Sponsored

Stock air box bigger intake tube

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
One stupid question... Since that velossatech big mouth air intake has so obvious advantage, why there is no such design on production vehicles? What is the reason those engineers decided to make twists on the air flow directions?

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Probably becausenypu pickup bugs ect...it also complicates assembly...other cara have used ram air in the past.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
A 3.7l open faced vacuum, being pushed forward at +/- 70mph, seems like it could impair the maintenance interval for the air filter. Which, believe it or not, could push the casual car buyer away. Instead of this upgrade from the factory, putting the IAT sensor in a better spot would have been a better design, IMO.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
That's simple, the answer is cost. You would see these costs reflected back to you the buyer (especially when there's no other vehicles to share common parts with on the production line). Also as another poster stated intervals can be shortened quite a bit with bugs/debris flying to the panel filter. You are starting to see this tech a lot more on higher end cars like the Hellcat and Scat Packs though.

16244354367_69774ff1af_b.jpg

Sponsored

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
Breather size question: I ordered some cool looking ones(Ford Racing) off of eBay only to find out today they are the wrong Size. They are the 1.22" push-ins. What has everybody else used? I cant seem to find any that will work with the 1/4 turn system we have. I am thinking of trying to adapt these to the existing pvc and strip the guts out of it ala Whatdoyoufeedit.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Breather size question: I ordered some cool looking ones(Ford Racing) off of eBay only to find out today they are the wrong Size. They are the 1.22" push-ins. What has everybody else used? I cant seem to find any that will work with the 1/4 turn system we have. I am thinking of trying to adapt these to the existing pvc and strip the guts out of it ala Whatdoyoufeedit.
I ordered an S&B 7/8" (22.2mm) ID filter it was slightly too big. I had to use a heater hose on the valve cover port to make it fit right. The correct size is the 5/8" (15.9mm) ID breather filter. You also want clamp on filters not push ins. Here is the link to the appropriately sized breather filters: http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-B-5-8-ID-...ash=item488e4db4dd:g:xyUAAOSw8oFX0wFs&vxp=mtr

Post pictures of the final project. Let me know if you need any help with which ports to cap etc.

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
Thank for the info! So just gut the pvc and clamp on. I have put in my order!

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
After some more thought.... Do you need to gut the pvc valve or just let it operate normally through the breather?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After some more thought.... Do you need to gut the pvc valve or just let it operate normally through the breather?
When you gut the PCV you have to ether run it to a catch can or vent it to the atmosphere. You no longer can run it back to the intake manifold like stock or you will have more even more oil going into the manifold. You will also need to cap the port coming from the intake manifold to the PCV. You can watch my video and look through my pictures again and it will show that. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
Thanks Feedit. I grasp the process but did not know it gutting the pvc was necessary. My thought was not to gut it is I need to re-install for the dealer for any reason. I would think gutting lets it vent all the time and not gutting it would only vent when enough pressure was present.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Feedit. I grasp the process but did not know it gutting the pvc was necessary. My thought was not to gut it is I need to re-install for the dealer for any reason. I would think gutting lets it vent all the time and not gutting it would only vent when enough pressure was present.
You don't have to delete the pcv if you do not want to (though it is a well worth-it mod). You can just vent the driver's side and add a catch can to the passenger side while maintaining stock connections. What is your goal? Are you trying to do the pcv delete or just wanting to add an air/oil separator? PCV's for these cars are cheap if you ever decide to go back to stock.

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
Again, thanks for the advice! I am going to experiment with a breather on each side and go sans the catch can for now. I will see just what kind of mess that makes before I go all in on the catch can. I have ordered a tube from Fordguy550 and will also delete the other nipple on the stock intake tube. Nothing too fancy but the oil in the intake is crazy! I only have 300 miles as of now so I want to catch this early.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, thanks for the advice! I am going to experiment with a breather on each side and go sans the catch can for now. I will see just what kind of mess that makes before I go all in on the catch can. I have ordered a tube from Fordguy550 and will also delete the other nipple on the stock intake tube. Nothing too fancy but the oil in the intake is crazy! I only have 300 miles as of now so I want to catch this early.
Sounds like a plan. Post pictures of the finished project and once again feel free to ask any questions. :thumbsup:

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
I had my car at the track today....im workjng on your pipe and should have it in the mail mon or tues. Clamps.came in :)

Ran a best of 13.6 [MENTION=17112]10[/MENTION]3 today with a 2.1 60 ft, air sucked..was 3,000ft DA. Means my car would be in the low 13s in really good air

Sponsored