Sponsored

Strange Engine Sounds After Cold Start

Red15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT PP
Hey guys! I haven’t posted in awhile. My 2015 GT just rolled 20,000 miles. I ordered it in 2014. Recently I started noticing an unusual engine sound about 3 minutes after the first cold start of the day. After the car is fully warmed up it goes away. It doesn’t sound like the usual injector ticking to me. I hope I’m wrong. The car also shudders a little when letting out the clutch but only after the first cold start and first couple shifts of the day. This stops after the car is warmed. Give me your opinions please. I’ve included a video of both the cold start engine sound and after it’s been driven to contrast. Thanks!!

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Pop the hood and look around when you first start it up, narrow it down. I mean seriously...

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I tend to think it sounds like a belt or idler pulley noise. Probably a Chinese bearing in a pulley.

OP
OP

Red15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT PP
Pop the hood and look around when you first start it up, narrow it down. I mean seriously...
I appreciate your response and I took you sincerely even though I could understand if you were making a joke. I have. I can’t quite narrow it down. I’m not too mechanically inclined, unfortunately. Of course, my bumper to bumper warranty has just run out last year or else I’d just take it in. Then again, by the time I drove it the couple miles to the dealer, the engine would be warm and the sound would be gone and not easily duplicable.

The one thing I’m worried about is I checked my oil about 8 months ago while cleaning the engine bay and it was bone dry!! I was under my 6 month/5,000 mile change (always take it to the dealer for oil changes and everything for that matter) and my oil life indicator said I had 30% life left. I was shocked. It was just by chance I checked it. It made me wonder how many other times it was bone dry even when I took it to get oil changes without any outward indication.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Probably not bone dry, just below the stick. Keep an eye on that. Have a mechanically inclined friend or mechanic remove the belt and feel all of the pulleys for bearing noise and excessive play.
Sponsored