Sponsored

Suspension Expects, I need advice

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My coilovers blew out the OEM top shock mounts yet again, I believe it is from the shock bottoming out and their bumpstops not being as pliable as the OEM ones.

It appears to me that after the springs begin to settle, the shock travels gets reduced compared to when you first bolt the shocks on. The shock body is adjustable and I can adjust the height of the shock body.

Would it be okay to make the shock body shorter, and let's say leave a half inch between the top mounting holes and the top mount? I would then jack the control arm up a half inch and mount them, when the car is dropped the spring will compress fully and the shock will half much more travel.

Would I have any negative side effects from preloading the spring like that? I will be machining custom top mounts and mounting them normally when I make them, but I need to make sure they don't blow again while I am at school, I bought two replacements and now I have zero left.
Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I would talk to Kelly at BMR bro.

OP
OP
derieuz

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Some more information that I found to be relavant, the shock should be at the middle of its travel at ride height? Apparently lowered vehicles to not usually account for that, so is it possible I have little to no shock travel at my current ride height?

OP
OP
derieuz

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
resolved the issue, the problem was with the coilover design not distributing the load properly on the casting. Modified the OEM bumpstop to work with it

CeleronXXX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Pics on how you did this? Mine will be here any day

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Just saw this.

That is exactly what I was going to recommend - simply using the OEM stops to stop the center mounting flange on the shock mount bearing all the load.

If you ever have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Post some pics when you get a chance!
Sponsored