The GT Spare Wheel /Tyre Solution- "The Gnome Spare"

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
Tried this out today and it worked OK, (connector, 2 nuts and rod were $5 from Buttsworth at South Windsor.)

Height of the connector will need adjustment if you have any packing under the wheel. Leave plenty of thread below the wheel well retaining bracket so you can raise the rod and connector if required.

Also had to offset the jack position so the threaded rod is clear of the jack components.

I cut the fins off the plastic retainer to keep the wheel cover as low as possible, but still able to unscrew without any trouble.

Photos of the process below. (sorry for the poor quality, taken on a cheap Nokia mobile.)
Like it.

Are you local to Windsor, I am just around the corner from Buttsworth?
See a lot of new stangs around here may have passed you.
Sponsored

ian b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
GT Manual Deep Impact Blue
Beaumont Hills (nr Rouse Hill)

Blue plates EVRTON

Shevs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT Manual Race Red
Sourced my Jacking kit for $75 from a wrecker this afternoon.

Fitted up the wheel to the front and rear to make sure all was hunky dory... all a-ok. Car is not lowered, and there was heaps of clearance between the jack and the jacking point. Maybe 40-50mm as an estimate, so don't think I need to add 'riser blocks' in case of a flat... May still put something in for piece of mind.

What I did find when trying to pack the wheel in was that the 'spokes' on the outside of the foam holder go under the sidewall of the tyre and therefore raise the wheel in the wheel well. Cutting them off helps lower the spare as much as possible. The carpet is still raised, but the Ford boot mat helps to mask this.

Photos attached to hopefully help others :thumbsup:
20161021_174530.jpg
20161021_182918.jpg
20161021_183031.jpg
20161021_183936.jpg

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
Yes did the same to get the wheel as low as possible but put some thin plastic sheeting underneath to stop marks appearing in the wheel well.

Last edited:

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Shevs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
Sourced my Jacking kit for $75 from a wrecker this afternoon.

Fitted up the wheel to the front and rear to make sure all was hunky dory... all a-ok. Car is not lowered, and there was heaps of clearance between the jack and the jacking point. Maybe 40-50mm as an estimate, so don't think I need to add 'riser blocks' in case of a flat... May still put something in for piece of mind.

What I did find when trying to pack the wheel in was that the 'spokes' on the outside of the foam holder go under the sidewall of the tyre and therefore raise the wheel in the wheel well. Cutting them off helps lower the spare as much as possible. The carpet is still raised, but the Ford boot mat helps to mask this.

Photos attached to hopefully help others :thumbsup:
I think the idea is that you get the foam base with the spokes on it, you trim them back just enough so that they don't add any height to the wheel, but they stop the foam and kit from moving around.

Shevs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I think the idea is that you get the foam base with the spokes on it, you trim them back just enough so that they don't add any height to the wheel, but they stop the foam and kit from moving around.
The foam kit sits in there very snugly underneath the wheel, it doesn't move around at all.

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
I emailed ozwreck.com.au

They are in Dandenong :thumbsup:
Thanks for the heads up on this - picked up my jack from them this afternoon.

:cheers:

Sponsored

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
The foam kit sits in there very snugly underneath the wheel, it doesn't move around at all.
[MENTION=25020]Shevs550[/MENTION] did you change out the recovery bolt with the original one from the Mustang? I can see the Faclon one in the pictures and it has a different thread.

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Yes swap out the bolt for the Mustang one

Shevs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=25020]Shevs550[/MENTION] did you change out the recovery bolt with the original one from the Mustang? I can see the Faclon one in the pictures and it has a different thread.
No I haven't done that, but thanks for the heads up. I will change it out next chance I get.

Let's hope I will never need to use it!

Malibu1

Malibu
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Any ideas what to do with the repair kit once replaced with the Gnome spare? It's already getting n my way!

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Any ideas what to do with the repair kit once replaced with the Gnome spare? It's already getting n my way!
I have put that with other things such as the tyre wrench and bits and pieces into a bag which I keep in the boot.
Sponsored