Sponsored

Swollen Lug Nuts?

WHealy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
So today I got new wheels and tires (and lugs) and was surprised to see the original lugs on my car. It's a 2016 that I just bought a few weeks ago. Not cure of the build date.

When I was counting to make sure I had gotten all the original lugs I noticed one of the lugs looked terrible and another looked bad. When I asked the service guy about it he said they see that in Ford lugs all the time.

He called it a swollen lug nut. He said they are made out of two materials with the core being different than the "flashy" outside. He said material gets between the two materials and eventually they all swell up. He said that it's the first time he's seen it on lugs that are so new.

Now these guys have done a half dozen wheel sets for me over time or so. I have a lot of confidence that they know what they are doing. So is this swelling thing real and something others with OEM lugs will need to watch out for? Or where they covering themselves after ripping up a few lugs?

Didn't see this in search so thought I wold see if anyone has seen this before. I've attached a pic of worst, bad, best to show what I'm talking about.
lug.jpg
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Looks more like improper/worn socket that slipped and ruined the spines.

stangbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Same thing happens to the lug nuts of other US car makes. Its because the service guys use the wrong socket size to remove the lug nuts. Example: a 13/16 socket should be used, instead some might use a 21mm. They both feel like they fit just fine but the 21mm over time will "swell" the lug nut.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I had some swollen lug nuts at a wedding I was just at... turns out she had a boyfriend.

Sponsored

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
I had 2 lugs on my back right wheel from the dealer that looked the same. It looked like somebody used the wrong socket on them. By the time I realized it I didn't feel like dealing with the dealership that would probably blame me for screwing them up.

My 2 were still usable though. I have since replaced them when I installed the new wheels and tires.

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
Example: a 13/16 socket should be used, instead some might use a 21mm. They both feel like they fit just fine but the 21mm over time will "swell" the lug nut.
Yes! I only use a 13/16 deep socket for my nuts. Anything else is heresy!

[insert joke about grabbing, wrenching, gripping, twisting or stripping my nuts here] :lol:

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Lug nuts getting them Gains !!!!

sorry its early here I had to lol.

that does look and sound weird though on a more serious note, never have had that happen to us.

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
wheel lugs swollen

Hello All,
I have not seen any swollen nuts on my car but I only had the wheels rotated once. I have a 2015 GT competition orange with the black PP wheels. I posted a while ago about black wheel lugnuts and locks. I ll ask you now ,have you found any replacement nuts that are the same size as OEM? I see cjpony parts and american muscle has them but I don't want to see the silver behind the nuts.
I 'm googling now but I havent found any OEM black wheel lugnuts.

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Example: a 13/16 socket should be used, instead some might use a 21mm. They both feel like they fit just fine but the 21mm over time will "swell" the lug nut.
This is exactly what happened to my OEM lug nuts. I ended up sanding a few of them down when they got "swollen".

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I used to be in the tire and wheel business years ago. The lug nuts are a two piece design with the faux chrome cover. They get that way from using impact wrenches with worn out flip sockets. The use of 21mm instead of 13/16 as someone mentioned is a culprit as well. The sockets don't fit snug and the impact from the wrench loosens the cover and deforms it. The cover eventually will separate from the nut as well.

Best solution - use hand tools if you want your factory lug nuts to survive.

SpaceGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I used to be in the tire and wheel business years ago. The lug nuts are a two piece design with the faux chrome cover. They get that way from using impact wrenches with worn out flip sockets. The use of 21mm instead of 13/16 as someone mentioned is a culprit as well. The sockets don't fit snug and the impact from the wrench loosens the cover and deforms it. The cover eventually will separate from the nut as well.

Best solution - use hand tools if you want your factory lug nuts to survive.
This. Plus only use a 6 point socket.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
These lugs are pretty cheap anyway. Get some one piece ones.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just get some gorilla lug nuts off amazon. Pretty cheap, good quality and they come with a key so they can't be removed with a regular socket so it provides some theft protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel_Guy

Wheel_Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Convert 401A PP1
The factory lugs are steel with a cosmetic stainless steel sleeve over the top, they do this so the lugs won't rust. Installing/removing with an impact wrench will wreak havoc on the thin covers. I sell lug nuts for a living and refuse to even carry that type.
Sponsored