Sponsored

Strange, seemingly random "audio/microphone feedback" -like harmonic noise in cabin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Coupe x2, 2015 Ecoboost in black
Hello

I bought my 2015 EcoBoost in February last year (2020). Second owner, 40000ish miles at purchase, 48555 now.

Sometime in the last 6 months or so, I started noticing a strange sound that kinda reminded me of lower-midrange audio feedback, like if you had a microphone pointing at a speaker stack.

At first, I literally thought that it WAS feedback, or some issue with my phone, as it always seemed to happen while listening to it through the Bluetooth system.

Recently however, the sound started happening again and I actually reached out to turn the volume down instinctively only to realize the stereo wasn't even on or the volume was turned all the way down.

I described the sound to a service tech at the dealership and they asked me if it was coming from in front or underneath the cabin. I listened for it again and the next time I heard it, It sounded like it came from underneath.

Im thinking axel or maybe drive train, possibly transmission. But it does fill the cabin and Ive actually apologized to passengers for the feedback sound.

I heard it again last week while in 5th and hit the paddle to go to 6th, and the noise stopped for a second or so, then came back.

The next day it came back and again stopped when changing gears.

I've heard the noise in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, always when the car has been on for at least 10 minutes. Supposedly there are bulletins from Ford saying something that makes the dealership mechanics think this is normal, possibly the fake engine noise or maybe the turbo activating, but that explanation does not "fit" to me logically.

Sounds SIMILAR (not exactly) like the first few seconds of this video, but it tapers in, lasts for 2-5 seconds, tapers out, and can sometimes repeat:

Anyone have ideas of what on earth is going on? Ford can't truly believe that a sound like this that is affected by changing gears is actually normal, right?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Not exactly for your situation but I may have some insight. I did an engine swap on my old 97 Mustang and the wiring harness was missing the wire for the passenger side front turn signal.

I spliced a wire from the driver side over with no issues, except a stupid high frequency sound whenever the lights were on. Insulating the wire didn't help. I spent a while looking for an explanation but had very little luck apart from one forum thread on an electrician website. It all went over my head but I think it came down to some form of interference caused by routing or the wiring that caused it. Nothing I was able to fix. Do take note that it was loud enough to be heard over a catless H pipe with flowmaster 40 mufflers and longtube headers.

Is there anything aftermarket installed? Subs, head unit, radar detector, anything?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Coupe x2, 2015 Ecoboost in black
Not exactly for your situation but I may have some insight. I did an engine swap on my old 97 Mustang and the wiring harness was missing the wire for the passenger side front turn signal.

I spliced a wire from the driver side over with no issues, except a stupid high frequency sound whenever the lights were on. Insulating the wire didn't help. I spent a while looking for an explanation but had very little luck apart from one forum thread on an electrician website. It all went over my head but I think it came down to some form of interference caused by routing or the wiring that caused it. Nothing I was able to fix. Do take note that it was loud enough to be heard over a catless H pipe with flowmaster 40 mufflers and longtube headers.

Is there anything aftermarket installed? Subs, head unit, radar detector, anything?
nothing aftermarket besides the hood struts i had put in last week, though the noise has been happening off and on since september or so.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
nothing aftermarket besides the hood struts i had put in last week, though the noise has been happening off and on since september or so.
Then that puts me at a loss. Can you capture the sound by recording? Maybe you can try fiddling around with somethings. I know you mentioned during shifts but maybe try leaving your phone at home for a drive, or turning on some of the accessories and see if one has an effect.

Some exhausts can have that sort of high frequency drone that'll come and go and is very unpleasant to the ears.
Sponsored