Sponsored

Tach on the Right?!

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
My 2007 GT500 tach is on the right side. Never gave it a thought until this thread was started.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I just picked up a super clean 2005 GT. Tach is on the left. Sooo…that’s two S197 cars I have; this one on the left, my 2012 on the right, and the 350 is back to the left.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
If not centered then I think I prefer it on the left as the important portion of the dial is closer to the center of my sight line. Have not owned a car before with it on the right but feel like redline would be too far right and not in direct line of sight.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
If not centered then I think I prefer it on the left as the important portion of the dial is closer to the center of my sight line. Have not owned a car before with it on the right but feel like redline would be too far right and not in direct line of sight.
I agree. Tach on Right puts it out of the line of sight in the upper rev range. I love the 5 Gauge setup on my 1976 Porsche. Big Tach in the Center, Speedo to the Right of Center, and Critical Temp and Oil Temp/Pressure Gauges to the left, with clock and fuel farthest out. ALL Performance Cars should be this way, but Tach on left makes most sense.

That said, is a moot point for S550's with the Digital Cluster. Between the shift light and ability to run the Tach in a flat graphic across the top of the Cluster, the Tach takes Center Stage. You can also set the cluster to give a large digital number rev counter in the center of the Tach.

Given a choice between left and right though, I would go left for the Tach.

Sponsored

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I prefer the left and, with one exception, the cars I've owned with tachs had it on the left.

Left:
1967 MGB
1985 Mustang GT
1987 Tempo
2008 Infiniti G35
2012 Nissan Frontier
2021 Mustang

Right:
1999 Saturn SW2

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I agree. Tach on Right puts it out of the line of sight in the upper rev range. I love the 5 Gauge setup on my 1976 Porsche. Big Tach in the Center, Speedo to the Right of Center, and Critical Temp and Oil Temp/Pressure Gauges to the left, with clock and fuel farthest out. ALL Performance Cars should be this way, but Tach on left makes most sense.

That said, is a moot point for S550's with the Digital Cluster. Between the shift light and ability to run the Tach in a flat graphic across the top of the Cluster, the Tach takes Center Stage. You can also set the cluster to give a large digital number rev counter in the center of the Tach.

Given a choice between left and right though, I would go left for the Tach.
100%. It was reference to the classic Porsche layout I meant as well.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Disagree. Tach belongs on the right. I knew the answer anyways, but paid attention driving home today. If not 9 & 3 for the curvy stuff, I'm a 11-12 o'clock kinda guy. In that position, my arm completely covers the tach (on the left). Aside from that, even when I move my hands to view the whole dash, my line of sight/focus point is more towards and across the center of the hood. With the tach on the right, it's a simple, automatic motor skill, glance straight down to the tach; the needle location is irrelevant. On the left, it takes a contorted effort to look down and outboard of my natural field of view to find/view the tach. Don't get me wrong, 1st world problems...I get it. But tach goes on the right, all day, every day.

My main thing however is not our differences in personal opinion, but why the back and fourth, even within the same manufacturer/car? Guess it was just who was in charge at the time.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Was just in a buddy's '69 Camaro 302 Z28...factory tach is on the right.
Sponsored