Sponsored

Success welding S197 mufflers onto an S550?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to upgrade the sound of my car, and I am really intrigued by the idea of being able to change volume based on my needs.

I've been looking at the Varex X force systems and I like them overall. However at full open they are still a bit quiet for my taste.

I have an H pipe on my car already but Varex doesn't sell an axle back for our cars. The cat back system they sell has a resonator built in already. So my solution would be to buy the s197 axle back kit and have it cut/welded onto my stock pipes.

Anyone done this? Not just with varex but any muffler? Seems a good welder should be able to make short work of it unless I am missing something.

Edit.....I guess I could buy the cat back set up and hack off the resonator, replacing it with an H pipe if thats a better way to go.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Do a search for GT500 mufflers. There are several threads about people putting s197 GT 500 mufflers on their s550. It's a custom job but people seem to be getting good results.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I think you can get just the mufflers from Varex as stand-alone units. Take those to a muffler shop to have them installed. Probably a lot cheaper than modifying an entire axle back designed for a different car.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I think you can get just the mufflers from Varex as stand-alone units. Take those to a muffler shop to have them installed. Probably a lot cheaper than modifying an entire axle back designed for a different car.
Yup you can buy the mufflers separate. I went to an exhaust shop showed him the picture of the muffler and he said he could install them with no problem. I ended up going with a solo catback and couldn't be happier.
Sponsored