Sponsored

The Dust Show

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
This is why my lazy ass decided to go with Ingot this time around. Last two Mustangs I had were black, and my current Civic is a dark blue. I'm done with weekly washings :)
Sponsored

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
I swear that some of the body panels hold a static charge that attracts dust. Look at these photos how the dust sticks more to different body panels than others.
I had a car that did this once. Try stealing a dryer sheet from your laundry room and lightly run it over a test area (don't rub, just gently drag it across the paintwork). If it helps that test area, do it for the rest of the car.

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
I had a car that did this once. Try stealing a dryer sheet from your laundry room and lightly run it over a test area (don't rub, just gently drag it across the paintwork). If it helps that test area, do it for the rest of the car.
I'm all out lol.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
I swear that some of the body panels hold a static charge that attracts dust. Look at these photos how the dust sticks more to different body panels than others.
Thanks for the pics. It helped me confirm my color choice since I think Guard still looks good dirty. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
I love the look of dark colors especially Black. I've had dark colors on my cars in the past and they are a pain to keep detailed. The best you every see it is when it's in the showroom.

You guy's had to know this going in that it would be more difficult to keep that just washed and waxed look. Maybe you didn't. You were just so in love with the color that you were blinded.

The primary reason I chose Ingot Silver is because, IMO it showed off the lines, curves, and facets better than any of the other colors. It also has the added benefit of hiding dust.

After washing my GT/PP and driving it around on the weekends, the only place that I see dust collection are the Black wheels and the Black panel on my trunk deck lid. My plan is to buy some silver or gun metal type color after market wheels and I'm thing about have the Black plastic panel on the back painted.

I can tell you this...when an object spins at high speed, it creates static charge. Thats just one of the reason that the break dust sticks so good to the front wheels, in addition to the out gasing of the pads being hot. (Cling!)

As far as the back end of the car, thats the arrow dynamic air flow dead zone. The back ends a big drag shoot. (Cling!)

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
2 words...california duster
California car dusters is the worst thing to use on your car's finish. A Microfiber towel and some quick detailer or waterless wash is better for your finish for light dust.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
California car dusters is the worst thing to use on your car's finish. A Microfiber towel and some quick detailer or waterless wash is better for your finish for light dust.
If you're using a duster on something as filthy as the Guard car pictured in this thread, you are correct. Dusters are intended for no more than dust you might collect with the car indoors for a few days or after a normal drive.

I've never had an issue with properly using a car duster in over 20 years, even on a black car. Right tool for the right job....

Horse Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicorn
It looks like the dust in your area has a high iron content making the attraction to the plastic really pronounced. Do you notice this with other cars? Maybe the way these body panels are mounted is insulating the static charge of the plastic parts from the rest of the car. I wonder if a ground could be rigged up from inside one of the panels to the frame...

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
If you're using a duster on something as filthy as the Guard car pictured in this thread, you are correct. Dusters are intended for no more than dust you might collect with the car indoors for a few days or after a normal drive.

I've never had an issue with properly using a car duster in over 20 years, even on a black car. Right tool for the right job....
Driving on dirt roads causes more dust than the CD is intended for, that's for sure. That dirty car requires a full wash down, and I feel sorry for it.:paddle:

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
It looks like the dust in your area has a high iron content making the attraction to the plastic really pronounced. Do you notice this with other cars? Maybe the way these body panels are mounted is insulating the static charge of the plastic parts from the rest of the car. I wonder if a ground could be rigged up from inside one of the panels to the frame...
None of my other cars did this. Can you ground plastic like metals? I haven't pulled the back bumper, but the front has lots of screws going into the metal. It doesn't attract dust like the back.

Horse Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicorn
None of my other cars did this. Can you ground plastic like metals? I haven't pulled the back bumper, but the front has lots of screws going into the metal. It doesn't attract dust like the back.
I never tried it but you could test it by using electrical tape to attach bare copper ground wire to the inside of the panel and then running it to a good ground point on the uni-body. I would attach the wire in a "radiator" pattern to increase surface space contact and the likelihood of discharge.

EDIT: A less intrusive test would be to run a small ground from the edge of the outer panel in an inconspicuous spot (maybe along the inside bottom lip) to the uni-body to see if that has any effect.

Last edited:

broncobuff

broncobuff
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
Mustang RR V6 vert, 2006 Frontier 4X4, 2014 Maxima
Maggie (Race Red V6) always collects dust on the rear black panel after a drive. Colorado is dry and you just can't avoid it my other two vehicles are white and silver but I always wanted a RED Mustang convertible so I just rinse her of every few days. Are microfiber towels safe for the finish? Do you use them wet or dry? :confused: :)
Sponsored