Sponsored

The distant future of ecoboost modding ?

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
So as most of us know, old mustangs rarely die, they often get saved from scrapyards and are rebuilt, new engines swapped in, or concours rebuilds etc.

Considering the S550's much more complicated electronic systems and relatively potent stock engines, what do you think will be the kind of mods people will be doing to old Ecoboost S550s once they are say a decade or two old and need engine or transmission replacements ?

I dont think we will see many people swapping new stock engines into these cars ( ecoboost or V8 ), since in all likely hood the engines will cost more than the value of the cars by then. The effort needed to get the electronics working again properly will also be a major problem if you use engines not meant for the exact model you have ( putting a V8 into an ecoboost for example isnt cheap nor easy, i expect say put engines from other manufacturers to be even more difficult ).

With emissions tightening up, i suspect a possible route will be DIY electric conversion kits.
Or do you think for the first time most mustangs of this generation will be scrapped because its both cost and skill prohibitive to get them on the road again ?
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Electric drive Trane swap most likely, granted I'm talking 20 yrs in the future but I bet that will be the new norm.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Mr. Fusion or, anti-matter warp core.

Am I thinking too distant future?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Mr. Fusion or, anti-matter warp core.

Am I thinking too distant future?
Technically your thinking of the past in regards to me fusion lol

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i think the main thing to think about is that its not really the younger generation saving cars from scrapyards to rebuild them its the older guys. dont get me wrong there is still part of the younger generation that mods and builds but it doesnt seem to be the norm. my generation seems to view cars as purely transportation. its the guys that grew up with their dads in the garage that still do any kind of wrenching. im 28 and literally the only one out of my friends that has touched my car let alone mod it. so my vote goes toward scrapping vs rebuilding. there will be some but id be surprised

OP
OP
StealthStang

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah i hear you, Im noticing the same thing. When i was a kid the guys that were my age now where all gear heads. Ive noticed with the younger guys now they dont really seem to care much about cars and when they do buy new cars its mostly about interior gadgets. Can't blame them too much though since cars are much more expensive now even relatively speaking.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
So as most of us know, old mustangs rarely die, they often get saved from scrapyards and are rebuilt, new engines swapped in, or concours rebuilds etc.

Considering the S550's much more complicated electronic systems and relatively potent stock engines, what do you think will be the kind of mods people will be doing to old Ecoboost S550s once they are say a decade or two old and need engine or transmission replacements ?

I dont think we will see many people swapping new stock engines into these cars ( ecoboost or V8 ), since in all likely hood the engines will cost more than the value of the cars by then. The effort needed to get the electronics working again properly will also be a major problem if you use engines not meant for the exact model you have ( putting a V8 into an ecoboost for example isnt cheap nor easy, i expect say put engines from other manufacturers to be even more difficult ).

With emissions tightening up, i suspect a possible route will be DIY electric conversion kits.
Or do you think for the first time most mustangs of this generation will be scrapped because its both cost and skill prohibitive to get them on the road again ?
Believe it or not, this same type of question was asked in the early 1980’s when the old Lima Ford 2.3 turbos appeared in SVO’s, GT Turbos, and Turbo coupes. The aftermarket stepped in seeing the enthusiasts demand for support and kept the motor relevant, today those motors have stand alone ECU, CAS, COP, available as well as a multitude of engine parts. I expect the 2.3 eco will have the same support.
My 86 SVO is a 2.3 turbo and makes 575.4 hp to the wheels, others are making nearly 200 hp per a cylinder.
617FB0AC-8CDC-4CF2-BB62-853964A3B6A7.jpeg

OP
OP
StealthStang

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Believe it or not, this same type of question was asked in the early 1980’s when the old Lima Ford 2.3 turbos appeared in SVO’s, GT Turbos, and Turbo coupes. The aftermarket stepped in seeing the enthusiasts demand for support and kept the motor relevant, today those motors have stand alone ECU, CAS, COP, available as well as a multitude of engine parts. I expect the 2.3 eco will have the same support.
My 86 SVO is a 2.3 turbo and makes 575.4 hp to the wheels, others are making nearly 200 hp per a cylinder
Damn your SVO is great, love those mods. No joke id take that over a foxbody GT anyday, like id take it over two GTs.

Anyway, as far as the future goes, it would be cool is things go that way though i think things are a bit different now since the SVO was a higher end model, whereas the Ecoboost is just about entry level.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn your SVO is great, love those mods. No joke id take that over a foxbody GT anyday, like id take it over two GTs.

Anyway, as far as the future goes, it would be cool is things go that way though i think things are a bit different now since the SVO was a higher end model, whereas the Ecoboost is just about entry level.
It wasn’t just the SVO, it was/is the potential of the motor. The turbo motor also came in Thunderbirds, mustang turbo GT’s, and a few others. What made them also jump in popularity was the dirt track guys demand, which is also happening with 2.3 eco. The aftermarket has already stepped up for this application.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any videos of your 575 ho SVO?
No sir, I made that power at 28 psi, got greedy shortly there after and raised the boost to 36....took out the head gasket, transmission and rear end, lol! Everything is being upgraded and should be back together by spring, heading for the track.
Sponsored