Sponsored

The Rag Company Gauntlet Drying Towels

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It's amazing how drying towels have progressed over the last 10 to 15 years. I'm sure everyone would remember dragging a Meguiar's synthetic chamois across their paint, ringing the thing out every 10 seconds. Waffle Weave towels came and went, plush microfibres became the new standard, then twisted loop towels reset the standards for water absorbency. It's great we have so much choice now in how we can dry our cars.

The Rag Company Gauntlet towels are a hybrid, combining a twisted loop pile for absorbency, and a plush pile for softness. Twist loop towels can have a tendency to drag or feel rough across the paint. Combining a twist loop with a more traditional plush pile is the best of both worlds, the twisted section absorbing liquid, the plush sections allow it move across the paint with smoothness.

These towels come in four sizes, 12" x 12", 15" x 24", 20" x 30" and 30" x 36".
https://theragcompany.com/collections/drying-towels/products/the-gauntlet?variant=37726064115895

Depending how you choose to dry your car will determine which size you need. For those who use a blower first to remove the bulk of the water, the 15 x 24 is ideally sized. The two largest sizes would be for those who only use a towel to dry.

For me, I love the sizing of the 15 x 24, which I use with an appropriate drying aid to finish off the drying process after blowing the car down.

IMG-0658.jpg

IMG-0545.jpg

The 30 x 30 Gauntlet I use for wheels. Again, these are just the right size to be effective, but not too big as to be dragging on the ground. There is no awkward folding with the towel for this task.

feb21164.jpg

feb21165.jpg

feb21166.jpg

IMG-0088.jpg

IMG-0212.jpg

I have been using these towels enough now to be confident in recommending them, they are my new favorite drying towel.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
LMAO I remember the synthetic chamois, new truck 99. Used it 3 times, was enough for me.

Tossed, went back to old faithful the bath towel

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Excellent writeup, thank you. Currently using a Gyeon Silk Dryer but will definitely consider for the future.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have the 15"x24". I like to spray the whole body down whilst it's wet (detail spray or spray wax), then go over quickly with a larger twisted loop to mop up most of the water, then I follow with the gauntlet.

I kinda wish I had gone for a bigger one, but that was the biggest available at the time. I'd say the 15x24 is not enough as a solo drying towel for anyone thinking of buying.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
I'm using the Rag Company's double twistress for the last month or so and I'm not super crazy about it. I find that it leaves streaks of water that require me to do several passes to entirely remove.

I have been using a natural leather chamois for years and find that it does an amazing job of removing water and it is super easy to hand wring and I don't see any issues of scratching the finish.

Are you guys using mechanical wringers?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I'm using the Rag Company's double twistress for the last month or so and I'm not super crazy about it. I find that it leaves streaks of water that require me to do several passes to entirely remove.

I have been using a natural leather chamois for years and find that it does an amazing job of removing water and it is super easy to hand wring and I don't see any issues of scratching the finish.

Are you guys using mechanical wringers?
Using microfibre towels for vehicle drying is a different approach compared to using a traditional chamois. With the use of a blower to remove 90-95% of the water, I only need the one towel to complete the drying process. Without a blower, you will most likely need two towels, one to absorb the bulk of the water and one to do a final wipe. In both cases, using a drying aid adds lubrication as well as adding more gloss to the paint.

The Double Twistress is a Twist Loop towel, and I can understand your disappointment. I have a similar towel from another company that I bought on the basis it was super-absorbent.

DSC_0110e.jpg

So while it does absorb at lot of water, I find it grabby, heavy and cumbersome to use. I can't remember the last time I used it.

This is where the hybrid nature of The Gauntlet comes into focus. The absorbency of the Twist Loop towels combined with the smoothness of a plush microfibre.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Not to rain on the parade but I will make a case for air-drying the vehicle. Some use leaf blowers which work although I've never tried the method. On a recommendation from another Forum member, I picked up a Metrovac "Air Force" Max Blaster (not to be confused with the US Air Force, <grin>) and it is a near perfect solution.

1628763059418.png

It has at least three advantages over a leaf blower:

- Warm air

- More directed air and easier to handle

- It's loud but not as noisy as a 2-stroke leaf blower.

With the combo of CR Spotless and the Max Blaster, I typically dry the car in about ten minutes.

So, I gave a whole bunch of my REALLY good drying towels (Rag Company) to my nephew and still have a couple dozen I suppose. Good towels but nothing beats "no touch."

HIGHLY-recommended.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I bought this towel just to try after reading OP's post - because why not - and it's significantly more absorbent than Meg's Waffle towels which I have lots of. Thanks for recommendation, it was good purchase.

(I always blow water off with a leaf blower but it'll never remove everything)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..but it'll never remove everything
KZ: I don't even get out a drying towel any longer. With ceramic coatings, the Max Blaster gets every drop off our vehicles and in short order.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
KZ: I don't even get out a drying towel any longer. With ceramic coatings, the Max Blaster gets every drop off our vehicles and in short order.
I believe you - none of my cars are ceramic coated though - well waxed and smooth surface I can get most off but was washing the truck yesterday which doesn't have terrible paint but it could be better.
Sponsored