Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sdyoung.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum GT Premium
My '17 SYNC3 confuses me. The apps button steers me toward plugging in iOS devices, then promptly CarPlay takes over. Question is, when I press the Apps soft button I am told to connect via USB, but this pic shows otherwise. Of course you cannot see the cable, but when I plug in the apps button is replaced with a CarPlay button. So could this be a <'17 SYNC3 that hasn't been updated with CarPlay yet? Even the FordPass iOS app catches itself in a loop. Says plug into USB and then press apps, but that button is only present until I plug in. So WTF?

I see all these pictures on the web with people having a ton of different apps on screen but I have only a few (Spotify, iHeart, Pandora).
Ford-Sync-3-CES-2015-AccuWeather.jpg
Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
You have car play.. but when you plug your phone in carplay takes over.. if you don't want carplay to take over you have to go into settings and disable carplay.. so it won't jump to car play..

OP
OP
dotJake

dotJake

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sdyoung.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
OK, so it's CarPlay enabled that's doing it. If I disable CP then does it just power the phone and leave the BT connection up so I can play Spotify (for ex.)? I assume I lose the CP "nav lite" and all of the other CP functions. I guess I need to play around with CP disabled.

Thanks

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Yes.. but the thing if you have an iPhone.. the apps will NOT populate unless the phone is plugged in.. so if you want to use everything factory and not carplay.. disable carplay.. if you want to use carplay reenable carplay in the settings.. but whatever you do the phone has to be plugged in with the iPhone.. just the way it is for now

OP
OP
dotJake

dotJake

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sdyoung.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. I disabled CP in SYNC and messed around with it - ehh. I think I'll stick with CP. I wonder if the guys working on as-built mods will find the option to get CP to work via BT. Impossible until they all get CP updates in their cars. Seems most are waiting for that still to roll out.

Side question [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION], there seems to be some amount of GPS in the non-NAV cars. In FORScan I can program it to output the coordinates and elevation. Elevation is spot-on but the coordinates were in a not-so-standard notation. The non-NAV SYNC3's you mentioned need a module to complete the true NAV mod. What does that module enable if the car seems to have some smarts as-is?

Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
There is nothing in as built to add that.. I have all the ford databases for as built.

The non nav has just no maps.. and they cant be enabled on sync 3 totally different hardware.. there is a gps antenna in non nav cars.. and its for time settings and a couple other features.. but thats it

There is not that much that can added in as built data...

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
heres a video

[ame]
Sponsored