robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Nice. I just bought the same lens and can't wait to take some test drives
What camera do you have? on a full frame camera, it's probably one of the best lenses available, and certainly at that price point. You'll love it.
If you've got a crop sensor camera, I hope you have a lot of room to step back!

scober

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Mustangs
What camera do you have? on a full frame camera, it's probably one of the best lenses available, and certainly at that price point. You'll love it.
If you've got a crop sensor camera, I hope you have a lot of room to step back!
I have an 6D mk1 (ff). AF with a fast lens like this 135 f2 can be tricky on older cameras such as mine.

I'm looking at upgrading but cannot decide between mirrorless or dslr. I don't use my camera for video and have a lot invested in Canon EF glass (I know canon makes an adapter).

How do you like your EOS R and what did you have before that?

Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I have an 6D mk1 (ff). AF with a fast lens like this 135 f2 can be tricky on older cameras such as mine.

I'm looking at upgrading but cannot decide between mirrorless or dslr. I don't use my camera for video and have a lot invested in Canon EF glass (I know canon makes an adapter).

How do you like your EOS R and what did you have before that?
I went from a 5DII to the EOS R. man, what a world of difference. I do a lot of video, but for stills, one thing I enjoy is that AF works with a teleconverter no matter what the effective f stop is... example, if I put my 1.4x TC on my 100-400, it turns it into a 560mm f/8 lens, and the 5DII would not autofocus. My 1DIII would, though. Nice thing about all the mirrorless cameras (including my M50) is that they will focus this combo. The dual pixel AF is SICK. amazing for video and really good for photos too. I pretty much never miss focus anymore.

I use all EF lenses, as I also have quite an investment built up over the years. It works well. Like really well.

The only weird thing is getting used to not looking through the viewfinder. I don't like seeing an electronic picture through the viewfinder, so I don't use it. All of the mirrorless cameras have articulating touch screens though, which makes getting weird camera angles a lot easier.

It takes some getting used to, but I wouldn't go back to SLR at this point.

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
Today Marks my 5 year anniversary with the Mustang. 5 years and 50k miles.
Excited to see what happens next.

49466814022_6218dacfbc_k.jpg
IMG_3128 by Benjamin Martens, on Flickr
Another Great Shot Benjamin! Equipment and settings please? Was this shot with your Sigma Art 35mm F1.4? I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM but right now I only have canon lenses but have been hearing a lot of great things about the Sigma's. Thoughts??

scober

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Mustangs
I went from a 5DII to the EOS R. man, what a world of difference. I do a lot of video, but for stills, one thing I enjoy is that AF works with a teleconverter no matter what the effective f stop is... example, if I put my 1.4x TC on my 100-400, it turns it into a 560mm f/8 lens, and the 5DII would not autofocus. My 1DIII would, though. Nice thing about all the mirrorless cameras (including my M50) is that they will focus this combo. The dual pixel AF is SICK. amazing for video and really good for photos too. I pretty much never miss focus anymore.

I use all EF lenses, as I also have quite an investment built up over the years. It works well. Like really well.

The only weird thing is getting used to not looking through the viewfinder. I don't like seeing an electronic picture through the viewfinder, so I don't use it. All of the mirrorless cameras have articulating touch screens though, which makes getting weird camera angles a lot easier.

It takes some getting used to, but I wouldn't go back to SLR at this point.

Thanks for your input. Interesting about AF with the TC. I also have a 100-400 and never considered a TC. Quality must not suffer?
Sounds like dual pixel AF is a game changer. Going shooting today with the 135 and see how AF focus works out.

The flip out screen would be nice too. We've heard the rumors and will wait to see what they release before making a final decision on a body.

robbob144 nice shots ^^^ and photoshop work

Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Thanks for your input. Interesting about AF with the TC. I also have a 100-400 and never considered a TC. Quality must not suffer?
Sounds like dual pixel AF is a game changer. Going shooting today with the 135 and see how AF focus works out.

The flip out screen would be nice too. We've heard the rumors and will wait to see what they release before making a final decision on a body.

robbob144 nice shots ^^^ and photoshop work
dual pixel AF is definitely a game changer for Canon!

the 100-400 is an insane lens if you stop down at least 2/3 of a stop. At f/8, it's as sharp as anything. If you put a teleconverter on and stop down 2/3 of a stop, it stays very sharp.

This is some video I took in my back yard the other day. I shot with the 100-400 lens + 1.4x teleconverter on the EOS R @4k resolution and produced at 1080p. Some of the shots are 100% crops from the 4k video. effectively with the teleconverter and the 4k crop, some of these shots are at 1000mm, which is pretty cool. Quality is there, I think!