Sponsored

Sync, how I hate thee...

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
I have a base V6 convertible. It's mostly a good car, except the Sync system. What a steaming pile of poo. I go back and forth between being disgusted with how crappy it is, and amazed that the designers crammed so much suckage into such a small package.

1. Maybe it needs an update? Ooh, look; there's one available. I download it, format my USB drive exFAT as instructed, put the files on it, and go plug it in. "Device Not Supported." Try the other USB slot; same message. Format a different USB drive, try again, no go. You have got to be kidding me.

2. Like many others, about every 3 months, I have to pull the fuse so my bluetooth and voice commands will start working again. Really? The voice commands are one of the primary "features" of Sync. And you put out a design that fails, and requires disconnecting the power to fix?

3. If I'm listening to music on a USB drive or via bluetooth, and turn off the car, how come the next time I start it up, the radio is playing? But the screen says I'm playing a song from the USB or bluetooth device? And punching the "Media" button switches to another media source, not the device being displayed. Did the designers actually try to make it not work right, as a joke or something?

4. Randomly, the "911 Assist" message stays on, and won't go away until I push the menu button. And it actually takes me to the menu, so I have to punch it again to exit out.

5. I only use the USB 1 and Bluetooth. When I use the media button to switch between them, I have to go through USB 2. Why does it take multiple seconds and button pushes to bypass USB2? Yes, I know there's no device connected. There's never been a device connected there. That's why I'm trying to leave and go to Bluetooth. But I can't leave; it's like it's mocking me, daring me to install something in USB2. It's trying to be the Hotel California of inputs.

6. Now this next one's only happened a couple of times, but still, how hard is it to get THE VOLUME operating correctly? I finish listening to a podcast via bluetooth, and switch to the radio. The volume is turned up a bit due to the podcast. The radio come on, and now the volume control doesn't work. Neither the steering wheel button nor the volume knob work. The freaking volume. The volume knob has been around since the turn of the century. The 20th century. And they somehow screwed it up.

7. To rub it in that I'm stuck with the suckiest factory stereo on the road today, they designed it so I have to jump through flaming hoops of fire like a circus tiger to upgrade it.

8. Lastly, when I press the "Voice" button on the steering wheel, and tell Sync it's the biggest, stinkiest, most worthless pile of poo since the Yugo, and it needs to go fornicate with itself, it's only response is "Say a command." It doesn't even give me the satisfaction of feeling shame for its gold-level suckiness. I never thought I'd miss the AM/FM 8-track player from the '72 Lincoln I had in high school (still had the demo 8-track in the glove box with Elvis and Sinatra on it). But Sync has managed to make it happen.

(thank you for letting me get this off my chest. Tomorrow, I will try a 3rd USB drive, and see if maybe the update will knock the suckage down to bronze level, at least)
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Using the iPhone with the system in 15 cars sucks. For a couple of weeks there will be no issues. Then the car will not even go to USB 2. Then it won't play the song. Or it will be frozen on pause. Then it won't play any sound. Then the phone will randomly shuffle/I shuffle and repeat and unrepeat when connected. Then sometimes you turn the car on it goes to the first FM radio. After five or so minutes I can normally get it to go back as I put the phone into the center armrest I bump the wire and I disconnect since the USB 2 port is loose. And then the car won't recognize the phone again. "Bluetooth is not connected" the car yells at me as I curse back at it when I try to cycle through the inputs repeatedly while the car skips USB 2 a few times like it disappeared.

Yeah I hate this system. And the 911 assist thing is the most annoying part about it all since it has to play as you mentioned.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Sync and MyFordTouch are total pieces of garbage. My '13 Edge was way worse than the 15 Mustang, most of the reason I bought the base GT so I wouldn't have to fool with all that MFT touch screen.

OP
OP

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
I did finally get the update to load. I was curious why my music USB stick worked, but the ones with the update didn't. Turns out that in spite of the instructions, you need to format it FAT32, not exFAT. Then the instructions say to push the AUX button; there is no AUX button.

I didn't drive it today; we'll see if any of the issues are fixed. I don't have high hopes, as the description of the update mostly lists new functions. You'd think they'd fix steaming pile of turd before they made it bigger.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
By comparing them to Sync, you're insulting all stinking piles of poo...
LOL

First test has failed. Listened to local talk radio on the way to work. Remembering that I needed to test the update, I switched to music on the USB drive for the last few miles. When I left work, the display said I was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn. Yet the speakers were treating me to the dulcet tones of Sean Hannity. Ugghh.

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well, this is interesting...
Not much bothered about tech myself, but after driving the car around for a year, I tried pressing the talking face button on the steering wheel. Nothing happened. I put it down to my cave man level of tech ineptitude and I was obviously doing something wrong, but your post suggests that Sync 3 doesn't always work properly. Is it possible that Ford have created something less than perfect? If so, maybe it's not me, maybe it just doesn't work....
Back to the dealer. (sigh..)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Sync 2 in my 2015 seems to work fine, haven't found any issues with it. Thought Sync 3 was supposed to be better, but apparently not for everyone.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
We miss the 8.4 uConnect system in our 2014 RAM Laramie. It worked great. I did update the MFT in the Mustang and the Nav maps but it’s a far cry from the system in our year older RAM. Just another reason my wife regrets our trading it in on this Mustang. As fun as the Mustang is, I wish we had kept her RAM. Oh well, maybe we can get another one someday. Fixed retirement income is a PITA.
Sponsored