Sponsored

Summer Only Tire Warning, Blue curbed 322 miles

cvandenhaute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 128i
I don't disagree with any of that. If I lived somewhere that the weather was consistently cold with the possibility of ice/snow/sleet on a regular basis I'd at a minimum go A/S, or go winter tires if it was someplace that had actual, consistent winters.

As it is, I live in Texas (and not in the panhandle where it actually gets cold), just as the OP does. And summer tires here are fine for the vast majority of the year when driven properly.

My issue was the OP having an issue when the weather was sunny and 55-58 degrees ambient. The road was likely even warmer. The Summer tires should have been absolutely fine. Instead he curbed it hard enough to make the side curtain airbag come out and blamed it on the tires instead of his driving. And even then claims the tires were only good for 60 or 70 degrees or above.
Agreed with that: summer tires when the weather is that warm will not have any issue there must be something else that caused it. I was reacting to all the post I saw stating driving a summer tire in the winter was fine as long as you don't gun it...
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I don't disagree with any of that. If I lived somewhere that the weather was consistently cold with the possibility of ice/snow/sleet on a regular basis I'd at a minimum go A/S, or go winter tires if it was someplace that had actual, consistent winters.

As it is, I live in Texas (and not in the panhandle where it actually gets cold), just as the OP does. And summer tires here are fine for the vast majority of the year when driven properly.

My issue was the OP having an issue when the weather was sunny and 55-58 degrees ambient. The road was likely even warmer. The Summer tires should have been absolutely fine. Instead he curbed it hard enough to make the side curtain airbag come out and blamed it on the tires instead of his driving. And even then claims the tires were only good for 60 or 70 degrees or above.
Technically he said 56 with a "bone chilling wind" so it easily could have been in the 40's with wind chill on a cold breeze.

A bit too cold for summer tires.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Technically he said 56 with a "bone chilling wind" so it easily could have been in the 40's with wind chill on a cold breeze.

A bit too cold for summer tires.
:doh: That isn't how wind chill works, sorry. Anyway, the tire ratings are for ambient temps, not "wind chill" temps. Wind Chill is how your body interprets it, not an actual temperature. And Guaranteed the roads were warmer than that. Plus, even *if* it was in the 40's it wasn't below 40.

Edit: "The effect of wind chill is to increase the rate of heat loss and reduce any warmer objects to the ambient temperature more quickly. It cannot, however, reduce the temperature of these objects below the ambient temperature, no matter how great the wind velocity."

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
56 is 56 is 56, to everything except skin, and even then it only FEELS colder.

Intrepid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR 2017 GT PP Prem
Interesting video I found from Continental. I realize 2 things here, of note, this is talking about all seasons vs winter. So one can extrapolate Summer only tires results in this scenario. Also this is from a tire manufacturer so take it as you will. Just offering it up as interesting information.

[ame]

Sponsored

Black GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT BBP 6R80
Its just funny most of the 15's I have seen wrecked already are PP cars. The combo of the 5.0 3.73's and a tire compound that goes rock hard and slippery after 40 degrees is not working.
It's worked fine since 2010.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
well i guess im screwed tomorrow. gonna be 9F.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
well i guess im screwed tomorrow. gonna be 9F.
Are you going to drive it on the summers? It's supposed to be in the teens all weekend and I was looking forward to driving the car. I do have a daily, but that thing is sooo boring. If I drive carefully, would you risk it?

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
I have a 90 mile round trip to work. Today was 20F. Only incident was I felt the car fishtail in first and second after I took a right turn in the morning. Slight incline and it looked like black ice for a block where it happened.

I was giving it about 40 % throttle when it happened. After that, I feathered it whenever I felt there was a risk of losing traction. I took exit and entrance ramps cautiously.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
I have a 90 mile round trip to work. Today was 20F. Only incident was I felt the car fishtail in first and second after I took a right turn in the morning. Slight incline and it looked like black ice for a block where it happened.

I was giving it about 40 % throttle when it happened. After that, I feathered it whenever I felt there was a risk of losing traction. I took exit and entrance ramps cautiously.
Word. Well, I may try to drive it Friday then. It's a high of 20*. I feel if you feather the throttle and take note of the road while turning or going up any hills, it should be fine. Low RPMS and higher gears are your friend.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
I think you'll be fine if there's no precipitation on the pavement. We had about an inch or two yesterday so there were some spots of black ice. Regardless I will post my findings regarding tomorrow's morning commute.

Edit: I worked from home yesterday since I knew there would be snow.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

I was driving in essentially the same places as you today (Long Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan) and felt perfectly confident... On my snow tires.

I consider myself an extremely capable snow / ice driver (comparatively, I'm a FAR better snow driver than I am a dry-pavement driver, where my skills are probably below-average, performance-wise), and I'm definitely known to do my fair share of parking lot figure 8's and bootlegger turns and J turns after a fresh snowfall... But I can't even fathom 40% throttle on summer tires in this kind of weather. Maybe if the traction control's off so I can gain momentum on slush with wheel spin. I don't think I've topped five percent throttle all week.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
I drive a mustang, I can't go a day without going at least 80-90% throttle at least for a half a second.

I'm still testing the limits of the summer tires in this weather, since it's the first time I've driven on summers in the winter on a RWD vehicle.

I was puzzled as to how this happened to this M4 driver recently, especially while going straight on dry pavement. I'd think the M4's LSD would be more than capable of putting the power down evenly.

But yes, our car tends to drift left as well. At least in my case yesterday. Unless it was due to the angle of the incline. But unlike the M4 driver, I know how to recover from a fishtail.

[ame]

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
^^^^^that's gonna leave a mark?? Ouch....

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Nothing to report from this morning's 10F degree commute. No incidents.
Sponsored