Sponsored

Taking car to dealership... How "back to stock" should I go?

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
I got a recall notice the other day for the door latch thing. I got a notice for the same thing before, but it said it only needed to be brought in if there was a problem. This ones sounds like I'm supposed to take it in, even if there is no problem. Anyway, I think I am going to take it in and also ask them to check out the ticking sound that I've been noticing lately. But, my question it how far back to stock do I need to take the car? I'll uninstall the tune for sure. But, I don't have any intention of swapping out the intercooler. What about other stuff like the WGA and downpipe? I have the Air Raid intake tube, which I would think would be OK to leave on. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

Chris796

Ford CFO
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost
Doesn't matter if you uninstall a tune or not, as soon as they hook it up they'll know it was tuned, that coupled with the intercooler, WGA and downpipe, you've pretty much voided your powertrain warranty.

Palmtrees&2.3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic Bass
If you're going in for a recall I don't think they could just void your warranty on the spot. If your engine isn't damaged I see no reason for them to pro actively void any warranty. It's a recall, they are required to do it even if your car is a track car.

OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
If you're going in for a recall I don't think they could just void your warranty on the spot. If your engine isn't damaged I see no reason for them to pro actively void any warranty. It's a recall, they are required to do it even if your car is a track car.
I get what your saying. I'm not worried about the recal. My question was more about having them check out the ticking sound.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
My thoughts are you chose to make all of those mods, why take them off? Yes they can deny coverage because of the mods but they should. They are warranting the engine as it came stock. It you are doing all of that and are having a problem, why should they cover it if they feel those mods contributed to or caused the problem? If you change things it makes it harder to diagnose. Maybe the ticking is because of something you've done.

Sponsored

MagneticEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Definitely the tune in case they decide to flash over it. It won't impact the recall and they won't say your warranty is void, however depends on the tech as soon as he sees the mods he will probably try to blame them and charge you $100 diagnostic fee due to an non warranty covered issue, without even bother really checking it out, but that won't automatically void your warranty for future visits.

If I were you, I'd probably take off the WGA and downpipe and see if that has any effects on the ticking noise. If it persists it's probably something else and it would be hard for them to say the intercooler or intake tube to be the cause of the ticking noise.

In the end it all depends on the dealer and tech, however I don't agree with the logic that just because you installed mods that you are responsible for non mod related issues. The mods only void the warranty if they are the cause of the problem.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
This is no brainer to me, spend the couple hours to remove the dp and the wga uninstall the tune, If you are going to have them look at anything else. The ticking issue sounds to be a pretty common issue. It's not like your engine is blown and you De-mod in an attempt to get a free motor out of them.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Ill agree with the WGA. I'm assuming you have a tune+ with the actuator tune?
Be gentle if you detune and keep the actuator in place. And I believe that the presence of a non stock acuator is an immediate warranty denial if related to the issue.

OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
The ticking issue sounds to be a pretty common issue.
Yes, it does seem to be somewhat common. I've seen quite a few posts here and on FB. Those who have taken their cars to the dealership have all been told that it's a normal noise. That's part of the hesitation in taking everything off. I don't want to devote a day to removing/reinstalling a bunch of stuff only to have the dealer say "yep, sounds good" I'm leaning towards just leaving it as is and rolling tlp he dice. I'm not trying to get anything over on anyone.

The sound is definitely coming from the top end of the motor, so I highly doubt removing the DP or WGA would have any impact on it.

mtoo22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple GT
Same ticking noise here. It goes away after it runs for a few. Not really worried as it doesn't sound to be coming from an area that would signify a major issue.
Sponsored