Sponsored

Summer Only Tire Warning, Blue curbed 322 miles

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Just drove my GT premium with the PP this morning in 24 degree weather. Did not have one issue. You need to be aware that you are driving a car with 435 hp and 400 lbs of torque. It needs to be respected in ALL WEATHER, not just cold. If you take it easy when it's cold out or at least wait until the tires warm up, you won't have an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think part of the problem too is this car drives so smoothly it's easy to forget what you have behind the pedal when just driving around, especially with the stock exhaust. That was the big difference between the '14 and '15 to me.
Sponsored

ryan.coakley93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
I live in Colorado and would not stand to get A/S if when I order the PP. I daily drive a RWD car and in a place with seasons like we have here you MUST have the right tires for the season. In my case true summer tires from May to October and winter tires from October to May, period. My 128i has almost twice less power and torque than a GT and I still need to take it extremely carefully on my summer tires (Continental ExtremeContact DW) when the temperature is under 50. But when the temperature reaches 60 degrees and above, boy those are fun, and they hold extremely well on track days!

I can't speak for snow, (yet, will update when I get a chance) but these tires do heat up pretty quick, usually only takes 5 minutes. Still got to take it easy anyway. Yea, when it gets above 60 again I'm going out to the mountains. The 1 series is a crazy fun car, I used to drive a civic si and when I got the chance to drive the 128i I fell in love and my civic just seemed so dull.

ryan.coakley93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
I think part of the problem too is this car drives so smoothly it's easy to forget what you have behind the pedal when just driving around, especially with the stock exhaust. That was the big difference between the '14 and '15 to me.

Oh absolutely. Sometimes when you are just driving and in the "zone" and not thinking too hard it's easy to hit the gas pedal a little too hard while in a corner. I'm fortunate enough to only drive on very well maintained roads to/from work without too many twists and turns too. This is just part of the risk you take when driving a high hp rwd car like the 5.0, adds to the excitement IMO. If you want a car that won't spin out or bite hard when you make a mistake buy a Camry.

Jotis73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 guard pp/gt base
Had them on my 2011 PP V6 drove below 20 degrees a lot, no problems! got the new GT PP and drove in the 30s and 40s no problems. My father has been working in Goodyear plants for years and he will tell you it's rubber compound that makes them summer only, but summer only for z ratings, don't drive z rated speed or expect z rated preformance in the winter. the tire is fine for day to day driving in any temp. just like you can do 150 on H rated tires, they're just not rated for it. what's it matter in 17,000 miles just go with grand touring and be happy.

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Had them on my 2011 PP V6 drove below 20 degrees a lot, no problems! got the new GT PP and drove in the 30s and 40s no problems. My father has been working in Goodyear plants for years and he will tell you it's rubber compound that makes them summer only, but summer only for z ratings, don't drive z rated speed or expect z rated preformance in the winter. the tire is fine for day to day driving in any temp. just like you can do 150 on H rated tires, they're just not rated for it. what's it matter in 17,000 miles just go with grand touring and be happy.
That's like saying I knew a guy who smoked a pack a day and lived into his 90s...So, it's OK to smoke because ____-->:tsk:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a GT w/PP a few weeks ago in 30 F dry weather. Pulled out of the lot and with VERY little throttle application, the rears spun up and hopped (was going straight). A few minutes later, they were warm enough that I was able to push the car a bit without fear. Other than a 2nd to 3rd WOT pull onto a highway to feel the power, I was pretty gentle and was able to drive completely normal (curvy roads, between stop lights) without issue.

Jotis73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 guard pp/gt base
That's like saying I knew a guy who smoked a pack a day and lived into his 90s...So, it's OK to smoke because ____-->:tsk:
Ok, if that's the way you take it, but my father is a lab technician for Goodyear tire and rubber company (for 35 years) and he knows how they rate tires. summer only means that you will not and cannot get summer preformance in the winter. It doesn't have anything to do with normal driving. To take it a step further if you heat up the tires preformance improves so under normal driving conditions in 20 degrees the tire will be up to temp very quickly. Is an H rated tire fine to run a 150 mph on? Hell yes it is, it's just not spun at the same speed as the Z in testing. Is a summer tire ok to drive in 20 degree temps? Hell yes it is, unless your trying to drive it like its 85 outside. :tsk: back at you!

snkmug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Orange
Its just funny most of the 15's I have seen wrecked already are PP cars. The combo of the 5.0 3.73's and a tire compound that goes rock hard and slippery after 40 degrees is not working.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Its just funny most of the 15's I have seen wrecked already are PP cars. The combo of the 5.0 3.73's and a tire compound that goes rock hard and slippery after 40 degrees is not working.
:frusty:...

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Ok, if that's the way you take it, but my father is a lab technician for Goodyear tire and rubber company (for 35 years) and he knows how they rate tires. summer only means that you will not and cannot get summer preformance in the winter. It doesn't have anything to do with normal driving. To take it a step further if you heat up the tires preformance improves so under normal driving conditions in 20 degrees the tire will be up to temp very quickly. Is an H rated tire fine to run a 150 mph on? Hell yes it is, it's just not spun at the same speed as the Z in testing. Is a summer tire ok to drive in 20 degree temps? Hell yes it is, unless your trying to drive it like its 85 outside. :tsk: back at you!
It has everything to do with driving in 20° temperatures, normal or aggressive.

Forget about speed rating, it's about formula, compounds & temperature.

Sponsored

Jotis73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 guard pp/gt base
That's what my father does mix and check compounds all day for 35 years. I guess what he told me was bull$h!? then. I'll tell him he's wrong when I see him!!! :crazy:

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
That's what my father does mix and check compounds all day for 35 years. I guess what he told me was bull$h!? then. I'll tell him he's wrong when I see him!!! :crazy:
I'm not doubting your father...Ask him, why do they issue warning against driving in the cold if the tires are safe at any temperature.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
I'm not doubting your father...Ask him, why do they issue warning against driving in the cold if the tires are safe at any temperature.
not enough common sense and to many lawyers. simple.;)

beers

cvandenhaute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 128i
I don't even understand this conversation: there are hundreds of videos showing comparisons of summer, all season and winter tires on the same cars under various conditions and all of them show that summer tires in the winter is not a good idea (braking distances is a very good metric) because rubber hardens way too much under cold temperatures. You definitely FEEL the difference with them when temperatures go under 40-45 degrees, driving normally (in my case in a 230hp car, not even talking about 435hp). Anyone who lives in a climate where winter is winter (not talking about snow but temperature staying under 40 degrees for a certain amount of time) would be foolish to have a car with summer tires on his DD car during that season.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I don't even understand this conversation: there are hundreds of videos showing comparisons of summer, all season and winter tires on the same cars under various conditions and all of them show that summer tires in the winter is not a good idea (braking distances is a very good metric) because rubber hardens way too much under cold temperatures. You definitely FEEL the difference with them when temperatures go under 40-45 degrees, driving normally (in my case in a 230hp car, not even talking about 435hp). Anyone who lives in a climate where winter is winter (not talking about snow but temperature staying under 40 degrees for a certain amount of time) would be foolish to have a car with summer tires on his DD car during that season.
I don't disagree with any of that. If I lived somewhere that the weather was consistently cold with the possibility of ice/snow/sleet on a regular basis I'd at a minimum go A/S, or go winter tires if it was someplace that had actual, consistent winters.

As it is, I live in Texas (and not in the panhandle where it actually gets cold), just as the OP does. And summer tires here are fine for the vast majority of the year when driven properly.

My issue was the OP having an issue when the weather was sunny and 55-58 degrees ambient. The road was likely even warmer. The Summer tires should have been absolutely fine. Instead he curbed it hard enough to make the side curtain airbag come out and blamed it on the tires instead of his driving. And even then claims the tires were only good for 60 or 70 degrees or above.
Sponsored