Sponsored

Tennessee/Middle TN

Noize

Ricer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Evolution X
Pricing GT350s, and realizing I can't hope for one without ADM, I decided to give the GT serious consideration.

Today, I was able to take a nice long drive in a 2016 GT Premium/Performance that had ~2500 miles on it. I was with a good friend of mine who is a total Mustang wizard and avid autoxer to boot, and we got to take it on some backroads. Not knowing the area or the car, I didn't beat the tar out of it, but I got a great feel for it, and a ton of data, which is exactly what I was looking for. Here's some random positive things, in no particular order:

Price-wise, the GT is right. You can get a good deal on one, and you can option it the way you want. It's also clearly better than the competition. To me, even if the Camaro is a bit better handling, it is in no way worth it, because the SS has a horribly confining interior and is nearly impossible to see out of. The obese Challenger is a wallowing barge, and not even on my radar.

I think the S550 is the best looking Mustang in ~50 years. From the outside, I like every angle and side.

The clutch and shifter are light and work so well in harmony, a testament to good engineering. I remember the last stock Terminator I drove had a horribly heavy pedal and a dumb shifter in comparison.

The Coyote is fantastic. Some people complain it's too quiet stock. I disagree, and think it sounds really good and isn't obnoxious in the least, maybe a testament to the fact I am getting old. I've also heard complaints of torque, but I don't side with that lot either. It has good usable torque, and is very rewarding to rev, which is how a performance car should be. The engine is also massively overbuilt, which brings on my next point.

The aftermarket potential is crazy, and parts are super affordable.

The car drives really nice, it absorbs bumps well and bad roads don't upset the chassis like the older solid axle cars.

There were only a couple things I didn't like about it:

The first offender to me was the seating position. Although the non-Recaro seats are plenty comfortable, they sit _so_dang_high, even adjusted all the way down! Unforgivably so, in my option, and being forced to sit like Igor every time I drive would be a deal breaker. I couldn't even imagine wearing a helmet with them. A non-electric seat option is crucial, IMO. Maybe the Recaros are better; they'd have to be at least two inches lower.

From weighing these, I knew it before, but these cars are HUGE, and they feel it. The expanse of hood is pretty crazy. The good chassis and suspension tuning hide this a fair amount, but body motion is pretty high in acceleration, braking, and turns. That contributes to an overall lack of agility from behind the wheel, and a somewhat lazy turn in. I'm sure a good set of coilovers, sway bars front & rear, and wider + stickier rubber up front would go a long way toward curing this. But I also think some of it is that the steering ratio is way too slow. The most important part of a car to me is handling. So at the end of the day, I feel a trade to a GT would be a definite step down in performance. It would take a lot of aftermarket investment to get the car where I want it. That said, the journey of researching and choosing modifications is one of the most fun parts about being a car guy, but I think I could spend close to GT350 money in the aftermarket and not get as cohesive a package (not to mention desirable and high resale value of one).

So it's back to square one for me, meaning I'd only want a GT350. With a little money, lots of luck, a base 2017 (since most of the track package will be baked in at a $5k extra sticker premium) with no ADM- lol yeah right- is my eventual goal. Wish me luck, and thanks for listening to my ramblings. You guys have killer fun cars!

Sponsored

Dizzle58

GTFO_0035
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT
Ultralight linear springs, G2 caliper paint, and 35% tint all around.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458428004.233547.jpg

Sent from my Oxford White 2015 GT PP, Prem

Dang man, that 35% looks dark as hell! Congrats on getting it all done....looks awesome!

Lance
Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Dizzle58

GTFO_0035
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT
Pricing GT350s, and realizing I can't hope for one without ADM, I decided to give the GT serious consideration.

Today, I was able to take a nice long drive in a 2016 GT Premium/Performance that had ~2500 miles on it. I was with a good friend of mine who is a total Mustang wizard and avid autoxer to boot, and we got to take it on some backroads. Not knowing the area or the car, I didn't beat the tar out of it, but I got a great feel for it, and a ton of data, which is exactly what I was looking for. Here's some random positive things, in no particular order:

Price-wise, the GT is right. You can get a good deal on one, and you can option it the way you want. It's also clearly better than the competition. To me, even if the Camaro is a bit better handling, it is in no way worth it, because the SS has a horribly confining interior and is nearly impossible to see out of. The obese Challenger is a wallowing barge, and not even on my radar.

I think the S550 is the best looking Mustang in ~50 years. From the outside, I like every angle and side.

The clutch and shifter are light and work so well in harmony, a testament to good engineering. I remember the last stock Terminator I drove had a horribly heavy pedal and a dumb shifter in comparison.

The Coyote is fantastic. Some people complain it's too quiet stock. I disagree, and think it sounds really good and isn't obnoxious in the least, maybe a testament to the fact I am getting old. I've also heard complaints of torque, but I don't side with that lot either. It has good usable torque, and is very rewarding to rev, which is how a performance car should be. The engine is also massively overbuilt, which brings on my next point.

The aftermarket potential is crazy, and parts are super affordable.

The car drives really nice, it absorbs bumps well and bad roads don't upset the chassis like the older solid axle cars.

There were only a couple things I didn't like about it:

The first offender to me was the seating position. Although the non-Recaro seats are plenty comfortable, they sit _so_dang_high, even adjusted all the way down! Unforgivably so, in my option, and being forced to sit like Igor every time I drive would be a deal breaker. I couldn't even imagine wearing a helmet with them. A non-electric seat option is crucial, IMO. Maybe the Recaros are better; they'd have to be at least two inches lower.

From weighing these, I knew it before, but these cars are HUGE, and they feel it. The expanse of hood is pretty crazy. The good chassis and suspension tuning hide this a fair amount, but body motion is pretty high in acceleration, braking, and turns. That contributes to an overall lack of agility from behind the wheel, and a somewhat lazy turn in. I'm sure a good set of coilovers, sway bars front & rear, and wider + stickier rubber up front would go a long way toward curing this. But I also think some of it is that the steering ratio is way too slow. The most important part of a car to me is handling. So at the end of the day, I feel a trade to a GT would be a definite step down in performance. It would take a lot of aftermarket investment to get the car where I want it. That said, the journey of researching and choosing modifications is one of the most fun parts about being a car guy, but I think I could spend close to GT350 money in the aftermarket and not get as cohesive a package (not to mention desirable and high resale value of one).

So it's back to square one for me, meaning I'd only want a GT350. With a little money, lots of luck, a base 2017 (since most of the track package will be baked in at a $5k extra sticker premium) with no ADM- lol yeah right- is my eventual goal. Wish me luck, and thanks for listening to my ramblings. You guys have killer fun cars!

Alrighty then

Lance

Sponsored

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Ok everyone, it is warming up and it is time for a mod day. I have a TON of Steeda stuff to install.....so here we go.

We tried this once before and had an ok turn out but I want to meet more of he people here. So we are gonna do this at my house in Hendersonville again. I have 3 garage bays that we can use if you have something you are wanting to do.

Let's do this! I know that is cars and coffee day but you can miss one of them so we can get to know each other better.

March 19.....lets get it! Who's in?

Lance
Did all of you get together? Haven't been on the forums much lately and missed this. Only thing I need to do if I get time this week is to change my oil. Bought everything at the Ford dealer the other day and whoa thats some expensive oil.

Dizzle58

GTFO_0035
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT
Did all of you get together? Haven't been on the forums much lately and missed this. Only thing I need to do if I get time this week is to change my oil. Bought everything at the Ford dealer the other day and whoa thats some expensive oil.

We actually didn't get together, we pushed. Was going to try this coming weekend but just realizing it is Easter weekend. Not sure if people will be available. I need to get all this stuff on before 3 weeks from now, that's when my wheels get here :)

Lance

Reactions: _M_

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / 2023 GT4
We actually didn't get together, we pushed. Was going to try this coming weekend but just realizing it is Easter weekend. Not sure if people will be available. I need to get all this stuff on before 3 weeks from now, that's when my wheels get here :)

Lance
Saturday isn't Easter though :)

I'm still down. I'm off Friday too if it boils down to it and nobody else can make it and you just need to get everything on.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I got a guy coming to my house to give me a quote on something at 10-11 and then I should be able to come help get those springs on!

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Just signed up for the April 9th-10th track days at NCM. I'll be doing both days, I Can't wait!
Pretty sure they still have Sunday available if anyone wants to only do a single day. Or it's like $430 for both days...
Sponsored