OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Last edited:
OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Looks Good.!!. But a 4-pot caliper in the back would be better!!
I know, lipstick on a pig...the Ford cast iron rear calipers are crude and aren't very appetizing. But, the requisite work in either adding an aftermarket brake proportioning valve or changing the master cylinder *and* adding a proportioning valve *and* doing who knows what to the ABS system to maintain proper front to rear bias was more effort and experimentation than i could muster for a street car that already has pretty good brakes. Even simply bolting on GT350 4-hole rear Brembos and rotors requires a massive investment in time and parts to the front brakes and hydraulics. If one could find a wrecked GT350 though...

This is a nice set-up, but our Bullitt wheels won't fit w/o spacers >> and they're still red :frown:

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
I'm putting it back together this morning, now the paint has cured. I was originally planning to remove the calipers, strip 'em and powder coat, but Brembo convinced me powdercoat wasn't prudent; the 375* heat cure might cause the caliper bodies to stress relieve and move. I instead used the same 2-part poly paint system Brembo uses, including the black logo paint and catalyzed clear. Lots more work to do it this way, but warping the front aluminum calipers out of alignment could cause lots of grief. The cast iron rear calipers could easily withstand powdercoat heat cure, but since I had to take the polyurethane path on the fronts might as well do all 4 the same. It's a solid day's work to disassemble, surgically clean, multiple coats of paint (spray adhesion promoter, cure, spray 2 coats of gray, curing between coats, stencil and spray 2 coats of black, cure, 2 coats of clear, curing between coats, ...)

The Nardo Gray will go great with the new Forgeline wheels, and I'll put the OE Bullitt front wheels to work as my winter set... I just need to find 2 more fronts to use on the rear before the snow flies again. Anyone want to swap their 9" fronts for my pair pair of 9-1/2" rear wheels :)

Pics of the results later today. Next task: fabricate a new front spoiler ,

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Looking forward to seeing your finished results...it's going to look very nice, no doubt. I am not a big fan of the red.

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward to seeing your finished results...it's going to look very nice, no doubt. I am not a big fan of the red.
I'm red-green color blind, and to my eye the calipers looked awful. My daughter and GF love the red; go figure. on my computer they look off-white, but in real life they are much darker gray. I wanted some contrast, but no matter what you do, brake calipers shouldn't be the highlight of the car. I think they will be perfect with the dark satin bronze of the Forgeline wheels.

UgKBg7fh.jpg

UWDpdxzh.jpg

Not this wheel, but this color for the centers with brushed satin outer

Satin-Bronze-800x800.jpg

Last edited:

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Perfect, wish Ford had built them that way!

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Looking at painting options... Curious what you used??

Sponsored
OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
Looking at painting options... Curious what you used??
I like Sikkens, but Glasurit and several of the Akzo-Noble systems should work fine >> 2 part polyurethane base coat and 2 part clear polyurethane top coat.

Health warning: most 2 part polys offgas TDI - toluene diisocyanate - as it cures. This is nasty, and can cause severe respiratory distress, death, blah, blah, blah. You can't filter it out with a simple charcoal mask; be careful if you haven't used 2-part polyurethane before. 2 part epoxy's might work too, but nothing beats true 2-part polyurethane for chemical resistance, heat resistance, impact resistance, flexibility, gloss, and sadly, it's not cheap. It's jet airplane paint :-)

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Thanks!

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
I've see some really nice caliper paint done with non-toxic epoxy... with a brush. I'm a sick man, and don't know when to not get so carried away :crying:

Ontheedge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019 K6383
Perfect
how it should be from the factory. :clap::thumbsup:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
It's interesting to see how folks have modified their Bullitts. The '08-09 had the same ones as the GT, but painted a grey color and used different pads. The grey was to match the wheels, I guess. Still only 2 piston brakes and so-so braking. I guess we always want something different. Red has become the color these days and I see them on the Challenger and Camaro as well as Jap cars. So, yours sets itself apart from the crowd!
Sponsored