Sponsored

Supercharger & Street Tires for daily, worth it?

mediumrare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey I am considering getting a supercharger installed at some point and wanted to get some input on how usable the power actually is on street tires for a daily driver. Just for reference I have a 2019 GT PP1 6speed

Ive seen some conflicting info, some have said that with a roots style like a whipple, gears 1-3 are "useless" and you need drag radials other wise it spins all over the place. Does this mean its useless in full throttle or can you still use the power if you modulate.

It seems to me like a centrifugal supercharger is more daily-able, can you actually use more power with this setup on street tires?

What is also strange to me is that the roush mustangs come on street tires, and so does the gt500.

I like the idea of a roush kit because of how oem it would look under the hood and don't need the power of a whipple.
I don't track my car, just some "spirited" driving here and there, could I still enjoy the supercharger on street tires? For my purposes what is more important, keeping boost conservative or sticking to centrifugal? I want to be able to use something like Michelin PS4S and still enjoy more speed/power
Sponsored

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
Sure, nothing wrong with running your stock tires on the street at the lower boost levels imo. I really didn't start having traction trouble until I began increasing my boost/power. Mind you, I was careful with throttle application in 1st and 2nd and still am for the most part (especially until the tires are warm). Once I started breaking loose in 3rd gear under hard acceleration is when I decided to make the change to a drag radial.

OP
OP
mediumrare

mediumrare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Sure, nothing wrong with running your stock tires on the street at the lower boost levels imo. I really didn't start having traction trouble until I began increasing my boost/power. Mind you, I was careful with throttle application in 1st and 2nd and still am for the most part (especially until the tires are warm). Once I started breaking loose in 3rd gear under hard acceleration is when I decided to make the change to a drag radial.
Do you know how much HP you're making? Would you say the SC makes 1st and 2nd gear less fun because you have to be careful with throttle? Right now I can floor it gears 1-2 and get a nice sharp fun acceleration that pulls me back in my seat.

Basically what I want to know is would this feeling be amplified with a supercharger even if I have to use less throttle?

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I ran Mickey Thompson ET street SS with my Whipple setup on my 17 GT. The reason behind it was just making sure i had some traction and make sure the power got to the road. The DRs held the power besides 1st gear which was a given.

I was around 720 to the wheels for reference and regular tires didn’t hold the power in any gear.

However, if you want street tires then get the pilot sport 4s as they come on the new gt500s and they’re actually not bad at all even when it’s cold

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I am running about 900hp to the tire. No, FI makes everything more exciting, you simply need to learn to drive the car a bit differently. Compared to naturally aspirated and FI, there is not comparison regardless of the tire you are running imo. If you are stuck with pump gas rather then e-85 or something equivalent, your street tires should work fine. Again, I ran street tires on my setup for awhile just fine on e85. If driven properly, your car will be faster the it is NA.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Your 0 to 60 mph will not be better, may even be worse. But your 60-130 will improve along with your 100-150 mph

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Do not drive it like it has a digital gas pedal and there is no issue. Driver capability will dictate how the car performs. My 15 pp with 3.73 gears and stg2 gen5 whipple and worn street tires is a blast. Sure i can break it loose in low gears but i can also feather it to plant it as needed. Bit harder to do in cold weather when tires are stone cold but who does not have that problem.

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is exactly my point. Well said Mantis.

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
I've had my first supercharged car for a few days over a year now ('18 w/ 750hp Roush tune). Until you floor it, it drives pretty much like any other Mustang. You do have to be careful with it, but to say it's undrivable is hardly the case. You have to learn to modulate the throttle if you're going to play with it. The better tires you put on it, the less careful you have to be. I have 275/30-20 BFG AS2 Plus for my street tires (so I can drive it when it's below 40 degrees F). My autocross tires (305/30-19 Falken RT660) definitely increase how much power you can put down. With my '08 Bullitt I constantly have it floored on an autocross course. The Roush only gets floored once you're going straight and it doesn't happen very often. Definitely more of a challenge to drive, but it's a ton of fun. I put about 14k miles on the car and my list of "the down side" is pretty short. I think fuel quality issues is about the only real negative I've had.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Do you know how much HP you're making? Would you say the SC makes 1st and 2nd gear less fun because you have to be careful with throttle? Right now I can floor it gears 1-2 and get a nice sharp fun acceleration that pulls me back in my seat.

Basically what I want to know is would this feeling be amplified with a supercharger even if I have to use less throttle?
Yes, absolutely. It's a lot more fun at part throttle. As others have mentioned, you just need to learn to drive the car a bit differently. 1st gear becomes in a way too sensitive, but then you switch to 2nd sooner and use the huge torque to pull you. You'll learn to be more mindful about getting tires warm :giggle: .

I have roush stage 2 SC installed and I really love how progressive and predictable it is. At some point though you will want to get proper tires for it :)

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
Gears are longer in the D4 vs the previous gens. I was able to hook first with nt555rii at around 550 whp? (Guessing due to altitude). Now I have all seasons on it lol but it’s still fun, not scary or less enjoyable. It can spin 2nd so I just have to be mindful about throttle application.

plenty of guys run 700 whp and below on street tires. You should hook 3rd on a gen 3. 2nd maybe. I wouldn’t say the car is less fun at all. ESP with a centri.
Sponsored