manual though right? Gonna be a little harder for you. Don't worry I still haven't been able to do that and I have an auto. There is definite art to launching a car properly

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Thanks! What kind of sixty I should be looking for on the street tires?
A 1.9 riding the clutch out should be doable. (Try a 1000-1, 1000-2, 1000-3) count in your head. As you ride out the clutch. Dont just mat the throttle either. Feed the throttle in at the same rate. For a solid stick shift launch.
That and a Decent drop in DA. That a cool fall day would provide. Should be worth another 2-3 10ths.
Sponsored