The Harbor Freight Tool Review Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by CrashOverride, Jan 5, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    CrashOverride

CrashOverride Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Yeah the drill bits seem like they are cast the way they break. I know they aren't, but they are worthless.

2. OP
    OP
    CrashOverride

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I completely agree. When I was younger, I was attracted to the lifetime warranty. Now that I'm older, I'd rather have a tool that doesn't need the warranty. But, I'm kind of cheap, so I am caught in the middle and that's actually why I posted this because I think a lot of us like to find cheap stuff that is actually pretty good. I haven't actually broken a HF socket, but it might be because I tend to reach for my craftsman more often, and I break the ratchets all the time because I am guily of throwing a pipe over them for leverage. And the craftsman wratchets are way too lose for me. My buddy bought me a Link set of ratchets and they are outstanding. It's all I use now. But, that's because I use sockets and ratchets all the time.

My buddy also got me some Wera tools and they are the cat's meow as well.

But yeah, to me shopping at HF is kind of like a swap meet, you find some great stuff along with some real junk!

3. OP
    OP
    CrashOverride

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I've noticed this over the last year. I'll be honest, I kind of am mad about it. Not because the quality is better, but because I think they are making more brands to "wean" us off the coupons. Most of the new brands are seldom covered by the ubiquitous 20% off coupon. Also, I feel they actually cheapen some of their brands to give you no choice but to upgrade to the newer brand. Case in point - Pittsburg no longer has 6 point shallow sockets like they used to - not even "quinn" -- you have to get Icon.

Despite this, it is still a great tool store, but I usually do my old man grumble when I have to pay extra to buy a Bauer, or Quinn, or Hercules (etc.)

4. IPOGT

IPOGT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang FP/GT 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400
    0   0   0
    You got it exactly right!!!!