student debt forgiveness is back

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Public universities receive federal grant money directly, and accept students who pay with federal loans. They have no incentive to keep costs down, so long as the money keeps coming in.
Hello; well stated. It is in some ways like the added dealer markup on popular car /truck models. If there is a demand for a model the dealers just add to the MSRP as long as someone keeps coming in and will pay.
Until there is loan reform and education reform, the cycle will continue. The education system is being run for profit, not for learning.
Hello; I will tell one story, but it was typical of public school attitudes by the time I left the profession. The story is about how the measure of a students performance as an indicator of achievement was not important. Keeping parents happy was. I can add to the story about how the grading system I used was super easy for any student who tried at all. That the people in charge of a school system actually wanted students who were not gaining education or life skills to be rewarded with passing grades.
I was teaching in a high school. I had replaced a biology/science teacher. I had already worked out a pension in a different state which had a bearing on my attitude.
(Side note -There were some students who did the work. Who made the effort to get an education. This happened in the AP Biology classes for sure but also there were a few in the general classes.)
Back to the story. The first year at the new high school I taught the Science/Biology classes in which the students were tested by the state at term end. I had some problems with students but not too many. By the second year the school had hired a much younger teacher and put her in the those classes. I imagine planning for long term as I was already close to the end of a career.
I was given the general classes filled with students who would not be tested at term end. The classes were loaded up. Had discipline problems pretty much all the time, but such is another story. There was a very different attitude among those students and a different attitude from the school principal as well. Skip to the crux of the story. At the end of the first semester I was called in by the principal.
He had discovered I was giving a number of students failing grades. I was given a lecture about how the students and their parents were our clients and I needed to cater to them. I replied that I felt the citizens of the state/county were paying for the school and generally expected the students to be educated so as to become productive and educated members of society. I offered to allow my grading system to be examined to see if I was being unfair about the grades. Of course my points did not matter. He explained how as the school principal he had the authority to change the grades I had given and would do so.
Next term I gave out 17 failing grades, but after they were recorded went to the records office and picked up 17 change of grade forms. I signed the 17 forms but did not put down a grade. Took those 17 forms to the principal and left it to him to put a grade. So after I had spent a semester with the students, then someone who had not spent any time with them at all picked their grades.

One note. The fact I had already put in the time to have a pension had me in a position to be that bold. I was in fact let go by the school system at the end of the second year. A teacher who needs to keep a job will not be able to defy the system by holding students to a proper standard.
Another note. Sadly if the school systems could be reformed to some standard where a proper education was the more important goal it would take about 12 years or so to show full effect. The time it takes to send a student thru the 12 grades. There could be some limited earlier benefit of course as the students and parents caught on that complaining about grades would not "fix" a poor performance anymore.
That some countries have already gone this path may have something to do with why the USA needs to bring in engineers the way we do.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK, exactly why are we going through this again. The last thread, which has now been turned off, was 27 pages and 405 posts. We are rehashing the exact same things all based on a post by OP that was not based in any fact whatsoever.

As of right now, there is no student debt forgiveness. Could there be? Yes. Is there anything that can be done about it? No.

OP
OP

VERN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
VERN
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500
OK, exactly why are we going through this again. The last thread, which has now been turned off, was 27 pages and 405 posts. We are rehashing the exact same things all based on a post by OP that was not based in any fact whatsoever.

As of right now, there is no student debt forgiveness. Could there be? Yes. Is there anything that can be done about it? No.
Because now it appears it will happen.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
promised student loan debt relief
Hello; The power structure has changed not necessarily the opinions about it. I would hope as long as a discussion can be civil we should be able to talk about it.

Is there anything that can be done about it? No.
Hello; I am not sure what, if anything, can be done about it. So many things are beyond my control, but I should be able to express an opinion. I also learn sometimes from the free exchange of ideas. While it may not be likely, it is possible such a civil free exchange of ideas may influence opinions.

OP
OP

VERN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
VERN
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500
[/QUOTE]the power structure has changed. Pelosi and schumer have supported this. In a democratic congress it now has a better chance than ever before. Not as much a sure thing as another stimulus ck but the probabilities are upped. No more from me. We will wait and see.

Sponsored

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Who cares - truth is it won't happen. At least not total pay off of everything like they say. We also did this to ourselves, proper work ethic and family upbringing has evaporated. We also lost a election which means we're in for a house, senate, and president that will set things forth that we have never seen before. I'm so over it by now, I feel we live with the consequences for our actions and talk about mustangs. Fuck politics, the hell with talking about liberals or Trump, just see what happens.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Hello; The power structure has changed not necessarily the opinions about it. I would hope as long as a discussion can be civil we should be able to talk about it.
Of course we can discuss it. My point is nothing has changed, at least for today, and the topic was beat to death in the other thread. As far as being civil please inform the member of post 33 of that. It always goes political, because it is.

Hello; I am not sure what, if anything, can be done about it. So many things are beyond my control, but I should be able to express an opinion. I also learn sometimes from the free exchange of ideas. While it may not be likely, it is possible such a civil free exchange of ideas may influence opinions.
Once again I'm in total agreement with you. This part of the forum is all about opinions. I just wish somebody had something new to bring to the table. This is the same old stuff.

/QUOTE]the power structure has changed. Pelosi and schumer have supported this. In a democratic congress it now has a better chance than ever before. Not as much a sure thing as another stimulus ck but the probabilities are upped. No more from me. We will wait and see.
Vern, your original post indicated a knowledge of something new happening. I'm more than open to that but there was nothing forthcoming. I hope it doesn't happen but again I agree with you. All we can really do is sit back and wait.

OP
OP

VERN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
VERN
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500
Of course we can discuss it. My point is nothing has changed, at least for today, and the topic was beat to death in the other thread. As far as being civil please inform the member of post 33 of that. It always goes political, because it is.

Once again I'm in total agreement with you. This part of the forum is all about opinions. I just wish somebody had something new to bring to the table. This is the same old stuff.

Vern, your original post indicated a knowledge of something new happening. I'm more than open to that but there was nothing forthcoming. I hope it doesn't happen but again I agree with you. All we can really do is sit back and wait.
please refer to posts 6 and 7. others have kindly included news releases of possible senate proposed action

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
please refer to posts 6 and 7. others have kindly included news releases of possible senate proposed action
I did read these Vern. These articles and at least 20 more just like them are all speculating. Right now it is nothing but talk. You originally said that it was actually happening. Doesn't matter now as I understand what you meant.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350

This is a marvelous post. I like the answer to the question, "Is there anything that can be done about it?" No, is a great answer. The left is openly unresponsive to taxpayers and proud of it.

The government is now controlled by people who are utterly intolerant and have complete comtempt for actual taxpayers and working Americans. They want to print money by the trillions of dollars to bribe their mindless minions and buy them into submission and they have the ablity to do it.

Censure of anyone with a contrary opinion is the way of the left in this country and it is getting extreme. If you saw todays news, the leftists are requiring all Army National Guard members sent to DC to provide security be screened to remove Republicans and anyone who might disagree with leftist world view. The Army is gladly complying.

As more and more states become unliveable cesspools of crime, poverty, high unemployment and dispair we can see they all have one thing in common. Leftist dregs from places like New York, New Jersey and Michigan are moving to places like Myrtle Beach, South Carolina because they hate living in the sewers of high taxes, high crime and looking at the poverty and drug infested messes they created.

Then, they vote for same tired old leftists, embrace voter fraud and ride their Rascal scooters down to the local Biden rally to demand taxpayers get soaked and money get printed to try and turn their new home into the sewer they fled.............................................Because this time it will be better.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
This is a marvelous post. I like the answer to the question, "Is there anything that can be done about it?" No, is a great answer. The left is openly unresponsive to taxpayers and proud of it.

The government is now controlled by people who are utterly intolerant and have complete comtempt for actual taxpayers and working Americans. They want to print money by the trillions of dollars to bribe their mindless minions and buy them into submission and they have the ablity to do it.

Censure of anyone with a contrary opinion is the way of the left in this country and it is getting extreme. If you saw todays news, the leftists are requiring all Army National Guard members sent to DC to provide security be screened to remove Republicans and anyone who might disagree with leftist world view. The Army is gladly complying.

As more and more states become unliveable cesspools of crime, poverty, high unemployment and dispair we can see they all have one thing in common. Leftist dregs from places like New York, New Jersey and Michigan are moving to places like Myrtle Beach, South Carolina because they hate living in the sewers of high taxes, high crime and looking at the poverty and drug infested messes they created.

Then, they vote for same tired old leftists, embrace voter fraud and ride their Rascal scooters down to the local Biden rally to demand taxpayers get soaked and money get printed to try and turn their new home into the sewer they fled.............................................Because this time it will be better.
So other than your political rants (that no longer have any place on this forum) do you have any specific thoughts about college debt forgiveness?

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Nobody held a gun to their head and told them to take out a student loan. If they're not smart enough to realize there are careers out there that can pay more than a job with a degree, they probably don't need to be going to college just to be going in the first place. :wink:

OP
OP

VERN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
VERN
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500
I did read these Vern. These articles and at least 20 more just like them are all speculating. Right now it is nothing but talk. You originally said that it was actually happening. Doesn't matter now as I understand what you meant.
That is all I had but with the political change in power recently( with the Senate power shifting) I think it is now more likely to happen than I could have predicted before last Tuesdays Georgia Senate runoffs. Sorry if any misunderstanding. Wait and see. In any event we cannot afford it as a country and it is a slap in the face to those who have paid. Enough said wait and see. we all will have to live with it. Democracy rules.